ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't given upon winter yet, but I have a foot through that door. It's been one of those winters where we get everyone else's sloppy seconds.

Well at least you got a good snow with the blizzard.  I barely made 11".   Couple of flurries from time to time the past 8 hours but this is another miss.  Being Feb 17th I have learned that at least with my added elevation both feet have to stay in the door till at least March 15th.  Big sneaky wet snows can occur while everyone south has rain.   I'm not giving up yet!   Next....

Man, I'm glad I went home for the blizzard, because Plymouth has been massively screwed. Not including the Blizz, Plymouth has had like 5" of snow from two separate 2-3" events (1/28 and 2/11). I have them at 40" on the year or so. Pretty bad but nothing unheard of. On pace for about 60-65 which is about 20% below normal.

A little while ago, we had a 2-3 minute span with gusts that were just vicious. Ripped open a storm door and broke a greenhouse vent. I have no idea where our doormat is. Excellent day, indeed.

It's gotten weirdly quiet now... just a steady breeze with no sharp gusts.

finger of god?

Man, I'm glad I went home for the blizzard, because Plymouth has been massively screwed. Not including the Blizz, Plymouth has had like 5" of snow from two separate 2-3" events (1/28 and 2/11). I have them at 40" on the year or so. Pretty bad but nothing unheard of. On pace for about 60-65 which is about 20% below normal.

If I learned anything in my years up there,   Plymnouth is an awful place for snow.  Good for other things,  just not snow.      

Great discussion out of BTV... "either way, Jay Peak will hit the jackpot"  lol.

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...AS OF 330 PM EST SUNDAY...LITTLE CHANGE FROM PREVIOUS COUPLE OFDAYS WITH REGARDS TO LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC PATTERN...WHICH SUPPORTSBLW NORMAL PRECIP CHCS IN THE VALLEYS AND SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMALTEMPS. STILL ANTICIPATING A LONG DURATION UPSLOPE SNOW EVENT FORWEDS INTO THURS...WITH SOME MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION LIKELY ACRSTHE NORTHERN DACKS AND PARTS OF THE CENTRAL/NORTHERN GREEN MTNS.THIS EVENT LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE UPSLOPE EVENT 5 OR 6 DAYSAGO.DEEP CLOSED 5H/7H CIRCULATION WL PASS ACRS OUR NORTHERN CWAON WEDS MORNING...ALONG WITH A MID/UPPER LVL DRY SLOT...AND BECMVERTICALLY STACKED FROM SFC THRU 500MB ACRS NORTHERN MAINE BY 12ZTHURS. THE DEEP CYCLONIC CIRCULATION AROUND THIS SYSTEM WL ADVECTGOOD SFC TO 700MB RH BACK INTO NORTHERN NY AND CENTRAL/NORTHERN VTON WEDS AFTN THRU THURS. THIS MOISTURE...INTERACTING WITHFAVORABLE WEST SFC TO 850MB FLOW OF 15 TO 35 KNTS WL PRODUCEOROGRAPHIC UPSLOPE SNOW. ALSO...BOTH ECMWF AND GFS SHOW SEVERALEMBEDDED 5H VORTS AND WEAK SFC TROFS ROTATING AROUND THE CYCLONICCIRCULATION...WHICH WL HELP TO PRODUCE BURSTS OF HEAVIERSNOW...ESPECIALLY WEDS NIGHT. BY THURSDAY...PROGGED 85H AND 925MB TEMPSDROP TO NEAR -18C...WHICH WL HELP SQUEEZE OUT REMAINING MOISTUREAND PRODUCE SNOW RATIOS BTWN 20 AND 30 TO 1. OVER THE NEXT COUPLEOF DAYS NAM12 AND LOCAL 4KM/12KM WRF`S SHOULD HELP TO HIGHLIGHTDURATION/MAGNITUDE OF EVENT...ALONG WITH PLACEMENT OF HEAVIESTQPF/SNOWFALL (WEST OR EAST SIDE OF THE MTNS)...EITHER WAY JAY PEAKWL HIT THE JACK POT...WITH PROBABLY UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW LIKELY BYTHURS MIDDAY. 

Yes I know. But NNE as a whole has been screwed, not just Plymouth. Even considering the fact that Plymouth sucks for snow, we've still been screwed.

You really feel that way?  I mean we are running maybe a tad below normal, but nothing unheard of.  SNE got the blizzard (still got around a foot up here, respectable) but before that ask the guys in eastern SNE how it was going.  Everyone was dry there for a long time prior to that.

We also had the December 27 event with a widespread 12-20" in BTV's CWA (and a string of events there over like a 3 week period when our snowpacks were up in the 15-24" range after the first week of January), but that might have been more snow in NW New England than CNE.

BTV which had like 34" all of last season, is at 61.1" and is +7" above normal to date.  BTV doesn't get upslope so for them to be above normal shows a decent synoptic presence in NW New England.   

Maybe there is an area from eastern VT into NH that is probably lower relative to normal than other areas?  I don't know, I just don't share the notion that its been *that* bad.  Not close to epic, but within a standard deviation of normal is respectable.  We've had consistent snow cover since December 16th, so I take that as a plus at this point for 8 straight weeks of not seeing the grass, lol.

You really feel that way?  I mean we are running maybe a tad below normal, but nothing unheard of.  SNE got the blizzard (still got around a foot up here, respectable) but before that ask the guys in eastern SNE how it was going.  Everyone was dry there for a long time prior to that.

We also had the December 27 event with a widespread 12-20" in BTV's CWA (and a string of events there over like a 3 week period when our snowpacks were up in the 15-24" range after the first week of January), but that might have been more snow in NW New England than CNE.

BTV which had like 34" all of last season, is at 61.1" and is +7" above normal to date.  BTV doesn't get upslope so for them to be above normal shows a decent synoptic presence in NW New England.   

Maybe there is an area from eastern VT into NH that is probably lower relative to normal than other areas?  I don't know, I just don't share the notion that its been *that* bad.  Not close to epic, but within a standard deviation of normal is respectable.  We've had consistent snow cover since December 16th, so I take that as a plus at this point for 8 straight weeks of not seeing the grass, lol.

I think Brian's area has been in a relative screw zone. But, I just went through 15 months of hell until last weekend.

I think Brian's area has been in a relative screw zone. But, I just went through 15 months of hell until last weekend.

Yeah Powdafreaks right. It's not all of NNE in a screw zone. But interior NH/ eastern VT/ part of ME have been in a screw zone. But he's also right that it's nothing unheard of or as bad as last year.

Although Brian's at like 35" or something, that's pretty bad when he should be around 50", but nothing a big storm can't fix.

Yeah...From here up through Gene it's been a bit rough. We had the blizz which was nice, but we were a relative min compared to CON-MHT. It's just climo evening out after the last 5 years so there will be no meltdowns by me. I was serious when I said I had a foot through that door...I got the spring itch a bit at the end of last week when I got into my truck and it was feeling pretty warm from the increasing sun angle. Of course I know reality and that we will be dealing with snow events for another month plus and then drizzle and 40s for 2 months after that. The heart of winter has slipped away though.

Yeah Powdafreaks right. It's not all of NNE in a screw zone. But interior NH/ eastern VT/ part of ME have been in a screw zone. But he's also right that it's nothing unheard of or as bad as last year.

Although Brian's at like 35" or something, that's pretty bad when he should be around 50", but nothing a big storm can't fix.

I'm way over 35"...lol. I haven't updated my sig lately though.

Yeah...From here up through Gene it's been a bit rough. We had the blizz which was nice, but we were a relative min compared to CON-MHT. It's just climo evening out after the last 5 years so there will be no meltdowns by me. I was serious when I said I had a foot through that door...I got the spring itch a bit at the end of last week when I got into my truck and it was feeling pretty warm from the increasing sun angle. Of course I know reality and that we will be dealing with snow events for another month plus and then drizzle and 40s for 2 months after that. The heart of winter has slipped away though.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think you guys may catch up into early March.

I'm actually with you on that stuff... I'll take snow all the time and love it, but I was loving last week's high temps in the 33-38F range.  Snow melt is minimal if at all but it felt *warm* and actually nice to just take the dog for a walk.  I thought today was brutal.  The mountain wind chills were -40F as we were -3F and gusting over 70mph (78mph was the high at the top of the lift), and I hit a point today where I was just done with that stuff.  In December and January its the heart of winter and its sort of exciting to feel that.

But the light is at the end of the tunnel... I don't want winter to end but March weather with either snow or snow on the ground and beautiful weather, can be quite fun.  The increased daylight is nice too.

I think we've still got some solid events coming though...it usually happens as the jet lifts north a bit with the seasonal change.

I'm opening the greenhouse tomorrow... time to get the 2013 extreme tropical garden started.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think you guys may catch up into early March.

This is a bad post.

No 5 day run in the 80s mid March like last year?

This one is even worse.

BTV warmer than Miami? That was pretty incredible.

This post is excellent.

No complaints here about the amount of snowfall, The only complaint i do have has been with the retention of it, We have not been able maintain a snow pack through out this winter which has hurt our local snowmobile club in town here, The storms that we had with snowfall with high water content were wiped out with the next storms being rain which would have made a great base, Then some of our bigger storms have been dry snow 15-20:1 ratio snows which has to low of a moisture content to build a base, The blizzard had a 2 fold problem, We had over 25" of snow, But, With high winds, The high areas and fields were wind blown bare, Then the temps last week were running 8-10 degrees above normal and we lost about 15" of the pack to melt, So we were back to bare ground again in, Todays was no help as well, Maybe Weds we get some help but its getting late here.

Archived