• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

I'm going to work can't post links right now. Everything I said is true, fact. The PDO was positive in 97, it didn't go negative until spring 98 and Nino region 3.4 is now over +2.7C. I'm not making this up. I don't know what Steve is talking about. To say it will not have an effect on the 500mb longwave pattern with a Nino this strong is just crazy and defies logic, nature and physics

You are correct the PDO values were positive. But they did drop by December, before rising again in Feb. This doesn't mean I thin 97-98 nino winter:

1997     0.23   0.28   0.65   1.05   1.83   2.76   2.35   2.79   2.19   1.61   1.12   0.671998     0.83   1.56   2.01   1.27   0.70   0.40  -0.04  -0.22  -1.21  -1.39  -0.52  -0.44

http://research.jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me explain why this is not a Super El Nino.  

Look, I get that you see this Kelvin Wave induced spike and say this HAS to be a Super El Nino, but you miss one key point, duration.  I use the ONI, that chart you see with each ENSO report from the CPC, to measure El Nino and La Nina events.  The reason being is that it irons out these short terms spikes and crashes to give you a clear picture of how an ENSO event, warm or cold, influences the atmosphere.  This process has been used for over 40 years and I see no reason why I should stop.  

The current ONI, which will be updated next week for October, is at 1.5.  The El Nino from 1997/98 was at 2.3 for not just one month but for 3 months, which would have a significant impact on the 500 MB weather pattern over North America, no doubt.  That El Nino also featured a -PDO period and below normal SSTA conditions over the western Atlantic.  This year, complete opposite.  So as you can see, the two years are not comparable at all.

I think the focus has to be less on whether it's technically a Super El Nino or not, and more on where the tropical forcing is, where the warmest anomalies are, and how that is going to affect the global circulations down the road over the next few months. Monitoring that will have much more major implications than whether or not this El Nino crosses a certain number threshold or doesn't. 

:Shakes head:  Wrong.  This is why I don't do forums.  Alright, go ahead and believe what you like.

If anyone challenges you then you don't engage....?  "This is why I don't do forums."  You must be "above" the rest of the posters in not just these forums but all the rest as well.  I read your stuff sometimes and it makes me cringe.....

...larry cosgrove concurs..looks like a nice cool down coming..he also agrees with

CFSv2 which shows december to be toasty around here..

I don't see much of a cool down relative to climo. We'll probably still be on the positive side of things.

I guess we're also ignoring the fact that the AO has yet to peak and will be near +5 which has to be close to a record.

The CFSv2 says it will be above normal every month for its entire range of 8 months, thru July! The winter itself (DJF)should be 3-5degs. above normal here and wet. December could be off scale till about the 20th.

The CFS didn't do too well last year. Here's hoping for a repeat performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The CFSv2 says it will be above normal every month for its entire range of 8 months, thru July! The winter itself (DJF)should be 3-5degs. above normal here and wet. December could be off scale till about the 20th.

I only use the CFS if I am sad and am need of a good laugh .

It`s a ^&*( garbage model . PERIOD .

Steve D was just talking on Fox 5. He said get ready for a wild winter. This winter is going to start off warm but then transition into a cold and snowy 2nd half of winter with  above average snowfall. He was also explaining how the El Nino is shifting to a more basin wide look and how region 1 and 2 are cooling and 3 and 4 are warming up. He expects interior areas to see well above normal snowfall and the coast to see the same with a lot of ice and sleet threats as well.

Steve D was just talking on Fox 5. He said get ready for a wild winter. This winter is going to start off warm but then transition into a cold and snowy 2nd half of winter with above average snowfall. He was also explaining how the El Nino is shifting to a more basin wide look and how region 1 and 2 are cooling and 3 and 4 are warming up. He expects interior areas to see well above normal snowfall and the coast to see the same with a lot of ice and sleet threats as well.

Yeah I just watched it. Pretty good explanation.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived