• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

This forum lacks serious post quality. I love all of you guys but really, it's awful at times. There has to be a breaking point and I'm not sure what it is. But people need to really start thinking before they post. Think about quality discussion and think about what your post will add to it before you post it. That is the base of the issue.

There is also a very odd sense of entitlement on this forum and it causes a lot of bickering and arguing -- I don't understand it either. You're not all that great, I'm not all that great. We're talking about weather.

I completely understand why some meteorologists are fed up with this forum. And as much as I want to fix it I don't have the energy to sit here all day and delete posts.

I agree, and the mud slinging and bickering can get out of control at times. I spend quite a bit of time lurking on these forums and post more (but still limited) when there is a potential storm on the horizon or in the obs threads during storms, I leave the more scientific weather discussion to the people who understand it best. I have been around here for a while and also go back to the old Wright Weather Board days, for me, this is a great place to get weather information and has benefited me especially being involved in the public safety field both as a volunteer and full time employee.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, and the mud slinging and bickering can get out of control at times. I spend quite a bit of time lurking on these forums and post more (but still limited) when there is a potential storm on the horizon or in the obs threads during storms, I leave the more scientific weather discussion to the people who understand it best. I have been around here for a while and also go back to the old Wright Weather Board days, for me, this is a great place to get weather information and has benefited me especially being involved in the public safety field both as a volunteer and full time employee.

This board is a great learning resource, and that's ultimately what people should be here for-to learn and interact respectfully, since this is everyone's hobby, or career. I've been following the weather for a long time but am nowhere near knowing everything. If you're here to argue and troll, you can do that over PM, the banter thread, or better yet just log yourself out until you calm down. It's ridiculous that guys like Dsnowx/Earthlight have to babysit in some cases people double their age who can't control themselves. If it's really that bad for you, just log out. It's a weather internet forum, not something that's life or death.

This board is a great learning resource, and that's ultimately what people should be here for-to learn and interact respectfully, since this is everyone's hobby, or career. I've been following the weather for a long time but am nowhere near knowing everything. If you're here to argue and troll, you can do that over PM, the banter thread, or better yet just log yourself out until you calm down. It's ridiculous that guys like Dsnowx/Earthlight have to babysit in some cases people double their age who can't control themselves. If it's really that bad for you, just log out. It's a weather internet forum, not something that's life or death.

This. Ever since I joined here I've learned so much. I don't think age is the issue or anything. I think it's people who just don't understand. I read through disco threads reading posts like "I hope it snows", or "this is great". Not that it's bad, I don't mind reading them, but they're irrelevant when someone is here to learn and read about weather. I'm still learning myself, which is why I usually just read disco threads and refrain from posting in them. The pointless posts, some of it is from new posters who aren't assured of the rules. Some of it's from posters that have been here a while and hold a grudge against someone else. We're all here for weather. Sometimes it gets out of hand, whether it's jealousy or feeling what someone posts is incorrect, we need to realize what we're ultimately here for. To discuss, not to bicker.

This. Ever since I joined here I've learned so much. I don't think age is the issue or anything. I think it's people who just don't understand. I read through disco threads reading posts like "I hope it snows", or "this is great". Not that it's bad, I don't mind reading them, but they're irrelevant when someone is here to learn and read about weather. I'm still learning myself, which is why I usually just read disco threads and refrain from posting in them. The pointless posts, some of it is from new posters who aren't assured of the rules. Some of it's from posters that have been here a while and hold a grudge against someone else. We're all here for weather. Sometimes it gets out of hand, whether it's jealousy or feeling what someone posts is incorrect, we need to realize what we're ultimately here for. To discuss, not to bicker.

spirited debate should be encouraged but that is a fine art in itself - and shouldn't become personal - have to also understand that many folks here never took a course in meteorology and are just hobbyists - the METS should understand this and if they can't accept it they should find a forum where just METS post - an idea would be to create a thread here where just METS post on individual storms and the non - METS just are able to read - I think that would be interesting and educational...

This forum lacks serious post quality. I love all of you guys but really, it's awful at times. There has to be a breaking point and I'm not sure what it is. But people need to really start thinking before they post. Think about quality discussion and think about what your post will add to it before you post it. That is the base of the issue.

There is also a very odd sense of entitlement on this forum and it causes a lot of bickering and arguing -- I don't understand it either. You're not all that great, I'm not all that great. We're talking about weather.

I completely understand why some meteorologists are fed up with this forum. And as much as I want to fix it I don't have the energy to sit here all day and delete posts.

I have posted before that the analysis is redundant and incorrect. I don't analyze models because I don't feel qualified but I read the comments and its utterly ridiculous to have go thru so many incorrect posts.

I also believe each model run should be analyzed by one qualified person.

Rossi

I really have learned a great deal from this forum, from books, and just from following the progression and developments of different storms. You become acquainted with different types of storms, what could possibly happen and what could go right and wrong in each situations. Also.....I've learned how models analyze different types of storms and even simple things such as how to read the models. It's fun....really fun. I could never at this point submit a serious forecast, however I do feel that I (and many others here) are educated enough to at least throw in our opinions or "calls" as to how much snow/precip we will get, or how we think a storm will be. To be honest....I do get told to shut up (though in nicer words) many times when I post calls a few days out, I really have not been that far off the past couple years. Cheers to everyone here ! And thank you for teaching so well....it's rare that you have so many educated people on a forum

Interesting on this map. Does Central NJ down to Philly get somewhat dryslotted? Seems like central PA and NYC north get the most

***ALERT: EUROPEAN MODEL GOES NOR'EASTER ROUTE FOR THURSDAY/FRIDAY***

We are now sounding the alarms... This is a threat that we need to start taking very seriously. This is no longer a question of if a storm is coming, but rather how much. No model has anything less than 2 to 4 inches, and Euro just showed the upside potential. This is not an official call from us yet, but you need to start thinking about alternate plans for the end of this week with regard to travel. The whole idea here is to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It is not often that we use such strong working with regard to a storm potential, but this threat is only 72 to 100 hours out, and it is not often that the European model is wrong to this degree at this range. We are taking it very seriously and we recommend that all of you do as well. If the larger amounts do not work out as shown on this map, at least you were prepared for it.
1545989_443470139087265_2031659316_n.jpg

Interesting on this map. Does Central NJ down to Philly get somewhat dryslotted? Seems like central PA and NYC north get the most

***ALERT: EUROPEAN MODEL GOES NOR'EASTER ROUTE FOR THURSDAY/FRIDAY***

We are now sounding the alarms... This is a threat that we need to start taking very seriously. This is no longer a question of if a storm is coming, but rather how much. No model has anything less than 2 to 4 inches, and Euro just showed the upside potential. This is not an official call from us yet, but you need to start thinking about alternate plans for the end of this week with regard to travel. The whole idea here is to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. It is not often that we use such strong working with regard to a storm potential, but this threat is only 72 to 100 hours out, and it is not often that the European model is wrong to this degree at this range. We are taking it very seriously and we recommend that all of you do as well. If the larger amounts do not work out as shown on this map, at least you were prepared for it.

1545989_443470139087265_2031659316_n.jpg

That area almost gets skipped over because the CCB develops a hair too far north with most of it more towards NNJ and up into New England.

DT reminds me of Henry Marqusity.  I love how he will call out other Mets and laugh out loud at their forecast only to see his bust.  He posted last night his first guess which he based on the mid day Euro and then the Euro flips.  I used to like it when DT did his Woof Woof alerts but now I cringe when he is on board.  We all know that these forecast are very difficult and I would not put down DT but the dude brings it on himself.  I am hoping for yesterday's Euro solution but if it doesn't happen my only consolation is to see DT bust again.

JB: "The problem I have with flatter models is they are jumping low to polar front well east. The arctic boundary is where this will deepen imo. This happens quite often. Models develop storm on warmer of two boundaries. ECWMF develops storm on true arctic front More likely."

via twitter

He thinks 4 to 8 NYC locally 12  

He thinks 4 -8 locally 12 - sorry bout that

Larry Cosgrove:

"It isn't a miss. Moisture stream across southern U.S. merges with digging shortwave from Pacific Northwest. Moderate/heavy snow band Ohio Valley, Middle Appalachia, Mid-Atlantic states, southern New England.

With gusty winds and piercing cold, too. Happy New Year everyone."

He's going for 6-9 inches for NYC area.

Yeh JB  said he thinks we can get to .75 at 15 to 1 with Blizz conditions , said the surface maps don't match the 500 mb maps

which have been stronger the last 2 runs

We'll see. If thats true I'd expect tonight's runs to make some decent improvements towards that solution. But we'll all probably be too hammered to notice lol

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived