• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

The summit snowfall (up around 3,100’) is the one quoted a lot, and that’s reported as 312”, but as for the average snowfall at 2,000’ (Bolton Valley Village) I have to estimate.  In a post in the “Best Snow Locations in SNE” thread, PF offered up 250” for people that live in the Village area (he’s got 4 or 5 coworkers that live there) and I’d certainly be on board with that.  My rough guess was going to be 200”+, but I could certainly buy 250” based on watching the daily summit/Village snow totals each day from the resort.  It’s also worth noting that the 312” number from Bolton Valley is typically just the snow that falls during their open season (which is a relatively short season from just early December through early April).  They may include some November snowfall if they have started tracking it as they ramp up for the season, but you know they are also getting some good snowfall in October/November/April, and even May, that isn’t getting reported.  PF may also talk with his colleagues that live there to get their perspective on the snowfall, so that would help in his estimation.

This also describes the high lands of Cabot, Walden, Danville and Peacham to a tee!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a long time since we have jackpotted or had an over performer...we've become a bit of a screw zone this year.

Well Tue/Wed is basically a fropa for us at this point. I expect rain or mangled flakes around here.

I don't need a jackpot, but warning criteria would be nice. 2/8 was nice, but barely missing the brunt of that band was frustrating. No one should feel sorry for us though.

But yeah, as for the 91 corridor and immediate CT valley between west-central NH and east-central VT which I know very well and travel through daily, they've probably only had in the neighborhood of 40-45" this year and were basically stipped bare during the two January cutters where we held onto a crusty half-foot or so....

Great estimate we are sitting at exactly 42" for the season.  We have 5.5" on the ground at the moment, max depth was 12" after the storm after Christmas.  Majority of the winter though has been 6" or below.  Better than last year, but not like the other years I have lived here, been here for 5 winters now.

As I drove down 91, I was shocked to see bare spots in northern VT.  Unusual to see the pack deepen the further south I went.  Much, much better look of things in the Whites.

I was actually thinking of you when I pulled into a gas station this morning and waited behind a 8 sleds to fill up.  They were having fun.

15.5/-2

Glad i was on your mind, Its fun times riding

Well Tue/Wed is basically a fropa for us at this point. I expect rain or mangled flakes around here.

I don't need a jackpot, but warning criteria would be nice. 2/8 was nice, but barely missing the brunt of that band was frustrating. No one should feel sorry for us though.

They don't, And i don't for anyone else either, Its everyone for themselves when it comes to snow

No complaints here about the amount of snowfall, The only complaint i do have has been with the retention of it, We have not been able maintain a snow pack through out this winter which has hurt our local snowmobile club in town here, The storms that we had with snowfall with high water content were wiped out with the next storms being rain which would have made a great base, Then some of our bigger storms have been dry snow 15-20:1 ratio snows which has to low of a moisture content to build a base, The blizzard had a 2 fold problem, We had over 25" of snow, But, With high winds, The high areas and fields were wind blown bare, Then the temps last week were running 8-10 degrees above normal and we lost about 15" of the pack to melt, So we were back to bare ground again in, Todays was no help as well, Maybe Weds we get some help but its getting late here.

This might be beaten to death by now, but I fully agree. My total snowfall (55.1", need to update sig) is about 2" below my avg for this date, too close to quibble. However, deepest it's been is 14", and if that were to hold, it would be the 2nd lowest (to 05-06) in my 15 winters here, and 12" below my median for winter's deepest snowpack. Duration of snowcover this season will be better than last year's awful 86 days, but I'll need to have at least 26 days with 1"+ in March and April to avoid its being 3rd worst of 15. That, plus being somewhat on the outside on both the big events (7" on Dec 27-28 and 11" from the blizzard) and having my least snowy January, put this season firmly in the "mediocre, or worse" category, unless the end is much better than the beginning. And this latest near whiff keeps the non-mojo going...

Edit: Just saw Allenson's post about snowpack retention. Since that's also been a strongpoint here in the foothills, this year notwithstanding, I thought I'd post my averages and perhaps we could compare. He usually gets about 10% or so greater snowfall, so I'd expect the snowpack to be at least that much greater.

My avg snowfall for 14 winters (98-99 thru 11-12) is 87". Average for deepest snowpack is 29", median is 26", which are 1/3 and 30% of snowfall, respectively. Having 3 winters touch the 4-ft mark drives the avg well above the median.

I've been mostly off the grid the past couple days. So much for the Tuesday event trending colder, as it had seemed to do late last week. Looks like another spike into the 40s with a rainy fropa for us, followed by suppression/progression through at least the end of the week.

I've been mostly off the grid the past couple days. So much for the Tuesday event trending colder, as it had seemed to do late last week. Looks like another spike into the 40s with a rainy fropa for us, followed by suppression/progression through at least the end of the week.

Can't win

This might be beaten to death by now, but I fully agree.  My total snowfall (55.1", need to update sig) is about 2" below my avg for this date, too close to quibble.  However, deepest it's been is 14", and if that were to hold, it would be the 2nd lowest (to 05-06) in my 15 winters here, and 12" below my median for winter's deepest snowpack.  Duration of snowcover this season will be better than last year's awful 86 days, but I'll need to have at least 26 days with 1"+ in March and April to avoid its being 3rd worst of 15.  That, plus being somewhat on the outside on both the big events (7" on Dec 27-28 and 11" from the blizzard) and having my least snowy January, put this season firmly in the "mediocre, or worse" category, unless the end is much better than the beginning.  And this latest near whiff keeps the non-mojo going...

I am amazed at how many times you end up on the outside of some of these events

I am amazed at how many times you end up on the outside of some of these events

The infamous Route 2 snow shield, most effective in Franklin and Somerset Counties.  That's why I found it surprising that GYX's morning AFD specificly mentioned Farmington/Skowhegan as being in the probable "jackpot" zone for tomorrow night.  (Quotes used because a possible 4" event is hardly worth the term jackpot, unless it's in May.) 

Obviously we're not going to get much sympathy from anyone, but as you guys were discussing earlier it's been a struggle to maintain a decent pack this season despite the impressive totals that we've had overall. 

Its almost as bad as not having any snow at all, As i can't ride on bare ground

The infamous Route 2 snow shield, most effective in Franklin and Somerset Counties.  That's why I found it surprising that GYX's morning AFD specificly mentioned Farmington/Skowhegan as being in the probable "jackpot" zone for tomorrow night.  (Quotes used because a possible 4" event is hardly worth the term jackpot, unless it's in May.) 

12z GFS has .50-.75" qpf which should support a little more then 4" for our folks in the foothills and northern maine, But the GFS has been off its game so i await the king

This also describes the high lands of Cabot, Walden, Danville and Peacham to a tee!

Are you saying those areas get 250 inches of snow per year?

I mean I really don't know, but I've got a hard time believing it is that much.  I just think of that area as less snowfall, but a lot better retention, similar to the Orange Heights.  If those spots got as much as the Spine, and had better retention, they'd have 100+ inch snowpacks regularly.

Another 50-75 miles south would make a world of difference with that secondary instead of right over our noggin

Yep, just not feeling it here. Yet another example of how a potential-filled pattern can have underwhelming sensible outcomes for a given location if the details don't align right.

Yep, just not feeling it here. Yet another example of how a potential-filled pattern can have underwhelming sensible outcomes for a given location if the details don't align right.

And then the saturday ones will get squashed south under us because of blocking that everyone always wants

I mean I really don't know, but I've got a hard time believing it is that much.  I just think of that area as less snowfall, but a lot better retention, similar to the Orange Heights.  If those spots got as much as the Spine, and had better retention, they'd have 100+ inch snowpacks regularly.

No fookin way. West Burke at 950ft averages 94"...those locations maybe get 150"

That is what I meant. Retention > Total Snowfall....We probably get close to 150-170" on average but we retain a lot more than the CT Valley and even the majority of the Western VT and Western NH Whites regions.

Great estimate we are sitting at exactly 42" for the season.  We have 5.5" on the ground at the moment, max depth was 12" after the storm after Christmas.  Majority of the winter though has been 6" or below.  Better than last year, but not like the other years I have lived here, been here for 5 winters now.

It's too bad there aren't better numbers for seasonal averages right along the valley in our area.  I would guess that LEB/Hanover average 75"ish, maybe 80"  and even less as one goes north along the valley.  I'll bet that Wells River/Woodsville are no more than 70".

Long story short, we need some snow!  :snowing:

Archived