joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A day like today in the hills cloudy with no wind and low 30s dews does nothing to melt an ice pack. You saw Coventrys picture. Still a solid 7-9 left in my area .

More draining away of yesterdays rainwater than snowmelt today. The ice underneath this snow is 1-2" thick. Even yesterday's heavy rains and subsequent small river in my backyard could not melt the snow down to grass.

More draining away of yesterdays rainwater than snowmelt today. The ice underneath this snow is 1-2" thick. Even yesterday's heavy rains and subsequent small river in my backyard could not melt the snow down to grass.

Yeah hill snowpack is much different than inner city snowpack we're reading about wherr theres mud and flowers. No grass for us for a few more weeks except maybe in Full sun south facing slopes. Your yard looks like it gets a good amount if sun and still full cover.

You really need dews >37F or so to put a big hurtin' on the snow pack. That happened in a lot of CT yesterday and SE MA where it was raining at like 38-40F for much of the day, but the majority of the elevated interior was not warm enough for that except maybe very briefly...the rain at 34-36F is less destrcutive to the snow pack....that's why I said before the storm that Kevin's snow pack would survive despite a good shot of rain.

You really need dews >37F or so to put a big hurtin' on the snow pack. That happened in a lot of CT yesterday and SE MA where it was raining at like 38-40F for much of the day, but the majority of the elevated interior was not warm enough for that except maybe very briefly...the rain at 34-36F is less destrcutive to the snow pack....that's why I said before the storm that Kevin's snow pack would survive despite a good shot of rain.

Even Scooter thought id lose all mine yesterday lol. Silly silly Scoots

Yeah hill snowpack is much different than inner city snowpack we're reading about wherr theres mud and flowers. No grass for us for a few more weeks except maybe in Full sun south facing slopes. Your yard looks like it gets a good amount if sun and still full cover.

You're gonna have a slow bleeding. It won't last a few weeks unless it gets replaced.

If I didn't expect to lose all mine, why would I expect you to lose all yours? You lost a bunch with temps in the U30s and +RA...but I never said all.

You and Phil were hitting each others weenie buzzers yesterday . Buzzing and lighting them off like it was the 4 th of July telling me I'd lose it all. Go back and check out the posts from you two yesterday.

2010? FLOOD warnings on the Pawcatuck

Just noticed this...

And according to the Airport - only .79 rain fell...

My Davis recorded 1.31 and the MADIS Westerly site recorded 1.38.  The Airport is in between those two locations

I'm about 4 miles ESE of the Airport and the MADIS (if it's where I think it is...) is about 1.5 miles north of the Airport.

I sent a note to Taunton (via an online Spotter Report form)letting them know there appears to be discrepancies (with the airport always reporting on the low (at times very low side)) of liquid precip.  Got nothing back from them and the discrepancies continue.  

Any ideas who to/how to contact Taunton directly about this?  Climate records are being affected but more importantly accurate adviories and/or warnings for flooding may be affected as well.

Just noticed this...

And according to the Airport - only .79 rain fell...

My Davis recorded 1.31 and the MADIS Westerly site recorded 1.38.  The Airport is in between those two locations

I'm about 4 miles ESE of the Airport and the MADIS (if it's where I think it is...) is about 1.5 miles north of the Airport.

I sent a note to Taunton (via an online Spotter Report form)letting them know there appears to be discrepancies (with the airport always reporting on the low (at times very low side)) of liquid precip.  Got nothing back from them and the discrepancies continue.  

Any ideas who to/how to contact Taunton directly about this?  Climate records are being affected but more importantly accurate adviories and/or warnings for flooding may be affected as well.

Their FB page?

You and Phil were hitting each others weenie buzzers yesterday . Buzzing and lighting them off like it was the 4 th of July telling me I'd lose it all. Go back and check out the posts from you two yesterday.

Because it's fun doing that, but nobody with a sense of met background would think 6" of concrete would melt in 6 hrs.

These high dews are just lethal to the pack. 

45/37 here. The 24-hour FARS on the Davis is awesome! It's working great. Also the tipping bucket is good. Had 1.51" in that from the rain storm and 1.46" in my cocorahs gauge. That pretty close.

4.97" of rain here on the month. 

I know this is off topic but you might want to calibrate that tipping bucket - That's over a 3% error and remember that the bucket is going to miss some while it's tipping.  As on of my old Professors at Lyndon (Dr. Gannon) used to say, "it's close enough for government work but not enough for me".  lol

I know what you're saying though.  It's nice being able to see our data.

Archived