• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2013 Blizzard NESIS Speculation

andyhb

Decided I would create a thread specific to this considering the magnitude of this storm. Right now, I'm definitely thinking at least a high 3, possibly a 4 given the widespread 20-30+" totals, similar to Jan. 2005 and Feb. 1978. While the totals were not as extensive west of the NYC metro (NYC/N NJ still got into 10-20" totals thanks to that intense band that swept through last night), the SNE ones appear more impressive in aerial coverage than those two storms possibly, it was really a crush job for almost the entire region.

Long Island totals should also magnify it. In large portions of CT, this is likely a solid second to 1888 (although there might be some competition with Jan 2011 in some areas).

Agree with all. One of the Biggies. Though I have this unyielding confidence in my stomach that we will be getting another 1 of these very soon. We are not waiting 40 years for this. We aren't even waiting 8 or 5. There have been So many Historic Storms just since late 2009. We are hunting in a forest of many animals.

Agree with all. One of the Biggies. Though I have this unyielding confidence in my stomach that we will be getting another 1 of these very soon. We are not waiting 40 years for this. We aren't even waiting 8 or 5. There have been So many Historic Storms just since late 2009. We are hunting in a forest of many animals.

Agreed.  These large, anomalous, storms seem to have been popping up with increased frequency.  It also seems that a lot of northeastern stations have been recording a large number of top 10 all-time snowfalls over the past 10 years.  This one was bigger than January 12, 2011 but not by a huge margin in CT...Boxing Day brought 30+ inches to spots in SW CT, no? 

Even up here we've had two recent storms with  widespread 2-3 feet (Valentines Day 2007 and March 6-7, 2011).

Its nice to know that these storms seem to be cropping up with some frequency...maybe not to the full extent but I bet most folks on here see another 2-3 foot nor'easter in their lifetimes.

Agreed.  These large, anomalous, storms seem to have been popping up with increased frequency.  It also seems that a lot of northeastern stations have been recording a large number of top 10 all-time snowfalls over the past 10 years.  This one was bigger than January 12, 2011 but not by a huge margin in CT...Boxing Day brought 30+ inches to spots in SW CT, no? 

Even up here we've had two recent storms with  widespread 2-3 feet (Valentines Day 2007 and March 6-7, 2011).

Its nice to know that these storms seem to be cropping up with some frequency...maybe not to the full extent but I bet most folks on here see another 2-3 foot nor'easter in their lifetimes.

This happened in the 1960's, 1970s, now the 2000's.   The only thing common to those eras (other than PDO if so...) is the solar cycling had impressive negative phase. 

perhaps that's more than mere coincidence - I don't know. 

Paul told me this has a chance to be a Category 4, and I believe for Southern New England it will be a Category 5.  No Storm was as wide spread with 20"+ in SNE.  Not even 1978.  1888 and 1969 were behind that.  

I find that hard to believe....

I'd say a 2 (high end)-obviously the New England and Long Island impacts were huge, but southwest of NYC it was a non event. Usually to be ranked a 3 or higher you at least would want more of the Northeast in on it. The Blizzard of 1978 had a far greater expanse of high totals, all the way down to S NJ and Delaware, and significant impacts all the way back into NY and PA.

I'd say a 2 (high end)-obviously the New England and Long Island impacts were huge, but southwest of NYC it was a non event. Usually to be ranked a 3 or higher you at least would want more of the Northeast in on it. The Blizzard of 1978 had a far greater expanse of high totals, all the way down to S NJ and Delaware, and significant impacts all the way back into NY and PA.

I agree 100% jm.

Coming in late, I'll guess at NESIS score between 5 and 6, which is mid-high 3.  The areal extent of 10"+ was somewhat modest while the area of 20"+ is up with some of the 4s.  Missing almost everything south of NYC will hold down the rating, while the frequent spots of 30"+ add some points.

(Trivia note:  Just noticed that, according to the NESIS maps, the northern 1/4 of Maine is not part of the Northeast, as it is never included in the shaded area.  This non-shading came to my attention when I looked at the map for April 6-7, 1982.  CAR had 26.4", at that time their largest on record though now it's #3, but that part of Maine was north of the shaded area.)

The NCDC NESIS map is not going to look like the NWS Raleigh map. Their very strict rules about what data to include (COOP and first order stations) will cause that pretty wide band of 30" to shrink into blobs and dots.

Also, a lot of the posts in this thread show a lack of familiarity of what the NESIS scale is-- you can't have a "Category 5 for Southern New England." It's one value assigned based on area and total population affected by each increment of snow. Again, that area value and total population affected by 30+" snows will be lower than what people are expecting based on spotter reports.

The NCDC NESIS map is not going to look like the NWS Raleigh map. Their very strict rules about what data to include (COOP and first order stations) will cause that pretty wide band of 30" to shrink into blobs and dots.

Also, a lot of the posts in this thread show a lack of familiarity of what the NESIS scale is-- you can't have a "Category 5 for Southern New England." It's one value assigned based on area and total population affected by each increment of snow. Again, that area value and total population affected by 30+" snows will be lower than what people are expecting based on spotter reports.

Well yes obviously... :whistle:

Keep in mind that there were less first order and COOP stations back then (especially in 1978) to keep track of large amounts.

Map of the first order and co-op stations in the Northeast.

stations.gif

True, but posters in the NYC/NJ region definitely were "complaining" about the NESIS map for the Boxing Day storm, which of course was within the past couple of seasons.

1978 was a 4 in Kocin-Uccellini's study and I believe it almost certainly would be if it happened today.

I totally agree. That was probably the most frustrating downgrade from KU's paper to NCDC taking the scale....especially since NCDC decided to include all of the upper Midwest. That 1/78 switched categories with 2/78 makes little sense for a Northeast Snowstorm scale.

Lol...I'm wondering if there should be an increase in the 20-30" and 30"+ weighting (considering these amounts really tend to cripple areas even with adequate infrastructure and snow removal) on the equation to further balance smaller, yet very highly concentrated events over rather large populations (Feb 1978) and more widespread, yet less impressive totals (Jan 1978). There was a reason why 1978 was a "catastrophic and historic nor'easter" (Wiki page) and the other blizzard that is remembered from 1978 is the Cleveland Superbomb compared to the one earlier in January.

19780119-19780121-6.53.jpg

I totally agree. That was probably the most frustrating downgrade from KU's paper to NCDC taking the scale....especially since NCDC decided to include all of the upper Midwest. That 1/78 switched categories with 2/78 makes little sense for a Northeast Snowstorm scale.

At least NCDC includes northern Maine.  (Maybe the KU book does, too, but my download of their article, including maps, does not.)  However, the map of Jan 19-21, 1978 is incorrect in showing most of N.Maine with 10-20" and even a spot of 20+.  My records for Ft.Kent include 13.0" on Jan 18-19 (12.5" by my 9 PM obs time on the 18th) from an entirely different system, then 4.0" on the 21st from the northern fringe of the storm that map intends to portray. 

Archived