Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 22/23 - Discussion and Obs for a mixed bag event

MN Transplant

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nam jokes aside, the hp nosing down in canada has been there for runs of all models. It's cold outside now. Antecedent airmass is cold going in along with a 1030+hp flexing it's muscles as precip arrives. GL low isn't that strong either. It's not going to be a waa machine pushing the hp out of the way. It's a pretty standard battle of airmasses and in this case I would hedge on the colder aim mass winning for a time at least. I'm more concerned about precip but we did just get nam'd so...

Heh, I just actually looked at the NAM.   Wedge is in there longer than I thought.  We just need some good precip.  I wish that great lakes low would just collapse and die quicker. 

Considering the beast it once was on the models it's become a kitten already (all things considered). 

700 looks "ok" for a period of "ok" rates. I love a good nam'ing in the morning. 

Nam jokes aside, the hp nosing down in canada has been there for runs of all models. It's cold outside now. Antecedent airmass is cold going in along with a 1030+hp flexing it's muscles as precip arrives. GL low isn't that strong either. It's not going to be a waa machine pushing the hp out of the way. It's a pretty standard battle of airmasses and in this case I would hedge on the colder aim mass winning for a time at least. I'm more concerned about precip but we did just get nam'd so...

Dusting to 1"... The forecast of a winner.

My thinking (cue Ian) is that the cold will still overperform.  It's cold.  The ground is cold.  The low is 1000 miles away.  Where's all this warming supposed to come from.  The NAM trend (cue Ian) is wetter.  

However, Ian is right, it's the NAM.  Randy is right, it's the NAM and probably just lining us up for kick number 100 on the season.  But, it IS possible.

AND ...........last Wed when the soundings were flying around like crazy saying it couldn't snow because it was too warm........what was the result..........that's right.............an all snow event everywhere except sea level.

This looks like an inch of snow.. then maybe up to a tenth inch of ice on top... then it all gets blown away Saturday morning by the rain

If I get an inch with some ice on top, I'll be happy given how this winter has gone. it's nearing the point where I start to tire of the cold if its not useful.

My thinking (cue Ian) is that the cold will still overperform.  It's cold.  The ground is cold.  The low is 1000 miles away.  Where's all this warming supposed to come from.  The NAM trend (cue Ian) is wetter.  

However, Ian is right, it's the NAM.  Randy is right, it's the NAM and probably just lining us up for kick number 100 on the season.  But, it IS possible.

AND ...........last Wed when the soundings were flying around like crazy saying it couldn't snow because it was too warm........what was the result..........that's right.............an all snow event everywhere except sea level.

ive kinda silently liked this one for a few days at least tempwise..tho it's still gonna be lame imo. 

just don't be upset when we get .07=-.11" liquid

If I get an inch with some ice on top, I'll be happy given how this winter has gone. it's nearing the point where I started to tire of the cold if its not useful.

It will be a very shortlived ice/snow "event"... and I am assuming ice from 36-42 because the 2m temps are 30-32 around the area and 850s go slightly above 0... with no heavy rates, i would expect light freezing rain

I think you're in a good spot.  Us, naso much.

It will be a very shortlived ice/snow "event"... and I am assuming ice from 36-42 because the 2m temps are 30-32 around the area and 850s go slightly above 0... with no heavy rates, i would expect light freezing rain

The soundings say sleet not freezing rain.  The question is whether the NAM rates and amounts are right or not. I haven't seen the Euro, how much qpf did it and last night's 06Z GFS have on us?   Back to the west, they'll probably see snow for much of the event. 

Archived