Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

New thread, here's CTP's current take on the events of the upcoming week :

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY/...AFTER A CHILLY MORNING...HIGH PRESSURE SHOULD PROVIDE FOR FAIRAND SEASONABLE MONDAY WITH TEMPS REBOUNDING TO THE 30S. ALL MDLDATA TRACKING NEXT LOW PRES SYSTEM NORTH OF PA ON TUESDAY. APERIOD OF PRECIP WILL ACCOMPANY THE ASSOCIATED LL JET AS IT SWEEPSTHRU CENTRAL PA. LATEST MDL RUNS NOW INDICATE A WEAK SECONDARYLOW ALONG TRAILING COLD FRONT WILL ACTUALLY PASS SOUTH OF PA ANDMDL SOUNDINGS HAVE ACCORDINGLY TRENDED TOWARD A COLDER SOLUTIONWITH THE POTENTIAL OF A FEW INCHES OF SNOW...ESP ACROSS THE NWMTNS.GOOD AGREEMENT IN THE GUIDANCE FOR THE FRONTAL TIMING GIVES AFAIRLY HIGH CONFIDENCE THAT THE FRONT WILL BE EXITING MY EASTERNZONES BY LATE IN THE DAY TUESDAY...WITH A PRETTY TYPICAL POST COLDFRONTAL NW FLOW PATTERN DEVELOPING IN ITS WAKE. WESTERN ANDNORTHERN AREAS WOULD THEN BECOME FAVORED FOR SNOW SHOWERACTIVITY...WITH CHANCES WANING AS ONE MOVES AWAY FROM WESTERN HIGHTERRAIN.THE CHILLY NW FLOW WILL REMAIN THROUGH MID WEEK BEFORE A BRIEFIMPROVEMENT SETS IN FOR THURSDAY...JUST AHEAD OF THE NEXT FRONTALSYSTEM SLATED FOR THE END OF THE WEEK. OVERALL IT WILL BE A COLDERTHAN NORMAL WEEK WITH PLENTY OF CLOUDS AND SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERSIN THE CLIMATALOGICALLY FAVORED AREAS.BULK OF MED RANGE GUIDANCE INDICATES THE SOUTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVEFOR LATE WEEK WILL OPEN UP/SHEAR OUT AS IT LIFTS INTO THE GRT LKS. TOOEARLY TO HASH OUT THE FCST DETAILS FOR THE LOCAL AREA...BUT A LIGHTWINTRY MIX APPEARS MOST LIKELY ARND NEXT FRIDAY.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z Euro puts out several inches of accumulating snow in Central PA Saturday night into Sunday. Completely different look than the 12z run from yesterday. The new Canadian (the new, upgraded version) goes with a quick thump of snow Friday into Saturday. 

Here's a link to the new Canadian: http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?run=12&map=na&mod=gemglb〈=en

...goes out to 240 hours now and has upgraded physics/data ingestion. Has done pretty well with the coastal system forming now, so we'll see how it holds up the rest of this winter. 

philipsburg ytd is 34.5"    (1720ft)

state college ytd is 31.5"   (1170ft)

tyrone ytd is 24.6"    (890ft)

I went through the recent C-PA threads last night and finally added the rest of my snow totals from mid Jan (20.8" as of Jan 16th) to now and came up with 36.1" here which is at about 1200ft elevation. Me and Jamie usually end up with pretty similar results because we have about the same proximity being right at the foot of the Allegheny Front. I'm surprised my total actually surpasses Philipsburg's but I was aided greatly by the V-day death band dumping 5 inches. I saw the coop observer up there only reported 1.6" for that event.. they must've just missed out on the band. 

And wow, Philipsburg only has 3 more inches than State College, which could possibly be a testament to lack of a normal LES regime this year. Today I think might be the first day this winter I've seen a more classically oriented NW flow and the Laurels are accumulating snow like they should in those situations. 

Anything exciting in the works? I know we have rain and snow showers on tap for Tuesday.

Monday night/Tuesday's event is likely going to translate into a minor advisory event for at least the western and north central counties as temps aloft look to warm marginally enough to introduce a mix threat while surface temps should be at or below freezing at the onset. Probably a 1-3 of snow and/or less than 0.1" of freezing rain type deal. SREFs have been pegging the north central counties with high snow probs of 1+ and most models have generally kept that region mostly snow, so I can see the more mountainous parts of Lycoming and Clinton Counties as well as the NY border northern tier counties getting a couple inches of snow. Locations like AOO, UNV, and IPT I think see an inch or less with the trace of ice. I won't rule out mixing issues further southeast either, but later onset further east might make for a more liquid result if onset doesn't occur til later in the morning. If the precip comes in early, then we could be talking the same kind of wintry issues as the AOO/UNV/IPT corridor and a potential advisory. 

This event is not really a big one QPF wise and will likely roll through pretty quickly with the frontal passage resuming the colder regime for most of the rest of the week. The next system, which as I said a few days ago is shaping up to be a pretty widespread winter storm for the US looks to make whatever impacts to PA around Friday/Sat. Models have generally agreed on a much more sheared out type system as of late (somewhat similar to V-day) as it gets to the eastern US, making for only light precip in PA. The primary low attempts to cut into the Great Lakes, but will be met by blocking in Canada. There will likely be a forced secondary on the coast. That storms still in the D5-6 range, thus certainty on details continues to be sketchy.

I went through the recent C-PA threads last night and finally added the rest of my snow totals from mid Jan (20.8" as of Jan 16th) to now and came up with 36.1" here which is at about 1200ft elevation. Me and Jamie usually end up with pretty similar results because we have about the same proximity being right at the foot of the Allegheny Front. I'm surprised my total actually surpasses Philipsburg's but I was aided greatly by the V-day death band dumping 5 inches. I saw the coop observer up there only reported 1.6" for that event.. they must've just missed out on the band. 

And wow, Philipsburg only has 3 more inches than State College, which could possibly be a testament to lack of a normal LES regime this year. Today I think might be the first day this winter I've seen a more classically oriented NW flow and the Laurels are accumulating snow like they should in those situations. 

you have me by a few inches as well :P

Off-topic, but: THON raises a record $12,374,034.46 for the Four Diamonds Fund! FTK!

And has anyone checked Twitter lately? -points to the bottom-

thon13_zps1679fbe8.png

That's great! I've been to a few of them when someone I know is participating. Very, very cool event.

philipsburg ytd is 34.5"    (1720ft)

state college ytd is 31.5"   (1170ft)

tyrone ytd is 24.6"    (890ft)

Thanks!

Totally agree. Even last year they had decent lake effect.

Archived