• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

This is some surprisingly dense snow... its cold powder but dense, and looks to have a decent bit of graupel in it or something.  I bet we got a good shot of H2O with this overnight.  Curious what J.Spin's liquid analysis finds.

There was a decent shot of liquid in it (0.22”) but it’s still quite dry at 5.4% H2O – so great quality stuff that should ski beautifully on top of everything that’s fallen this week.  I have to start using the weekly totals provided by the ski areas since we’re out beyond those 72-hour totals, but here’s a north to south list below as of this morning:

Jay Peak: 51”

Burke: 23”

Smuggler’s Notch: 28”

Stowe: 27”

Bolton Valley: 28”

Pico: 24”

Killington: 24”

Bromley: 23”

Stratton: 23”

Mount Snow: 24”

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 19.5” Snow/1.23” L.E.

It looks like Mother Nature came in right around the top of the forecast, with 3.9” overnight here, with more in the forecast through tomorrow. Up above us at Bolton they’re reporting 7” new, and the Bolton-Stowe stretch seems to be the local hot spot in the Northern Greens for last night’s accumulations. The north to south listing of available overnight snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas is below:

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 7”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 4”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 3.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.22 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.6

Snow Density: 5.4% H2O

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Cloudy/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

Jay Peak not reporting the most from last night? Uh-oh, someone is going to get fired! ;)

We get to do it all over again tonight:

This just out...

VTZ003-006-008-016-241100-
/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0009.130323T1800Z-130324T1500Z/
ORLEANS-LAMOILLE-WASHINGTON-EASTERN FRANKLIN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWPORT...JOHNSON...STOWE...
MONTPELIER...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD
1011 AM EDT SAT MAR 23 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
11 AM EDT SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 11 AM EDT SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS OF VERMONT

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS
  UP TO 10 INCHES FROM STOWE TO JAY PEAK.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO 1 INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY SATURDAY
  EVENING.

* TIMING...OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS WILL REDEVELOP ACROSS THE
  MOUNTAINS OF NORTH CENTRAL VERMONT THIS AFTERNOON AND BECOME
  HEAVY AT TIMES THIS EVENING...BEFORE TAPERING OFF BY MIDDAY
  SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL WILL DEVELOP AROUND SUNSET THIS EVENING
  AND CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY MORNING ACROSS THE AREA.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS 25 TO 30. LOWS 20 TO 25.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW 1 MILE AT TIMES TONIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL
CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND
LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR
GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS
WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

Awesome discussion by Taber...

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...
AS OF 1026 AM EDT SATURDAY...HAVE ISSUED WINTER WX ADVISORY FOR
MTNS OF NORTH/CENTRAL VT FROM 18Z TODAY TO 15Z SUNDAY FOR
ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES WITH LOCALIZED
AMOUNTS UP TO 10 INCHES.

WATER VAPOR SHOWS DEEP CLOSED CYCLONIC CIRCULATION ACRS NORTHERN
MAINE...ROTATING BACK TWD NORTHERN NH/VT ATTM. THIS CIRCULATION WL
ADVECT DEEP ATLANTIC MOISTURE BACK INTO OUR CWA THIS AFTN/EVENING.
MEANWHILE...FLW FROM THE SFC THRU 700 MB IS FROM THE NW AT 20 TO
35 KNOTS...VERY FAVORABLE FOR UPSLOPE PRECIP. SOUNDINGS SHOW AN
UNBLOCKED FLW THRU THIS EVENING...WHICH SUPPORTS PRECIP DOWNSTREAM
OF THE GREEN MTNS...BUT LLVL THERMAL INVERSION DEVELOPS LATE
TONIGHT AND SOME BLOCKED FLW DEVELOPS...BUT AT THE SAME
TIME...DEEP LAYER MOISTURE DECREASES...WHICH WL LIMIT SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS ALONG THE WESTERN SLOPES. THINKING HIGHEST
QPF/ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WL BE THE MTNS OF NORTH-CENTRAL
VT FROM SUGARBUSH TO WATERBURY TO STOWE TO BELVIDERE TO JAY
PEAK...WHERE SNOWFALL WL RANGE BTWN 3 TO 6 INCHES WITH LOCALIZED
10 INCHES POSSIBLE NEAR JAY PEAK AND STOWE. WESTERN SLOPES WL SEE
ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES BY SUNDAY MORNING FROM HUNTINGTON TO
UNDERHILL TO ENOSBURG FALLS. LOCAL 4KM AND ARW MODELS PLACE OVER 1.0" OF
ADDITIONAL QPF ALONG THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MTNS FROM 18Z TODAY TO
18Z SUNDAY...WHICH MAYBE A BIT OVERDONE...BUT A SOLID 0.50 TO
0.75" SEEMS REASONABLE GIVEN AVAILABLE MOISTURE/UVVS FROM NW FLW
AND EMBEDDED VORTS. USED A BLEND OF THE BTV 4KM AND NAM 12 TO SHOW
SHARP POP/QPF AND SNOWFALL GRADIENTS...BUT OUR GRID RESOLUTION HAS
GREAT DIFFICULTIES IN SHOWING THIS TYPE OF DETAIL. GIVEN TIME OF
YEAR...THINKING BEST ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL WL OCCUR THIS EVENING
INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...ALONG WITH GREATEST IMPACTS ON ROADS.
SNOW RATIOS SHOULD BE 20 TO 1...GIVEN DEPTH OF RH/THERMAL PROFILE
AND LLVL UVVS FIELDS.

The mountain forecast today called for high winds, so I didn't plan a hike above treeline nor even great elevation. I decided on Mount Crawford, a modest 3119' peak that has spectacular views from a series of open ledges near the summit and also 360° views from its rocky peak.

Because it is not one of the New Hampshire 4000'ers, Crawford doesn't get the foot traffic that it deserves and when I reached the trailhead I discovered that I was the first to use the trail since the last storm on Tuesday. The trail corridor was easy enough to discern but it was very tiring snowshoeing through the foot or so of virgin snow. Light snow fell during much of the ascent and the winds were ripping. When I reached the open ledges below the summit I caught the full brunt of the wind. Very cold! The cloudy skies were thankfully breaking up a bit, allowing sun to dapple the distant landscape. The wind was strong enough to literally blow me over as I was trying to hold steady while taking a summit pic. Wish I had brought my anemometer! Additionally my pants had gotten wet at some point despite wearing gaiters and they froze solid in the wind at the summit. Anyway, a nice hike despite the exhausting trailbreaking. Below are a few pics taken at and near the summit. Deep deep winter continues on the Whites! (Though to be honest I am ready for warm-weather hiking at this point) And as a P.S. that is Attitash ski area in that second pic and Crawford Notch in the background of the third.

post-254-0-43479800-1364060088_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-62090300-1364060105_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-18108100-1364060129_thumb.jpg

The mountain forecast today called for high winds, so I didn't plan a hike above treeline nor even great elevation. I decided on Mount Crawford, a modest 3119' peak that has spectacular views from a series of open ledges near the summit and also 360° views from its rocky peak.

Because it is not one of the New Hampshire 4000'ers, Crawford doesn't get the foot traffic that it deserves and when I reached the trailhead I discovered that I was the first to use the trail since the last storm on Tuesday. The trail corridor was easy enough to discern but it was very tiring snowshoeing through the foot or so of virgin snow. Light snow fell during much of the ascent and the winds were ripping. When I reached the open ledges below the summit I caught the full brunt of the wind. Very cold! The cloudy skies were thankfully breaking up a bit, allowing sun to dapple the distant landscape. The wind was strong enough to literally blow me over as I was trying to hold steady while taking a summit pic. Wish I had brought my anemometer! Additionally my pants had gotten wet at some point despite wearing gaiters and they froze solid in the wind at the summit. Anyway, a nice hike despite the exhausting trailbreaking. Below are a few pics taken at and near the summit. Deep deep winter continues on the Whites! (Though to be honest I am ready for warm-weather hiking at this point) And as a P.S. that is Attitash ski area in that second pic and Crawford Notch in the background of the third.

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=94899'>2013-03-23 11.38.27-1.jpg

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=94901'>2013-03-23 11.34.09-1.jpg

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=94902'>2013-03-23 11.32.34-1.jpg

Omg, I was on that road yesterday and told my buds you hiked up there all the time. In fact I sent one of them some of your pics. Absolutely beautiful man. Great shots, mid winter rocks in March.

Thanks Ginx and Freak :) I took probably six pics similar to that last one of Crawford Notch - that was definitely the moneyshot view for today. It would have been nice to linger on the summit but those winds that were probably gusting to 30 were too much to withstand for an extended period with frozen pants.

I must say winter hiking is pretty freakin' burly so props to you for how often you get out there.  Its a totally different animal in the winter with all sorts of concerns you don't really have in the summer hiking season.  This time of year must be nice though with the added security of long daylight in the evening if you need it.  Hiking in January when the shadows grow long and cold by 3pm must be interesting if you are running late.

I must say winter hiking is pretty freakin' burly so props to you for how often you get out there. Its a totally different animal in the winter with all sorts of concerns you don't really have in the summer hiking season. This time of year must be nice though with the added security of long daylight in the evening if you need it. Hiking in January when the shadows grow long and cold by 3pm must be interesting if you are running late.

Darkness actually isn't much of a concern for me as I carry a headlamp and about a dozen batteries. lol! Oftentimes I start in complete darkness anyway. A bonus about winter hiking is that you can always retrace your steps if you do wander off-trail.

Today is Maine Maple Sunday ... getting ready to load the kids in the car and head over to a local sugar house for samples of their wares. Sunny morning ... hvy hvy crowds.

Event totals: 20.8” Snow/1.27” L.E.

We picked up a transient 0.3” of snow yesterday during the day, and another 1.0” overnight.  We’re getting hit with another burst of snow right now though, with another half inch on the snowboard:

24MAR13A.gif

There’s been an additional several inches of snow at the resorts in the past 24-hours; 24-hr and 7-day totals are below listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 5”/51”

Burke: 1”/20”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”/29”

Stowe: 4”/32”

Bolton Valley: 5”/32”

Pico: 3”/27”

Killington: 3”/27”

Bromley: 0”/23”

Stratton: 0”/21”

Mount Snow: 0”/24”

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Today is Maine Maple Sunday, where Maine's syrup producers open their sugarhouses to the public and offer samples of pancakes with syrup, maple fudge, maple whoopie pies and so on. I took the kids to Hilltop Boilers in Newfield. A beautiful day with temps in the low 30s. And because I have the need to gloat, I won a maple whoopie pie for lugging a bucket of sap along a course in under 11 seconds (10.3 to be precise). Not too bad for a 45 year old dude in Bean boots! :)

post-254-0-40692800-1364134005_thumb.jpg

Event totals: 20.8” Snow/1.27” L.E.

We picked up a transient 0.3” of snow yesterday during the day, and another 1.0” overnight.  We’re getting hit with another burst of snow right now though, with another half inch on the snowboard:

24MAR13A.gif

There’s been an additional several inches of snow at the resorts in the past 24-hours; 24-hr and 7-day totals are below listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 5”/51”

Burke: 1”/20”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”/29”

Stowe: 4”/32”

Bolton Valley: 5”/32”

Pico: 3”/27”

Killington: 3”/27”

Bromley: 0”/23”

Stratton: 0”/21”

Mount Snow: 0”/24”

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.2 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Jay's totals are always unreal. 51" in the last 7 days is crazy. Skiing must be surreal.

Archived