Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting snowing in earnest here around 11. Still going but much more above 2500'. Good 2-3" up top. Psyched for tomorrow.

Gotta drive home tomorrow. Thinking I'm better off leaving later than earlier. Maybe 4 instead of 2.

Yeah we've got 2" up top and just passing 1" at the base right now at Stowe...

post-352-0-50564800-1361649277.jpg

Scattered feathers most of the morning, then afternoon was -SN to odd flakes and back again, less than 1/4" new.  GYX has the foothills at 4-8" by the time this ends tomorrow night; I'm guessing low end of that, which would still be nice.  They're also talking RA at the start of the mid-late week marathon, though 12z gfs seems colder than that, and brings 1.25-1.5" qpf over about 48 hr.  At least it's interesting stuff, not boredom.

1.5" down and moderate snow falling.

Nice little surprise today.  Wasn't expecting much till tonight/tomorrow.

Quite surprised that BTV doesn't even have a HWO up.

I feel like we are getting to the time of winter when headlines and stuff aren't as necessary as they are earlier in the winter, lol.  Its like, we'll we've all made it this far, folks can deal with a 2-6 inch snowfall with no problem by this time of winter. 

In November we see WWA for like 2-3 inch snowfalls and then by March you might get one for 6"+ ;)

Heard of two buses that spun out on RT 108 heading down from the ski resort into town...either closing the road or putting it down to one lane....sounds like a real cluster with 7,500 people trying to leave the area, too.

Its a greasy snow on the roads.

Coming down nicely at Plymouth. Didn't measure but we're over 1" but not quite at 2". Roads are bad, snow pasted everything. Legit snowstorm out there, looks nice!

1-2" is a legit snowstorm?  ;)

I know what you mean though, the pasty snow on the trees and greasy roads at least makes it look more serious than the accumulations would show.

30F light snow  3.5"   high was 30.9F.   Drove down 600 feet below me and noted the trees were beautiful with around 32F temps while I am just a bit too cold for true tree sticking snow although without wind the trees do look nice.   Echos starting to develop to the SW so looks like a snowy 24 more hours ahead.

From BTV AFD, odd:

AS OF 937 PM EST SATURDAY...NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FROM PREVIOUSFORECAST. INTERMITTENT LIGHT SNOW AND DRIZZLE WILL CONTINUEOVERNIGHT WITH LITTLE CHANGE IN TEMPERATURE. IN FACT...THETEMPERATURE AT BTV HASN/T CHANGED SINCE 113PM THIS AFTN REMAININGA CONSTANT 34F.

LOL! How the hell can a snowmobile land safely from that height?? And for that matter, how did it get so high in the first place? *boggle*

Well, they take off from a ramp, that you can't see in the picture, and land on that big pile of snow.  They come down very hard but their sleds are modified for this purpose.  They still take a beating though.

Event totals: 2.6” Snow/0.19” L.E.

We headed up to Bolton Valley for turns today, so I can pass along some mountain and valley observations from the current system.  Snow seemed to be starting up around 11:00 A.M. just as we were arriving at the mountain, and throughout the day we saw varying intensities of snowfall varying from ¼ mile to 1 mile visibility.  The intensity of the snowfall was definitely higher on average as one went up in elevation.  The skiing was good to begin with, and within a couple of hours the slopes had taken on a fresh coating that got the groomed surfaces skiing really smoothly.  Off piste was excellent, especially in areas that hadn’t been skied since the last storm.  I’m surprised to see the afternoon snow report come in with only an inch of new snow, because it seemed like there had to be at least 2 to 3 inches up above 3,000’ by the time we left.  At our car at 1,500’ I’d say there was about an inch or so when we left, but there was some wind so it was difficult to get a good read on it.  The temperature at that elevation was 30 F around 4:00 P.M., so we were curious to see how warm it was in the valley and if any snow was accumulating.  Indeed we found that snow had accumulated all the way to the bottom of the access road (340’) even though the temperature appeared to be in the 34-35 F range.  It seemed like there was a new inch or so at the base of the road, but it was even colder and snowier when we got to our house (495’).  I found a temperature of 32.5 F and 1.8” on the snowboard.  Since that point the snowfall has been of lower intensity, with 0.8” additional as of 10:00 P.M.  Below I’ve added a shot from up at Bolton today – there was lots of great skiing to be had:

23FEB13A.jpg

For Vermont ski areas that have posted afternoon updates, I’ve added that north to south listing of available snowfall totals:

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 2”

Bolton Valley: 1”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Magic Mountain: 2”

The point forecast here calls for another 1 to 2” tonight, and then another 2 to 4” through tomorrow night, so we’ll see how that goes.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. and 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

4:00 P.M.

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.12 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 32.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-3 mm needles/4-5 mm aggregates)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

10:00 P.M.

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 32.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

Also of note, this is the 41st storm of the season, so it starts the third column of events in the signature.

Event totals: 3.2” Snow/0.22” L.E.

There was another 0.6” of snow during the overnight block from 10:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.  The weather on the national news was talking about the storm in the Midwest, and when they showed a map of the warnings and advisories, I saw that there were actually some in Vermont.  Indeed that is the case, with the eastern and southern portions of the state under a Winter Weather Advisory, including here in Washington County.  The latest maps and text from the BTV NWS are below:

24FEB13A.jpg

24FEB13B.jpg

WWUS41 KBTV 240614

WSWBTV

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

114 AM EST SUN FEB 24 2013

VTZ004-007-008-010-012-018-019-242100-

/O.NEW.KBTV.WW.Y.0006.130224T0614Z-130225T0600Z/

ESSEX-CALEDONIA-WASHINGTON-ORANGE-WINDSOR-EASTERN ADDISON-

EASTERN RUTLAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ISLAND POND...ST. JOHNSBURY...

MONTPELIER...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...SPRINGFIELD...

WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...

KILLINGTON

114 AM EST SUN FEB 24 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST

MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...EASTERN AND SOUTHEASTERN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW

* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS

ABOVE 1500 FEET.

* MAXIMUM SNOWFALL RATE...UP TO A HALF INCH PER HOUR...MAINLY

THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW THIS MORNING WILL BECOME MODERATE THIS

AFTERNOON AND EVENING...THEN TAPER OFF OVERNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS...REDUCED

VISIBILITIES AT TIMES.

* WINDS...EAST 5 TO 10 MPH OR LESS.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWS IN THE MID 20S. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...LESS THAN ONE MILE AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL

CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR

GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS

WEATHER SITUATION.

&&

$$

NEILES

The north to south listing of reported storm totals from the Vermont ski areas as of this morning are listed below:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 5”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 4”

Bromley: 4”

Magic Mountain: 4”