Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Temperatures have been fairly marginal here with this event, and it looked like surfaces were just wet from last night’s precipitation.  However, when I got on the back deck it was slippery, and when I went to squeegee the water off the snowboard I found that it was actually a tenth of an inch of slush.  I wasn’t up to see any actual snowfall last night, but the snow line looks like it isn’t too far above us.  There was 0.03” of liquid from the core, and the same in the rain gauge, so it looks like all the precipitation was still retained on the board.  Snowfall for the season just hit 140” with this event, and it’s sitting around the 90% of average mark (-0.41 S.D.).  Although still not quite up to average, that is a pretty decent recovery after being down around 75% of average snowfall near the beginning of the month.  Not surprisingly, at 30.8” thus far, March snowfall is above average in line with the recovery of the season numbers to that ~90% mark.

The north to south listing of last night’s snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas is below; generally a couple of inches in the northern areas, and an inch to the south:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 2”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 0”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: T”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.3

Snow Density: 30.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.6 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.03” L.E.

and when I went to squeegee the water off the snowboard I found that it was actually a tenth of an inch of slush.   Snowfall for the season just hit 140” with this event,

This is awesome... squeegeeing a tenth of an inch of slush (I'm not even sure how you measure a tenth of an inch of slush) to hit 140" on the season. 

There literally isn't a flake that falls from the sky that you don't capture in your seasonal total.  A man of science.

Snow level this morning is right at 1,500ft... definitely flakes falling at the ski area but its essentially white rain at 34F.

Reports of just shy of 1" in the upper elevations overnight.  Freezing level is at 2200-2500ft depending on the sensor.

36F and light rain down in the village.

This is awesome... squeegeeing a tenth of an inch of slush (I'm not even sure how you measure a tenth of an inch of slush) to hit 140" on the season.

There literally isn't a flake that falls from the sky that you don't capture in your seasonal total.  A man of science.

Well, I do miss some things when I'm at work or out of town, but using the modern technology of web cams is helping with that to some degree.  There’s no way that would have helped with yesterday’s analysis though, since a tenth of an inch is so small and it just looked wet from a distance.  The human touch was required for that one.

There’s nothing frozen to report this morning, since it’s a bit warmer at 36.3F.  I found 0.06” of liquid in the bucket with light rain falling, which generally means snow higher up.  It does look the mountains picked up another inch or two.  Some overnight reports:

Stowe: 1”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Our point forecast suggests more snow chances right out through Tuesday.

Well, I do miss some things when I'm at work or out of town, but using the modern technology of web cams is helping with that to some degree.  There’s no way that would have helped with yesterday’s analysis though, since a tenth of an inch is so small and it just looked wet from a distance.  The human touch was required for that one.

There’s nothing frozen to report this morning, since it’s a bit warmer at 36.3F.  I found 0.06” of liquid in the bucket with light rain falling, which generally means snow higher up.  It does look the mountains picked up another inch or two.  Some overnight reports:

Stowe: 1”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Our point forecast suggests more snow chances right out through Tuesday.

At this point in the season, i just want to say thank you jspin. Really appreciate your meticulous snow data and great pics. Thanks.

At this point in the season, i just want to say thank you jspin. Really appreciate your meticulous snow data and great pics. Thanks.

No problem, I’m glad folks are making use of the data and enjoying the photos.  It looks like we’ve got more snow to come and I can actually see that it’s snowing in the mountains right now.  The radar shows it nicely as moisture continues to march through the area:

29MAR13A.gif

Archived