Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

his post an hour ago made no sense:

"** ALERT ** ALL WEATHER MODELS SHIFT TO BIG INLAND SNOWSTORM SCENARIO OF EUROPEAN MODEL *"

and of course now, in addition to making no sense, it has become obsolete.

Right I think he did that before the last euro run on purpose. Now his latest post says the euro shifts east but still turns to rain in nyc

Right I think he did that before the last euro run on purpose. Now his latest post says the euro shifts east but still turns to rain in nyc

Last Tuesday he wrote this:

" *** ALERT ** The period from FEB 10 to FEB 20 for the CONUS east of the Mississippi river... it looks QUIET & CALM with Temps either Normal or maybe 1-2 degrees above Normal

and not even a hint of ANY Significant winter storms . The over all pattern TURNS not just unfavorable for eastern US winter storms but downright HOSTILE . The development of the BIIIG Upper Low in the Gulf of Alaska alters the pattern over North America ina major way."

" *** ALERT ** The period from FEB 10 to FEB 20 for the CONUS east of the Mississippi river... it looks QUIET & CALM with Temps either Normal or maybe 1-2 degrees above Normal

and not even a hint of ANY Significant winter storms . The over all pattern TURNS not just unfavorable for eastern US winter storms but downright HOSTILE . The development of the BIIIG Upper Low in the Gulf of Alaska alters the pattern over North America ina major way."

While this dead wrong currently it may not be that bad next week. I think the mid week threat is the end of the party around here for a while

If the PV shifts to over Alaska, that's essentially the end of winter for us unless that shifts away. That's about the worst pattern we could have. That's pretty much 40s and calm weather pending any cutters that come through courtesy of the rampaging Pacific jet. Hopefully this storm for Thursday pans out because it would be lights out for the snowpack fast.

Not sure what justifies the low amounts when he's following the euro ensembles and they have much higher amounts for the coast

You know what justifies it : Pure haterad for the Northeast region in general and NYC specfically, his > 4in amount around here lower than any model ( other than the out 2 lunch GFS) but its his usual jab at us :).  Uknow what? OK & Ill laugh all the way to the bank with a potentially historic winter while he cries in 5 inches for winter down south!

JB saying , he`s not paying attention to the American models , thinks the UKMET  is right and thinks the Euro will be west at 0z .

We will see.

Lol. There's no mechanism in this pattern to stall out a low like that off our shores. It's absurd and he will be hideously wrong. Euro will likely be east with some better sampling of the kicker hopefully now ingested.

Lol. There's no mechanism in this pattern to stall out a low like that off our shores. It's absurd and he will be hideously wrong. Euro will likely be east with some better sampling of the kicker hopefully now ingested.

Theres no talk of a stall - the UKMET comes from OBX to AC . "  Kickers "  don't save you from NEG  tilted bombs

Theres no talk of a stall - the UKMET comes from OBX to AC . "  Kickers "  don't save you from NEG  tilted bombs

It's what the Ukie is doing. It sits the low off ACY and occludes it. There's no mechanism to accomplish that in this pattern. Underestimating the GL low just because there is a negative tilted bombing low is a huge mistake. I've seen that underestimation bite a forecast in the arse too many times to count.

I'll add that the Ukie is on it's own with that depiction. Not even the well west 12z Euro and it's ensembles depicted that idiocy on the Ukie. Also these days the Euro often following suit wiith the Ukie theory has become a farse.

It's what the Ukie is doing. It sits the low off ACY and occludes it. There's no mechanism to accomplish that in this pattern. Underestimating the GL low just because there is a negative tilted bombing low is a huge mistake. I've seen that underestimation bite a forecast in the arse too many times to count.

I like OBX to the mouth of the Delaware then 75 miles E of AC . My issue is if the  Euro is neg tilted at OBX  you will see it come due N like the UKMET .

Wana get passed the Euro before I can dismiss the UKIE .

It's what the Ukie is doing. It sits the low off ACY and occludes it. There's no mechanism to accomplish that in this pattern. Underestimating the GL low just because there is a negative tilted bombing low is a huge mistake. I've seen that underestimation bite a forecast in the arse too many times to count.

I'll add that the Ukie is on it's own with that depiction. Not even the well west 12z Euro and it's ensembles depicted that idiocy on the Ukie.

I think he was talking about the track not whether it stalls or not. A track from nc to AC is still possible

I think he was talking about the track not whether it stalls or not. A track from nc to AC is still possible

Track is not impossible of course but again I think any model that underestimates the Great Lakes low acting as a kicker and tracks the storm in the manner the Ukie does is very suspect.

Track is not impossible of course but again I think any model that underestimates the Great Lakes low acting as a kicker and tracks the storm in the manner the Ukie does is very suspect.

I think the low will try to climb north or just east of north for a time-that is one powerful trough and it will spin up the low fast. Also lots of Gulf moisture. The key is really how fast the northern stream is, and how fast the southern stream system is. If these are faster, the resulting trough will be forced east. If they are slower, tracks like the UK are possible. Hopefully the Euro edge east a little bit tonight but I have a feeling it will be very similar to the UK.

Are the media outlets being overly conservative with this storm afraid of busting high and creating histeria? It seems like with all of the guidance the calls I am seeing for NYC East are on the light side and almost ALL include changing over... it seems like many of the models are showing and trending otherwise or at least minimizing the effect of the changeover.

Are the media outlets being overly conservative with this storm afraid of busting high and creating histeria? It seems like with all of the guidance the calls I am seeing for NYC East are on the light side and almost ALL include changing over... it seems like many of the models are showing and trending otherwise or at least minimizing the effect of the changeover.

I think they are just being cautious right now. If the 12z runs hold serve or trend better, the media outlets will be more aggressive with snowfall amounts. Then you will see Bill Evans 10-16  shift into the metro area.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived