Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was 8.8" at 1,500ft when I left the mountain at 3:30pm...called it 8-10" as the summit was running about an inch higher.  The variance in elevation isn't all that great in this event, when some upslope snows can be different by like 3-4 inches with elevation, these synoptic snows are much more evenly distributed.

That was fun for a couple of hours. I've since tempered my meltdown...seems the really +SN came after the brightest echoes were moving away.

Same thing happened here--brighter echos moved off to the east and the snow intensity actually picked up.

Anyway, we're in a bonefide lull now.  Up to 8.0" and as others said, we'll see what the stuff in NY has in store for later on.

Been under that batch of moderate looking snow on radar for a while now... even waited for it to get comfortably east of here.  It's a flop...the snizzle intensity hasn't changed.  

I should never look at the radar once the main precip shield moves out... no matter what it shows redeveloping, it's nothing but disappointment far more often than not.  :lol:

Event totals: 9.7” Snow/0.83” L.E.

We headed to Stowe today, and not surprisingly, the turns were great.  When we left at the end of the day, I was generally getting consistent measurements of 12-13” for snow depth on the terrain of the Mountain Triple – although that sounds a bit higher than what PF reported.  A great day to be out on the mountain; of course there’s nothing like midweek at Stowe, especially when it’s dumping.  A few shots from today are below:

19MAR13E.jpg

19MAR13D.jpg

19MAR13F.jpg

We arrived home to find 5.9” of snow from today’s activity, so at least around here it doesn’t look like there were too many issues with the valleys being able to accumulate snow during the day.  In the latest BTV advisories, I see that some warnings have disappeared from off to the south, and indeed there are some notable differences in the latest storm total snow forecast map – the numbers seem to have gone down in the Adirondacks:

19MAR13B.jpg

19MAR13C.jpg

I don’t think there’s going to be any trouble reaching the 10-14” total that they’ve got for us on the latest map, especially since we’re passing a foot as of 9:00 P.M. and there’s still a steady snow out there.  This event has definitely been very helpful in making up on the dearth of season snowfall, bringing the season total back up above 85% of average.

North to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas with afternoon updates are below – generally 10-12” at the northern areas and 12-15” at the southern areas as of closing:

Jay Peak: 10”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Mad River Glen: 12”

Sugarbush: 7”

Pico: 11”

Killington: 11”

Okemo: 12”

Magic Mountain: 15”

Stratton: 13”

Mount Snow: 14”

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 5.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.48 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.3

Snow Density: 8.1% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Event totals: 12.9” Snow/0.93” L.E.

The snowfall has been running at a bit more than ½”/hr over the 6 hours leading up to 11:00 P.M., with another 0.4” down as of midnight.  The snow has definitely dried out to a more upslope-style consistency.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 3.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 32.0

Snow Density: 3.1% H2O

Temperature: 28.9 F

Sky: Moderate Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.0 inches

12" on the nose here so far for the event and it's still snowing this morning, albeit lightly.

0.88" of water and the snowdepth is now up to a seasonal high of 22".

92.2" on the year now.  Maybe 100" isn't out of the question.  :snowing:

The stuff that fell last night is very fluffy and stacked up, so expecting a fair bit of settling.

Event totals: 13.9” Snow/0.98” L.E.

Another inch of snow fell overnight, and there were still flurries falling during this morning’s observations.  The point forecast here suggests that “Powder Week” continues:

20MAR13A.jpg

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.1 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy, Flurries (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

Man, this thing just doesn't want to quit.

Steady, accumuating snows still falling.....

There are breaks in the clouds down here, but I did notice that the Lake Morey Cam looks like it is still going pretty good.  Trying to sweet talk the wife to take a measurement after it stops...we will see how that goes :).

There are breaks in the clouds down here, but I did notice that the Lake Morey Cam looks like it is still going pretty good.  Trying to sweet talk the wife to take a measurement after it stops...we will see how that goes :).

Funny you mention that--I was just looking at some cams, Lake Morey included.  I see some sun from Brookfield, Berlin (VT), Wells River and Hanover and yet it's snowing here and yep, the Morey cam shows the same.

Lightening now though, as I type, lol.

We got another 4 inches overnight in Peacham to bring our total to 11.5 inches as of 7:30 this morning.

Up to 7:45 am yesterday- 3.2

7:45 to 5:45 pm- 4.3

5:45 p to 7:30 am- 4

total; 11.5

It is snowing lightly here in St. J at the moment.

Flakes in the air here in AUG, with the sun shining thru thin clouds.

Finished with 12.5" on 1.09" LE, last few inches much higher ratio, biggest storm of the year. Up to 23" at the stake, also highest so far, though I don't expect to see it any deeper. Even if Monday's storm slid far enough north to dump a few inches, settling and March sun will probably have my depth down in the 16-18" range by then. Would need warning-level snow to get to 100, I think, as it's kinda late for nearly a foot in piecemeal events.

Archived