joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8/9 Blizzard of 13' Images

TalcottWx

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've had 30.5 since Sunday. The map just issued fortunately is accurate.

They had the 35.0 report on Saturday at 1:30pm, and then replaced it with 30.5 by 4pm Saturday. 

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=9&glossary=0

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=8&glossary=0

Nice to see Tolland county accurately represented by the NWS. Props to BOX!

That map is way too low for the Cape.

That map is way too low for the Cape.

Yeah, 17" in East Sandwich per the NWS Employee.  I posted a bunch of radar grabs during the day Saturday.  He/she was barely in the bands the first 4-5 hours.  I'd go with a solid 20" here if I had to report.  Maybe as much as 22" or so if I'd measured at 6 hours.

Plymouth still a mess, todays image.

post-3232-0-74325500-1360626759_thumb.jp

on the velocity, what does that line in CCT with that mottled color which shows up indicate, can you estimate surface winds with that?

Are you talking about the slim speckled purple line that appears?  Purple is the "no-data" indicator.  I believe just to the east of the megaband there was actually a narrow region of virtually clear air.  With very weak signal there, you cannot resolve velocity adequately.   Most likely the winds in that area were strong and easterly, similar to the area just to the east (that whitish green color).   Further out the solid purple also is indicative of no data, but that's due to range folding.  

Unless it's really close in, it's pretty hard to estimate the surface winds based on radar data alone.  You need to combine it with soundings to evaluate it's ability to mix down.   I was measuring winds 1500m AGL over Quabbin Res of ~72 MPH but was probably more like 40-45 at the surface for example.  

Are you talking about the slim speckled purple line that appears? Purple is the "no-data" indicator. I believe just to the east of the megaband there was actually a narrow region of virtually clear air. With very weak signal there, you cannot resolve velocity adequately. Most likely the winds in that area were strong and easterly, similar to the area just to the east (that whitish green color). Further out the solid purple also is indicative of no data, but that's due to range folding.

Unless it's really close in, it's pretty hard to estimate the surface winds based on radar data alone. You need to combine it with soundings to evaluate it's ability to mix down. I was measuring winds 1500m AGL over Quabbin Res of ~72 MPH but was probably more like 40-45 at the surface for example.

Thanks, we had a gust as that line approached that was the strongest I ever felt here, first a very loud freight train sound then a gust that sent branches flying and debris hitting the house, Kevin had his house rocked about 15 mins later, he is about 20 miles to my NW so it makes sense with the movement

Thanks, we had a gust as that line approached that was the strongest I ever felt here, first a very loud freight train sound then a gust that sent branches flying and debris hitting the house, Kevin had his house rocked about 15 mins later, he is about 20 miles to my NW so it makes sense with the movement

Well, what's extremely impressive about that line is that the winds are mostly out of the east, but even as you look north you are getting very strong velocities.  This likely represents a significant underestimation given that you're not measuring the easterly component well at all.  Some areas east of the radar appear to be folding, so if there were a radar at Tolland looking ESE you'd probably get extremely high values as that line approached.  But still hard to say how they translated to the surface.

Well, what's extremely impressive about that line is that the winds are mostly out of the east, but even as you look north you are getting very strong velocities. Tthis likely represents a significant underestimation given that you're not measuring the easterly component well at all. Some areas east of the radar appear to be folding, so if there were a radar at Tolland looking ESE you'd probably get extremely high values as that line approached. But still hard to say how they translated to the surface.

Thanks wish I had captured the radar after it passed but there were gravity wave looks in a 70 mile ne to sw line.

Archived