• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 OBS

WilkesboroDude

Thanks hky! You know it's sort of sad though to get this excited over some light snow/flurries lol. Someone asked me one time "why get so exited over some frozen water falling from the sky" and my reply was "it's special and you just don't understand" lol.

Unless it suddenly breaks up, expect that band to get here in the next 15 minutes or so. Fingers crossed, that's for sure.

The upstate looks like it will do pretty well as returns are increasing (although a bit surprised rain has been reported there so far but i don't expect that to last long). Rap is very bullish on totals there and based on radar that looks right. I don't expect a lot of temp increase in the upstate if that occurs. Plus it has the precip extended back to here too (barely) ...although amounts are so light, surface temps will likely rise here.

It is interesting it has a band of heavy precip over the upstate and whoever is under that, if it's right, will certainly be colder and all snow.

congrats on seeing some snow!! looks like you are one of the few georgia peeps with snow at this point lol. if anyone deserves it you do :) terrible out now - sun is out and clouds are basically gone :( ended up with a few decent periods of snow over night and got a dusting.  almost didnt stay up thinking i would get up early today. glad i opted to stay awake, otherwise would have missed the flakes that were here over night

rap seems to show a couple of more periods of light snow, but since it should be over head about now, i am thinking rap is gonna be off too.  short term models have usually done pretty good here when the precip is imminent or underway.  oh well - may be our last, or second to last chance, this year

btw regarding your post above, i am also one of the few who likes ice (any thing frozen better than liquid in the winter haha) but after 2005 and then one event after some snow with about a quarter of an inch the usually frequent ne ga ice events seem to be a thing of the past grrrrr

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice dusting here in Hart county...looks like the band is set up right on top of me. Big wet flakes coming down at a good clip with the temp at 33...beautiful site after two years of waiting.

Nice. Flakes have been pretty decent size at times (after starting off small) here but the band over you is much heavier than here (although it's always hard to judge the accuracy due to all the radar sites have a hard time picking it up here). But despite rather light returns here (almost none), the snow has been between light to close to moderate. Dusting on the tallest grass here and vehicles. Looks like one more heavier band to move through (unless it starts falling apart too)

NeGa, surprised to hear about the clearing and looked at the satellite and was almost shocked. I didn't expect that.

fwiw, returns are increasing from washington ga, to near greenwood (especially west of greenwood), and of course into the upstate. So maybe this is the band the rap sees. If you look at visible satellite imagery, there looks to be a meso low of some kind between greenwood and columbia. So this might be why it's forecasting it.

At any rate. although not much I'm glad to get what i did. At least i saw at least 3 1/2 hours of snow.

Rain changing to snow now in Greenville SC.

Surprised it took this long considering the radar. If it goes to all snow, looks like accumulations are a good bet. Bad news is, of course, it's now daytime. Still with those rates (not sure where you are but they have to be pretty good most places), an inch at least on the grass is probably likely.

Surprised it took this long considering the radar. If it goes to all snow, looks like accumulations are a good bet. Bad news is, of course, it's now daytime. Still with those rates (not sure where you are but they have to be pretty good most places), an inch at least on the grass is probably likely.

It's a pretty heavy snowfall now. Temps are marginal, about 34 with no accumulation as of yet. Nice to look at though. I guess this will probably be it for us in the Upstate for the winter. I hope not.

One last post so I won't annoy anyone lol (unless it's related to what's going on in SC), it's only light snow but I have the largest flakes yet...very good size. Looks like I'll have 4 hours of snow. Given the crappy winters of this year and last year and even though it was only dusting (in spots), needless to say it was very nice to see. It sure makes me wish for a big storm like those two winters a few/several winters ago though. That was just pure awesomeness.

But I will be so depressed when it's over though. :( Since I know odds are against us and we/I will have to wait a long time until next winter for any chance for more.

But can you tell it got me excited and a thrill just to see it :lol: The charistic  of a pure weenie :arrowhead: :lol

One last post so I won't annoy anyone lol (unless it's related to what's going on in SC), it's only light snow but I have the largest flakes yet...very good size. Looks like I'll have 4 hours of snow. Given the crappy winters of this year and last year and even though it was only dusting (in spots), needless to say it was very nice to see. It sure makes me wish for a big storm like those two winters a few/several winters ago though. That was just pure awesomeness.

But I will be so depressed when it's over though. :( Since I know odds are against us and we/I will have to wait a long time until next winter for any chance for more.

But can you tell it got me excited and a thrill just to see it :lol: The charistic  of a pure weenie :arrowhead: :lol

Congrats, you sure deserve it!

Yep it's coming down. Nothing sticking here though. Just a wet ground. Amazing what getting under one of those heavier bands can get you. Feast or famine.  :frostymelt:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 930 AM...AS THE CENTER OF A COMPACT 500 MB LOW CROSSES THE

CWFA THIS MORNING...PRECIP BANDS HAVE EXPANDED TO ITS EAST ACRS THE

SRN NC PIEDMONT AND MUCH OF THE UPSTATE. I BUMPED UP THE POPS TO

LIKELY IN THESE AREAS. AS THE PRECIP RATES INCREASE...RAIN HAS BEEN

MIXING WITH AND CHANGING OVER TO SNOW. A FEW BANDS HAVE BECOME

SOMEWHAT INTENSE IN THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREA. FORTUNATELY...GROUND

TEMPS ARE WARM...AND THE BANDS ARE SMALL AND TRANSITORY. A LOOK AT

AREA WEBCAMS SHOW SNOW STILL NOT STICKING IN MOST SPOTS. SO WILL

HANDLE THIS WITH AN SPS...RATHER THAN A WSW. AS FOR THE CURRENT

WSW...THAT AREA IS IN THE NVA SIDE OF THE VORTMAX...AND CLEARING IS

REALLY EXPANDING ON VIS SAT IMAGERY. I WILL ENTERTAIN CUTTING THE

WINTER WX ADV BACK WITH THE NEXT UPDATE GIVEN TRENDS.

Archived