joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.40 qpf all snow in immediate triad this run. I prefer 18z. Plenty more runs to get juiced up qpf wise covering a larger area or on the other hand get left at the altar again.

It's better to see it suppressed at this point anyway. There's no reason for the storm to not cut north, so we want weaker. Otherwise, we get something that cuts through the piedmont and leaves all but the mountains in rain or dry.

It's funny, early in the run it looked like the Western ridge was taller, but it didn't really translate to any more digging. It also looks like this run focuses on an earlier s/w, though I'm not sure about that. It might be the same one but it's just faster.

Clearly,the massive discrepancy in the models tells us any solution is still possible. Would be nice to get the CMC or, even better, the Euro to join the UK/GFS camp with at least SOMETHING.

.40 qpf all snow in immediate triad this run. I prefer 18z. Plenty more runs to get juiced up qpf wise covering a larger area or on the other hand get left at the altar again.

Not bad, really.  Ratios should be good, so maybe 5"+?

Things could be worse.  I'm hoping for an earlier phase, obviously, though.  I'd like to see a true Southeastern Snowstorm from Mississippi to North Carolina.

It's funny, early in the run it looked like the Western ridge was taller, but it didn't really translate to any more digging. It also looks like this run focuses on an earlier s/w, though I'm not sure about that. It might be the same one but it's just faster.

Clearly,the massive discrepancy in the models tells us any solution is still possible. Would be nice to get the CMC or, even better, the Euro to join the UK/GFS camp with at least SOMETHING.

Yep. No euro no storm. Need it to jump on

Going to be rough but maybe interesting week...

This image makes me believe of a possible snow shadow setting up...GFS just lacks the resolution to show it to a better extent. The Piedmont precip could easily slip further east or north-east as well...I would be wanting to see this on Friday not Monday if I was there.

5821_408811662545167_1012531853_n.jpg

This image makes me believe of a possible snow shadow setting up...GFS just lacks the resolution to show it to a better extent. The Piedmont qpf could easily slip further east or north-east as well...I would be wanting to see this on Friday not Monday if I was there.

The modeling isnt showing a shadow just a cutoff of the precip from east to west with the SLP track that far offshore the precip wont make it back to the foothills and mountains easily

Not bad, really.  Ratios should be good, so maybe 5"+?

Things could be worse.  I'm hoping for an earlier phase, obviously, though.  I'd like to see a true Southeastern Snowstorm from Mississippi to North Carolina.

+1. I wish the whole board could get plastered to wash the bad aftertaste the past 2 years have brought. Unfortunately it easier said than done. Standing here 5 days out holding hands with the GFS doesn't exactly make me feel 9 foot tall and bulletproof.

Yep. No euro no storm. Need it to jump on

Euro has been pretty hit or miss this year.  As long as the storm is showing up on some models I wouldn't get too concerned if it isn't on the Euro in the next couple runs.  Seems like the Euro has nailed the big storms (Sandy, snow last weekend which I refuse to call N***) and not much in between.  I'm sure it will have better verification scores than the others overall (it always does) but it certainly has struggled picking up many of these smaller storms this winter in it's usual sweet spot time frame.

The modeling isnt showing a shadow just a cutoff of the precip from east to west with the SLP track that far offshore the precip wont make it back to the foothills and mountains easily

Yea more of a cutoff...but if the mountains ring out some snow showers I would classify it as a shadow here more-so by snow cover extent.

UKMet heights really crash between hours 96-120....http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=60&carte=1021

UK has nothing at 96 hours then a 999 surface low NE of Hatteras at 120. Hard to tell when that pops up (hopefully at hour 97!!!)

Ukie still has the storm, tough to tell what would happen between 96 and 120hrs

0z GEFS pops a broad low over VA/NC coast at 120 and than rapidly strengthens and pounds MA-NE.

Yep, 992 is impressive for an ensemble mean no doubt!

UKMet heights really crash between hours 96-120....http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=60&carte=1021

The trough at 120hrs is incredible. Storm or not it's gonna get really cold over the weekend.

This image makes me believe of a possible snow shadow setting up...GFS just lacks the resolution to show it to a better extent. The Piedmont precip could easily slip further east or north-east as well...I would be wanting to see this on Friday not Monday if I was there.

You're just a character, I always get a good neck workout when I read your posts because I'm always shaking my head so much. It's not a shadow if the mtns aren't getting anything either, it's called the precip doesn't make it that far north and west.

You're just a character, I always get a good neck workout when I read your posts because I'm always shaking my head so much. It's not a shadow if the mtns aren't getting anything either, it's called the precip doesn't make it that far north and west.

The mountains do get something, I am looking at other snowfall maps as well. You are right about the precip...I am just going by snow cover accumulative extent it makes it seem there are very little amounts extending from Virginia foothills south to Asheville, NC. Guess it doesn't really matter at this point. 

The west coast ridge is sharper at 96. I'm just looking at the free maps. but I wouldn't be surprised if this run is an improvement.

Just took a peek at SV maps...so suppressed I don't even think the coast gets flurries....cold as heck though, that's a mean trough.

Archived