Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a WWA but nothing up your way. I guess it has to do with precip arrival. Although this little thing is going to be an odd bird in that it starts as freezing rain here and then changes to snow, with around an inch or so. 

Yea this storm has looked odd for the last several days, seemingly looking to force a changeover to snow before the front even arrives... especially on the NAM and Euro. Dry air is likely going to allow the temps aloft.. which will surge above freezing tonight (esp at 850 but even creeping a bit above freezing at 925 as well)... to collapse the column when heavier precip arrives. It's a bit of a difficult call with ptypes but overall a minor event QPF wise. Given our track record this winter we'll probably sneak an inch or so in the AOO-UNV corridor before it melts off later in the day.

CTP essentially issuing advisory for the threat of generally a tenth or less of ZR as any snow amounts are below criteria, so timing is likely why they didn't expand the advisory to the rest of the north-central. Surface temps will be marginal or above freezing during the day Tuesday most everywhere, so even if it were to snow further northeast, accums might be limited. Still think the northwestern-most portion of CTP's area could sneak out perhaps 2-3 inches in places. 

Heavy sleet for about 20min. Now mod snow

Totally off topic, but I love your area. I grew up in York and my father and I used to go fishing a fair amount in that area, we used to enjoy fishing Bermudian Creek and would take a back scenic route up to the trout streams around Caledonia. Such a beautiful area, a mix of apple trees, farms, and forests. 

Totally off topic, but I love your area. I grew up in York and my father and I used to go fishing a fair amount in that area, we used to enjoy fishing Bermudian Creek and would take a back scenic route up to the trout streams around Caledonia. Such a beautiful area, a mix of apple trees, farms, and forests. 

well thanks.  It is a nice area.  I grew up here with my parents living in Orrtanna.  I started my coop site there and made the big move to Cashtown (1mile away) to 2011. 

just thumping right now   roads are terrible

I'm getting a lot of grief from my non-weenie friends right now after I told them yesterday that we'd hardly see any frozen precip here in HBG. I don't think one single forecast called for snow here today. I wonder what's going on. I did notice when I went to bed last night that we had already fallen below our expected low temp. Any real mets on here want to comment on what's happening?

Archived