SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16th-17th Potential Winter Storm Part II

earthlight

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The coastal areas yes, sometimes ATL/RDU/BHM can get big snows from the same storms we do, its pretty rare though for CHS/HAT to do so though, sort of the same for Virginia Beach

yea. CLT is sort of in between. the biggest snowstorms Ive looked into, precip never made it past Ocean City, MD latitude. im sure there are storms Im missing  as I havent found all of the top 10 snowstorms. Im sure after the first 5, it is decline to pathetic amounts.

my heart is still in the NE though, Ive been tracking the storms the past couple weeks with you guys as if I never left...I cant seem to let go lol. winter down here is really boring.

If the GFS is onto something and the euro backs it up tonight, a flight back to CT is on the table.

A solid advisory event for here on the GFS, from about Fairfield east it's .5"+ Much improved trend, probably 3-5" here verbatim(Guessing around .35" or so with decent ratios), and if we can get this general theme to play out would not be suprised to see an increase in the QPF as we get closer. Nice start to 0z, lets see what everything else does. (Well, the 0z that we care about, excluding the NAM)

-skisheep

It's a monster on the GFS, and just SO close. It would take a very slight shift closer to the coast with this bring us significant if not a heavy snowfall. I would like to the Euro get on board with this before alarming the public. If the Euro does not get on board, the odds are this is an extremely near miss. But I would not declare this over yet, that's for sure!

WX/PT

Saw the GFS, big potential here but I'm again just at the intrigued stage. A minor correction here or there could blow this up or knock the whole house of cards over. If the Euro still appears lame, it's probably a "next...." for me. I'd really want some other guidance to consistently show an amped solution at this stage.

As others have said, the GFS is fairly close to significant snows up and down the east coast.

But I think it will end up a western outlier based on what I have seen from the NAM, UK, and RGEM.

Coastal mid-Atlantic might get a surprise snow out of this.  Still a little time but odds are long.

As others have said, the GFS is fairly close to significant snows up and down the east coast.

But I think it will end up a western outlier based on what I have seen from the NAM, UK, and RGEM.

Coastal mid-Atlantic might get a surprise snow out of this.  Still a little time but odds are long.

Yeah I'm not betting on this one and I really doubt the Euro will show anything. 

Nice improvements from 18z to 0z:

GFS021520130z_zps02a10da8.jpg

Select forecast qpf (2/17/2013 0z through 2/19/2013 0z):

Boston: 0.51"

Bridgeport: 0.29"

Groton: 0.77"

Hartford: 0.22"

Islip: 0.47"

New Haven: 0.37"

New York City:

...JFK: 0.19"

...LGA: 0.14"

...NYC: 0.12"

Newark: 0.10"

Poughkeepsie: 0.05"

Providence: 0.63"

Westhampton: 0.75"

White Plains: 0.13"

Worcester: 0.41"

Ukie is just like the Nam. Model wars.

The storm seems to want to get going too late and too far east-something pretty major is needed for this to develop in time for us. Longitude is definitely working in New England's favor again and I could see Boston getting walloped by this. Doesn't mean we get no snow however.

Archived