• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

Okay, I'm gonna be "that guy".

The briefing package #3 says that tropical storm force winds are possible off the NJ coast and there is not tropical storm watch issued.  After Sandy it was stated that the local NWS office could have the power to go against the NHC and issue their own watches.  Since this will be a Friday/Weekend when most out-of-towners are at the shore and will be unfamiliar with conditions and the NWS is already saying that conditions are possible, how come a watch isn't issued?

Asking respectfully.  ;-)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm gonna be "that guy".

The briefing package #3 says that tropical storm force winds are possible off the NJ coast and there is not tropical storm watch issued.  After Sandy it was stated that the local NWS office could have the power to go against the NHC and issue their own watches.  Since this will be a Friday/Weekend when most out-of-towners are at the shore and will be unfamiliar with conditions and the NWS is already saying that conditions are possible, how come a watch isn't issued?

Asking respectfully.  ;-)

I'm not sure where it actually dies, but the nhc has the storm post tropical at our latitude, which may be the reason why...

I'm not sure where it actually dies, but the nhc has the storm post tropical at our latitude, which may be the reason why...

That's the other reason NWS/NHC/NOAA was bashed during Sandy was because they were confusing everyone with the non-tropical vs tropical.  This storm should be the one where they show off all the lessons that were learned.

Speaking of winter, they do issue Winter Storm Warnings during rush hour even when criteria isn't met for min snowfall.  I was just saying that possibly the same could apply for vacation weekend in spring/summer.  They did just issue something that helps.

COASTAL HAZARD MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

842 PM EDT THU JUN 6 2013

...HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM EDT FRIDAY THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM EDT FRIDAY THROUGHFRIDAY EVENING.

* LOCATION...ALONG THE OCEAN FRONT IN NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE.

* RISK OF RIP CURRENTS...IS HIGH.

* SURF HEIGHT...4 TO 6 FEET.

* TIMING AND TIDES...THE RISK OF RIP CURRENTS BECOMING HIGH WILL INCREASE AS THE DAY CONTINUES FRIDAY. HIGH TIDE FRIDAY IS DURING THE EARLY MORNING AND AGAIN IN THE EARLY EVENING.

* OTHER HAZARDS...THERE IS A LOW CHANCE OF MINOR TIDAL FLOODING WITH THE HIGH TIDE CYCLE ON FRIDAY EVENING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH RISK OF RIP CURRENTS IMPLIES THAT WIND AND/OR WAVE CONDITIONS WILL SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF VERY STRONG RIPS CURRENTS. THESE RIP CURRENTS WILL BE LIFE THREATENING TO ANYONE WHO ENTERS THE SURF. RIP CURRENTS ARE POWERFUL CHANNELS OF WATER FLOWING QUICKLY AWAY FROM SHORE...WHICH OCCUR MOST OFTEN AT LOW SPOTS OR BREAKS IN THE SANDBAR AND IN THE VICINITY OF STRUCTURES SUCH AS GROINS...JETTIES AND PIERS. HEED THE ADVICE OF LIFEGUARDS AND THE BEACH PATROL. PAY ATTENTION TO FLAGS AND POSTED SIGNS.

That's the other reason NWS/NHC/NOAA was bashed during Sandy was because they were confusing everyone with the non-tropical vs tropical.  This storm should be the one where they show off all the lessons that were learned.

Those winds are likely to be offshore. The tropical warnings continue on post-trop if...

Beginning 1 June 2013, the National Weather Service (NWS) is adopting two important changes in the way it handles post-tropical cyclones (closed areas of low-pressure that were once tropical cyclones but no longer qualify for that designation). These changes were motivated by experiences associated with Hurricane Sandy last fall. The first of these changes gives the NWS the option to continue issuing formal advisories on post-tropical cyclones, in those cases when the system continues to pose a significant threat to life and property, and when a transfer of responsibility to another office would result in an unacceptable discontinuity in service. The second change would give the NWS the option to keep hurricane and tropical storm watches and warnings in place for those systems.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/20130404_hsu_postTropicalChanges.php

Those winds are likely to be offshore. The tropical warnings continue on post-trop if...

Beginning 1 June 2013, the National Weather Service (NWS) is adopting two important changes in the way it handles post-tropical cyclones (closed areas of low-pressure that were once tropical cyclones but no longer qualify for that designation). These changes were motivated by experiences associated with Hurricane Sandy last fall. The first of these changes gives the NWS the option to continue issuing formal advisories on post-tropical cyclones, in those cases when the system continues to pose a significant threat to life and property, and when a transfer of responsibility to another office would result in an unacceptable discontinuity in service. The second change would give the NWS the option to keep hurricane and tropical storm watches and warnings in place for those systems.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/news/20130404_hsu_postTropicalChanges.php

That is a very good move inlight of what happened during Sandy, the damage far exceded that of a Cat 1 storm.

Not everyone was confused during Sandy regarding non-tropical versus tropical headlines. This system is nothing like Sandy! The main threat all along up here is heavy rain and flooding.

lol bone dry?

thats what i said. before last rain storm i only had .15" in two weeks, soil dry to depth of 3". 2.5" rain here in may most of it hit to the northeast toward ny and it was a dry march-april

but a positive is my grass has hardly been growing so mostly cutting weeds this spring

thats what i said. before last rain storm i only had .15" in two weeks, soil dry to depth of 3". 2.5" rain here in may most of it hit to the northeast toward ny and it was a dry march-april

but a positive is my grass has hardly been growing so mostly cutting weeds this spring

That's nothing. When you've had hardly any measurable for a month, get back to me. 

PS - Really, 0.15" in two weeks?  Parents had 0.63" on 6/3, 0.32" on 5/28, 0.98" on 5/23-25...

I am going to Hershey Park Thursday. Will the storms close anything?

Park itself?

Water Park?

Roller Coasters?

Other rides?

Thanks!!!
Crossing my fingers for an epic storm wednesday night to overturn the atmosphere enough to inhibit anything Thursday. I live in Maryland, (Near DC) so I'm new to this forum.

I am going to Hershey Park Thursday. Will the storms close anything?

Park itself?

Water Park?

Roller Coasters?

Other rides?

Thanks!!!

Crossing my fingers for an epic storm wednesday night to overturn the atmosphere enough to inhibit anything Thursday. I live in Maryland, (Near DC) so I'm new to this forum.

Eeee thursday is not looking good right now...looks like the mass of storms comes in around noon time with the brunt in the later afternoon and evening per euro and gfs.

Archived