• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1992 - Michigan's Year Without A Summer

mjwise

Has the look that it should be snowing in Toronto and thereabouts.

They did get (two) freezes in Duluth and maybe northern Wisconsin out of it, although I can't find any warning products to back that up. Lows reached 30-31. I have to believe Freeze warnings would have been issued, even for locales that far north.

Volcano makes sense, but i'm sure the size, how high the ash cloud rises, the type of particles, the weather at the time, latitude of the volcanon, elevation, etc probably all play into it...of course if Yellowstone blows, we can all kids our butts goodbye :)

Personally, if last summer is what summer is going to be like, give me another volcano.  That was horrible... 

I've always said, i'd rather have a record cold summer then a record cold winter!

I remember the June 17/18 squall line event well. It was clear skies all day at my house, and then the squall line hit after dark. It was pretty intense. And yes, I am old, since I was in college that year. :)

June 16th was the busy up here previous to the squall hitting your area. 

Minnesota had a total of 27 tornadoes including an F 5 (Minnesota's last F or EF 5), one F 4 and six F 3's.  Overall the 15th though the 18th was one of the larger tornado outbreaks.   That was a powerful system that brought the cold.

Here are the records set during May-August 1992 in Chicago:

5/5/92:  record low (32)

5/6/92:  record low (30)

5/24/92:  record low (34)

5/25/92:  record low (32)

5/27/92:  record low (33)

5/28/92:  record low (33)

6/20/92:  record low max (57)

6/20/92:  record low (43)

6/21/92:  record low (38)

6/26/92:  record low (50)

6/27/92:  record low (47)

6/28/92:  record low (44)

7/23/92:  record low max (64)

8/19/92:  record low (51)

• 4 years later...

This brings back a lot of memories as I was also 9 in Detroit back in 1992.  I basically got into the habit of checking the weather on a regular basis which continued to this day because of how much everyone seemed to talk about the weather that year, from my teachers to parents, relatives, other kids, etc.  I still vividly remember my dad turning on the heater in late August as he mumbled how it was so ridiculous.

I had a similar experience in Southern California in 2010 as I was struggling financially (like most people after the crisis) and opted to rent a cheap room in someone's house with no A/C.  Thank god we had a unusually cool summer (which rivaled the summer of 1992 in Detroit, but you gotta cut Detroit some slack for being so far north, unlike Los Angeles.)  I remember having to wear a jacket on the 4th of July as the temperature didn't even break 70, let alone 80, and it was raining which was quite rare for California summers.  I don't think we had maybe 1 or 2 days break 90 and only 3-4 days break 80 during the entire summer.  Strangely enough, a few days after the Autumnal equinox in late September, Los Angeles recorded their all time record temperature of 113 or something.  Needless to say, I was sweating badly while living in the no-AC home.

• 2 years later...