Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecast looks decent going forward still... Lamoille County zone has a lot of light accumulations in it.

555144_10151262618747382_1544081752_n.pn

Tonight: Snow showers likely. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Saturday: Snow showers likely. Additional snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the lower 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely. Additional snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches possible. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Sunday: Snow showers likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Sunday Night: Snow showers likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Monday And Monday Night: Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the lower 30s. Lows in the lower 20s.

Just got back from a great run.  Snowed the whole time. Temp was right at 32 so no ice issues, wind was negligible most of the time.  The snow was whitening the ground, dirty snow and parts of the dirt roads but not the pavement.

With the completion of February, I’ll pass along where snowfall stands for this location.  The updated 2012-2013 monthly snowfall plot is below:

1213monthlysnowfall.jpg

Relative to January snowfall (~50% of average), February snowfall was certainly improved (~75% of average) but obviously still low, so the overall season snowfall continues to slip relative to what is typical.  This past week or so has been very notable in that regard, as season snowfall has gone from ~90% of average (still roughly in the average range) to ~80% of average (definitely in the below average category).  It’s going to take a big March/April combo of 50+” to get to even an average season at this point.  It’s certainly happened before, but there will probably need to be some notable storms to get there.  Average snowfall from this point in the season is ~30”, so getting that would still produce a reasonable season total that was within one S.D.  We’ve got some snow falling outside right now with a couple tenths down on the board, so that’s a step in the right direction.

The numbers certainly verify what I felt with being in the snow hole for just about every snow event. Just 14.7" total for February.

Ohh well did get a lot of good skating in though :).

Yeah, the immediate valley in our area just hasn't had a good stretch lately.  Not bad out here though. 

We're going down to the lake today for some skating as a matter of fact.  Wondering how the surface of the ice will be after some mildish days lately....

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Large fluffy flakes last night eventually became much smaller, creating a very smooth, easily measurable snow surface on the snowboard this morning.  With the small flakes, the overall density came in at a fairly medium range 7.1% H2O.  Along with monitoring the precipitation here at the house, I’ll try my best to keep track of the snowfall obtained at the Vermont ski areas with regard to this upper level low.  These longer duration types of events can be a bit difficult in that regard, but we’ll see how it goes.  The current north to south listing of reported snow totals is below:

Jay Peak: 3”

Burke: 1”

Smuggler’s Notch: 0”

Stowe: 2”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Mad River Glen: 0”

Sugarbush: 0”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: T”

Bromley: 0”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

Reading the BTV forecast discussion, it sounds like what we’re currently seeing is a bit of a snowfall lull, and the snow will pick up again later:

...SCT SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THIS MORNING AS CYCLONIC FLOW AROUND THE UPPER LEVEL LOW CONTINUES TO FEED MARITIME MOISTURE INTO THE NORTH COUNTRY FROM THE NE. N-NW FLOW WILL CONTINUE OVER THE AREA...ENHANCING SNOW OVER THE WESTERN SLOPES. MODELS SHOWING BRIEF PERIOD OF WEAKENED MOISTURE THIS MORNING WILL QUICKLY BE REINFORCED BY MORE MOISTURE WHICH CAN BE SEEN CURRENTLY ENTERING THE SLV DELTA ON SATELLITE IMAGERY. SOME WEAK ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL ACCOMPANY THE MOISTURE LATE THIS MORNING INTO THE AFTERNOON...KEEPING CHC TO LIKELY POPS THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.0

Snow Density: 7.1% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Yeah, the immediate valley in our area just hasn't had a good stretch lately.  Not bad out here though. 

We're going down to the lake today for some skating as a matter of fact.  Wondering how the surface of the ice will be after some mildish days lately....

I would say go early.  I do know that they stop maintaining the trail this week, so hopefully there are still some icy spots out there.

It has been a rough stretch for, I accept my lower elevation and shadowing, but this is has been more than that this year.

I would say go early.  I do know that they stop maintaining the trail this week, so hopefully there are still some icy spots out there.

It has been a rough stretch for, I accept my lower elevation and shadowing, but this is has been more than that this year.

Yeah, I saw on the inn's website that they've stopped maintaining the trail.  Webcam shows a dusting on the ice which shouldn't be too much trouble to skate through.  Hell, I grew up skating on cat tail marshes bashing my way though reeds, lol.

Heading out now!

Yeah, I saw on the inn's website that they've stopped maintaining the trail.  Webcam shows a dusting on the ice which shouldn't be too much trouble to skate through.  Hell, I grew up skating on cat tail marshes bashing my way though reeds, lol.

Heading out now!

Exactly!!!  How fun man!!

I had 0.1" on the lil red hotrod this morning. Had high hopes that it would translate to falling flakes over in the Whites, but alas I missed it. I went to Carter Notch, tucked between Wildcat Mountain and Carter Dome. The higher summits forecast called for the summits to be in the clouds so I figured a nice lower-elevation hike would be in order. And if the gods smiled and the clouds stayed above the summits I could climb neighboring Wildcat for an incredible view of the notch. So, as mentioned I missed the falling snow but there was an inch and a half new covering the trees, not to mention the snow that had fallen over the past week, so my snow-covered tree fetish was satiated. A lovely day in the upper 20s and little wind, though in the notch it was quite brisk with a wind constantly blowing about 20 mph. My hair froze while up there. Anyway, I could see that Wildcat was stuck in the clouds, so no elevation views for me today.

Took a number of pics, three of which I have attached. The first is at one of the Carter Lakes, of which there are two. Wildcat Mountain is that mass on the right and you can see the ceiling is pretty low. Pic #2 is taken on The Ramparts, a boulder field from a rockslide from Carter Dome. There's no trail here and nobody had been this way in quite a while as I saw no tracks. It was difficult to navigate through the boulders in snowshoes, but barebooting was not an option as the snow between boulders was several feet deep. So, grin and bear it with the snowshoes. Pic #3 shows the snow depth at one of the the three structures that make up the Carter Notch Hut complex. Snow nearly covering the window and up to the roof. Best Winter Ever. :lol:

I had 0.1" on the lil red hotrod this morning. Had high hopes that it would translate to falling flakes over in the Whites, but alas I missed it. I went to Carter Notch, tucked between Wildcat Mountain and Carter Dome. The higher summits forecast called for the summits to be in the clouds so I figured a nice lower-elevation hike would be in order. And if the gods smiled and the clouds stayed above the summits I could climb neighboring Wildcat for an incredible view of the notch. So, as mentioned I missed the falling snow but there was an inch and a half new covering the trees, not to mention the snow that had fallen over the past week, so my snow-covered tree fetish was satiated. A lovely day in the upper 20s and little wind, though in the notch it was quite brisk with a wind constantly blowing about 20 mph. My hair froze while up there. Anyway, I could see that Wildcat was stuck in the clouds, so no elevation views for me today.

Took a number of pics, three of which I have attached. The first is at one of the Carter Lakes, of which there are two. Wildcat Mountain is that mass on the right and you can see the ceiling is pretty low. Pic #2 is taken on The Ramparts, a boulder field from a rockslide from Carter Dome. There's no trail here and nobody had been this way in quite a while as I saw no tracks. It was difficult to navigate through the boulders in snowshoes, but barebooting was not an option as the snow between boulders was several feet deep. So, grin and bear it with the snowshoes. Pic #3 shows the snow depth at one of the the three structures that make up the Carter Notch Hut complex. Snow nearly covering the window and up to the roof. Best Winter Ever. :lol:

attachicon.gif2013-03-02 08.02.07-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-03-02 08.14.53-1.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-03-02 08.21.00-1.jpg

Awesome , glad you had some fun anyways.

Nice shots, Jayhawk...surprised you didn't snowshoe right up onto the roof of that structure ;)

A few shots from my neck of the woods today...skiing is excellent right now.  Hard to find too much to complain about with a solid, deep base from top to bottom.  Still crunchy on the lower third from Thursday afternoon when the warm temps moistened up the new snow and crust it over.  Upper half of the mountain is golden.  The usual spring-time type deal... but base depths are solid and the woods are wide open.

The mountain is mostly skied out, from the Thursday storm, but the woods are still so soft with a little loose powder on top.

385805_10151264061532382_1304992690_n.jp

1-2" on the mountain last night, nothing huge but enough to keep things fresh.  Hopefully there's more on the way tonight as moisture continues to back in from the northeast.

420259_10151264060867382_1631816386_n.jp

Bump runs in good shape...a little crunchy in spots but nice lines developing across the mountain.  This is the last real pitch on Chin Clip.

225494_10151264061027382_2029639709_n.jp

Low clouds spilling over the ridge from the north and west.  It was cool watching this stuff wash over the ridge, drop down the east side and dissipate. 

11584_10151264061512382_1019254067_n.jpg

that last pic is sick

that last pic is sick

Yeah, I'll have to take a closer look at that spot when the snow has melted to see how deep it is. In the interest of full disclosure, it isn't as if the entire hut is under snow like that. On my FB page I have a pic of the front of a neighboring hut that is deep in snow (you have to step down to get onto the porch) but not consumed. :lol:

Now THOSE are some nice pics. Good stuff with that 3 story hotel almost buried

Great photos, fellas.

Steady light snow falling, retro-style.

Exactly

>32 days, wet snow plus an ice fishing derby perforating the lake with water-welling holes made for some very poor skating.  Not recommended.  :bag:

Skiing tomorrow should be better at least.

Archived