Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get any sunset shots today?  It was epic colors about 5:45 to 6 here in K1V4.  Truly beat anything else in NE for weather significance today.

Unfortunately no... but I was out walking the dog at the time and it was stunning.  Alpenglow off the Worcester Range to the east of town. 

Had a whole inch at 7am with steady light snow still falling.

Took a shot from the hill across from us on my way to work this morning. Can't see the house but it's tucked in at the end of the visible field. Hills above are right around 2k. A little blurry due to the falling snow, ftw:

8538514365_047ec331aa_z.jpg

That looks like such a great spot...it's no wonder you hold snow so well, haha. Elevated pocket within taller hills...perfect cold pocket.

Indeed gents, I saw some epic alpenglow on Moosilauke last evening.  Unfortunately I was driving and didn't really have time or a good spot fo pull over and take a photo.

That looks like such a great spot...it's no wonder you hold snow so well, haha. Elevated pocket within taller hills...perfect cold pocket.

Life could be worse, that's for sure, lol.  Despite missing out on this one, we still have 17" at the stake and I was very surprised last night to come home to our fresh inch still lying fluffy on the old snow, despite getting up to 37F.

Looks like a hell of a weekend for skiing.  And that's just what I plan to do--tour today, lift-served tomorrow. 

:ski:

With clear skies finally in the forecast for a hiking Saturday (just my second one this season unbelievably), I decided on a high view-to-mile ratio hike. Thought about a high-elevation tour of the Northern Presidentials but strong winds made that not so appealing. A good fallback hike was the Baldfaces.

Because they don't reach the 4000' elevation, the Baldfaces don't get the respect they richly deserve. In fact, most of my hike was done with no other traces of human life evident. This actually presented a problem in that there was no trail to follow, there were no blazes on trees and most of the cairns were buried under snow. I've done this loop twice before so I had a working knowledge of where I needed to go, but still there were several times where I ventured off-trail and squarely into thick spruce groves. One time one of the trees unloaded its snow smack on my head. Adding to the fun was having to break trail, which pretty much gassed me several times. Lots of view appreciation breaks, which I took advantage of by snapping pics, three of which I have included below. Enjoy!

Yeah, Freak, can't get any better views than today. I'm certain that is Lafayette and the rest of the Franconias in that shot. Awesome pics as usual :)

What were winds like at elevation? I considered Northern Presis or Lafayette but I saw winds were forecast to be pretty strong and wanted to have a relaxing hike instead of one all bundled up. I even took my outer layer off! Smokin' warm.

Views were simply amazing today... from the highest peak in VT, to the highest peak in NH.

And Lafayette (?) area...

attachicon.gifIMG_4176_edited-1.jpg

Yup, that is Lafayette.  Cannon Mtn is in front of it but you can't see the ski trails as they are facing away from you..  Great picture of the whole Franconia Notch range.  Didn't realize you could see it so well from Stowe!

We were up at Bolton Valley today, so I can pass along some observations from the mountain elevations.  I saw that yesterday, the high on the Bolton Valley Weather Station at 2,100’ was 34.8F, so it seemed as though the upper mountain above 2,500’ would be fine with respect to preserving dry snow.  I would have liked to get out in the powder in the morning with the predicted rise in temperatures today, but we had some media work to do on the front side for the first half of the day and couldn’t get out into the backcountry until the afternoon.  Fortunately, there was still dry powder to be found, but you had to stay above the 3,000’ level and stick to aspects with a fair bit of northerly component.  It certainly did get above freezing up there at some point though, as the high temperature at 2,100’ today was 44.2F, but there were very nice turns to be had up high:

09MAR13A.jpg

Awesome shots Jayhawk, Spin and PF--and yeah, to ehco others, that one picture Powderfreak took is definitely of Cannon and the Franconia Range behind (Lafayette, etc.).

I got out yesterday too but due to slow internet speeds at home, I'll wait to post a few pics till tomorrow.  I did a nice ski tour at one of my favorite haunts in eastern VT looking into NH.  I had unfettered views myself of Moosilauke, the Franconia Range and clear to the Presidentials.  The snow was deep, the views long and the skies as blue as can be.

Gon' go ride a chairlift today.  ;)

Anyway, topped out at 44 here yesterday but I saw 50 on the truck thermo driving through some of the warmer sunnier spots between here and there.

Sap must have been pouring out to the maples yesterday....

Yeah, Freak, can't get any better views than today. I'm certain that is Lafayette and the rest of the Franconias in that shot. Awesome pics as usual :)

What were winds like at elevation? I considered Northern Presis or Lafayette but I saw winds were forecast to be pretty strong and wanted to have a relaxing hike instead of one all bundled up. I even took my outer layer off! Smokin' warm.

Winds were relatively calm up high... maybe gusts 20-30mph and sustained at like 10mph?  That's essentially calm for 4,000ft.  Or at least the temperature was warm enough out that it didn't matter if the wind blew or not.  But certainly not a "breezy" day.

Anyway, topped out at 44 here yesterday but I saw 50 on the truck thermo driving through some of the warmer sunnier spots between here and there.

Sap must have been pouring out to the maples yesterday....

Perfect sap wx - cold morning, warm sunny day with light winds. 

My low yesterday was a modest 22, coldest of the month by 5F until this morning's teens, and the high a lovely 47, shirtsleeve wx for working on firewood.  Still 14" snowpack, as about all the settling is done - only melting takes it down now.

Winds were relatively calm up high... maybe gusts 20-30mph and sustained at like 10mph? That's essentially calm for 4,000ft. Or at least the temperature was warm enough out that it didn't matter if the wind blew or not. But certainly not a "breezy" day.

Yeah, I just looked at MWN obs from yesterday morning and saw wind speeds around 25-30 and wind chills in the single digits, so not brutal at all, but this morning's conditions atop the rockpile (32F, 6mph wind and 120-mile visibility) are what I was looking for. Simply amazing weekend on the trails!

I just drove through Granville Gulf, definitely an overlooked snow spot, especially in terms of retention. still a solid couple of feet in there

Yeah any of the "notches" or "gulfs" in the Greens are usually amazing at preserving snow.  I know up here in Smugglers Notch, due to the shading and cooling effects of having 1-2,000 vertical foot walls on either side of RT 108, plus being situated at 1,500-2,200ft to begin with in the floor of the notch, you can find snow and ice in there until Memorial Day, especially in the drifted cross-loaded gullies.

I could hear the dripping off my roof all night long... as we never radiated at all.  It was 36F when I left home, its 42F up here at 1,550ft, and 36F at 3,600ft.  I see Bolton Valley was up at 44F at 2,100ft, too.  Pretty warm night out this way in the thicker clouds and southwesterly flow clipping NW New England while southeast of here looks to have had a better time cooling down to freezing to stop the bleeding.

Archived