• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring

Mr Torchey

In my records, I include morning lows and afternoon highs on days like that with atypical diurnal temp trends. An example - my temp obs are taken at 9 PM (I do precip at both 9P, and 7A for cocorahs), and for 3/6/07 my high was 19 at 9P. Low was -13 about 7 AM, and it never got warmer than -2 until the next day - coldest March afternoon I've recorded anywhere, including Ft. Kent.

A side issue: I'd guess that a station recording at midnight would avg 0.5 to 1F milder than one recording at 7A, both because of the "leftover" 12:01 highs and the frequent "double count" of morning lows. (Farmington's lowest ever March temps were -25 on 3/1 and 3/2/82. Nearby stations with midnight obs - LEW,WVL,AUG - had minima 16 to 26F milder on 3/2 than on 3/1.)

A station recording at 7AM in April has an approximate bias of -0.3C on high temps and -0.6C on low temps. See the 1986 JCAM paper by Karl et al: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0450%281986%29025%3C0145%3AAMTETT%3E2.0.CO%3B2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The past week has been nothing short of perfection.  Barely a cloud in the sky all week long.  :sizzle:

Now we just need to get some humidity and summer warmth...

Back to back delightful weekends with mainly clear skies and highs in the 60's to around 70. Got a few rounds of golf in, as this upcoming weekend may not cooperate...

• 2 weeks later...

yes, but this thread was made around 2/20, met spring starts 3/1....

Yes, but it was talking about "Morch magic" and people about to start tossing frisbees and going to the beach...it was not a realistic weather thread in any of the same spirit that other long range threads are...even ones talking about summer and torches.

It was a pretty obvious troll thread from the start. Its fine, we kept it up all spring and didn't delete. But to claim it had the same legitamacy as most of the other longer range threads is not believable.

Yes, but it was talking about "Morch magic" and people about to start tossing frisbees and going to the beach...it was not a realistic weather thread in any of the same spirit that other long range threads are...even ones talking about summer and torches.

It was a pretty obvious troll thread from the start. Its fine, we kept it up all spring and didn't delete. But to claim it had the same legitamacy as most of the other longer range threads is not believable.

Fair enough.   I actually think one troll thread is fine--keep the trolling /agendas in that one and keep the others on topic....

Archived