joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious. Is there any semblance of a GOM sfc low from members P08 and P10? Why is the precip. so sig. for these two members?

My opinion, but this all comes down to how strong / how consolidated / how far south the northern stream 500mb vort max and associated wave digs, with the strength / placement of the western ridge being the key.  Those 2 members that show the best storms have the 500mb wave digging the farthest south, and closing off, producing dynamically driven snow - http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGT_18z/ensloopmref.html

Dr. No will give his diagnosis later this evening and I am afraid it might be terminal. :yikes: Whatever it shows with this "storm" I think the patient dies after this (patient being winter)

This isn't quite the pattern of last year, so I wouldnt' call it over just yet. Even if this storm goes off the coast, theres a lot going on, and a few more systems will amplify. We will probably turn very, very warm again, but in March, turn severely cold, and maybe enough amplification to have a snowstorm somewhere. Who knows where that would be though.

This thread is nothing short of an early April Fools Day joke. This system will trend drier and warmer like it always does.

It may trend drier (NAM looks good though---and has beat GFS and ECMWF 3, maybe 4 times this season already) at 84 hours.  But it sure won't trend warmer. All models have the coldest thickness of Winter coming right across the heart of the Southeast. It's about time. Most areas of BHM to ATL probably won't get out of the 30's on Saturday with full sun.  If there is any snow cover at all, Sunday morning lows will be lower teens, maybe even lower.  

This isn't quite the pattern of last year, so I wouldnt' call it over just yet. Even if this storm goes off the coast, theres a lot going on, and a few more systems will amplify. We will probably turn very, very warm again, but in March, turn severely cold, and maybe enough amplification to have a snowstorm somewhere. Who knows where that would be though.

It may trend drier (NAM looks good though---and has beat GFS and ECMWF 3, maybe 4 times this season already) at 84 hours.  But it sure won't trend warmer. All models have the coldest thickness of Winter coming right across the heart of the Southeast. It's about time. Most areas of BHM to ATL probably won't get out of the 30's on Saturday with full sun.  If there is any snow cover at all, Sunday morning lows will be lower teens, maybe even lower.  

It's about time we had some decent cold. Atlanta's coldest high temp this winter has been 43.

Not a bad run for North Carolina.  Perhaps a 2-4" event across a large portion of the state.  1-2" in parts of SC, but the precip stops at the SC/GA line.

The reality is that the GFS has shown accumulating snowfall across much of NC for the last three runs now, so it is time to take this threat seriously here, at least.

Not a bad run for North Carolina.  Perhaps a 2-4" event across a large portion of the state.  1-2" in parts of SC, but the precip stops at the SC/GA line.

Not to sound bad, but this is believable.  Our poor north Georgia friends are very familiar with this scenario.

I'm actually a little surprised that snow map is as low as it is.  With those 850 temps I would expect all snow and decent ratios.  Guess we need to see some soundings.

And then a last-minute flare up for Elizabeth City and Norfolk, of course. It wouldn't be a suppressed storm without those areas picking up twice what the piedmont gets.

SE VA NE NC do well this run. The 500 mb low takes a nice track for us but doesn't dig enough like 18z. Regardless, a good run. All we need is a bit more digging for more poeple to get in on this.

Archived