joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was explaining how much I wanted as much snow as possible....50 or more if it were doable. After we catch up on sleep when the storm ends we'll need another snow fix. Lets enjoy this one.....a truly epic event for the ages. Think about it, 2-3 inch qpf rainstorms are noteworthy when people always say...imagine if this was snow? Now it will be!

The best part is the mild up next week is gone and there's a snow storm progged late week

How much QPF was in the April Fools 1997 storm?  I gotta imagine that was more QPF as snow than what this storm looks to be.

What a disaster that was for NNE.    We had .5" at Plymouth State.     Yeah there was quite a bit of wasted QPF in 97.

I was explaining how much I wanted as much snow as possible....50 or more if it were doable. After we catch up on sleep when the storm ends we'll need another snow fix. Lets enjoy this one.....a truly epic event for the ages. Think about it, 2-3 inch qpf rainstorms are noteworthy when people always say...imagine if this was snow? Now it will be!

Jerry you are one of my idols on this board, a non met yet an absolute treasure of information.  Enjoy this storm, I know you've been waiting all winter for it.  The ghosts of 93-94 are not walking through that door but I think this will do 

How many of us will be imbibing in something special tomorrow night, toasting GInxy, then heading out for a JebWalk in a whiteout !!!  Congrats to all !!!!

How much QPF was in the April Fools 1997 storm?  I gotta imagine that was more QPF as snow than what this storm looks to be.

That was something like 3.5 in BOS but we lost at least a inch to rain as it didn't get cold enough until the storm wrapped up. Remember it was in the 60s the day before.

I'm just thunder struck by this text - it's like what you read about out over one of those Alaska peninsulas

Snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches. Very windy with lows around 20. northeast winds 30 to 40 mph. Gusts up to 50 mph...increasing to 65 mph after midnight. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Just pushed out a fresh new output on my TrendCast.  Current Snowfall projections based on my inputs are as follows:

Boston:24.8"

Providence: 23.8"

Worcester: 24.4"

Long Island: 12.5"

JFK: 8.1"

Boston weather progression:  Looking for light snow to begin around 17Z, then increasing in intensity around 01Z, with a zone of 02Z to 15Z with snow rates 1.0" and greater, with a peak of 2" around 05Z ot 09Z.  In addition, tracking winds above 44KTS beginning from 09/03Z to 19Z, with a peak of 48KTS possible.  Major impact to Air Travel with LIFR conditions from 08/19Z to 09/18Z.

Providence weather progression:  Light snow starting around 17Z, then increasing around 09/02Z, with a zone of heavy snow from 03Z to 10Z, with rates of 1" or greater per hour, with a peak of 2.5" per hour from 05Z to 08Z.  In addition, winds will be above 44Kts from 09/03Z to 09/11Z, with a peak of 48Kts.

Uploaded all the impacted output at http://smartwxmodel.net/MA.htm       output is now auto-updating every 3 hours as new surface observations are feed into my program.

Jerry you are one of my idols on this board, a non met yet an absolute treasure of information.  Enjoy this storm, I know you've been waiting all winter for it.  The ghosts of 93-94 are not walking through that door but I think this will do 

How many of us will be imbibing in something special tomorrow night, toasting GInxy, then heading out for a JebWalk in a whiteout !!!  Congrats to all !!!!

Hey Mark...thanks for the kind words! We have to meet in brookline one of these days.

That was something like 3.5 in BOS but we lost at least a inch to rain as it didn't get cold enough until the storm wrapped up. Remember it was in the 60s the day before.

So true, I was out in Littleton by 495 and we rained a good part of that night....that was classic.....beautiful Sunday (right?) in the 60's and the new snow record.

I just had a moment ... I was reading some of the finer details of the various warning messages by NWS, and it was reminding me of the Blizzard of '78, the Cleveland Superbomb, where I experience as a child in Kalamazoo,  Michigan.  

I clicked on a desktop window that I had opened up that featured the NWS radar, from earlier, over southern Lower Michigan and Chicago areas, and low a behold, the vort max of the N stream appears as though it is going to pass right over Kalamazoo.   

And here we are, comparing this to the grandfather of all storms.  There were too haul ass horrific storms that year, the Cleveland bomb, and the incredible storm up here in the NE, two weeks later.  There seems to be some kind of mystical connection between Michigan and Massachusetts, like what happens there, happens here the next day, or transitively, a few weeks later.   

I once then read about a Michigan tornado outbreak and an F5 tornado in Flint Michigan - the next day, there was the great Worcester tornado.  June 1953.  

Spatial irony I suppose.   

Updated snowfall probabilities. My 2 things to watch are mesoscale banding (obviously) an dthe track of the mid level low. A track like the GFS is a more run of the mill 10"-15" kinda storm. Something like the NAM/Euro (old EE rule in effect? is an historic event given the stall that's progged and some of the other parameters. 

post-40-0-94572500-1360286986_thumb.png

Updated snowfall probabilities. My 2 things to watch are mesoscale banding (obviously) an dthe track of the mid level low. A track like the GFS is a more run of the mill 10"-15" kinda storm. Something like the NAM/Euro (old EE rule in effect? is an historic event given the stall that's progged and some of the other parameters. 

ryan what are your caution flags with this system, i can speak for everyone here saying you are one of the best, so is there something you are seeing (that lends credence to the GFS mid level low positioning) , that has you concerned.

The late February 2010 double snow event here was absurd in terms of water content. 46" here and up to 60" around Berne with snow that was 10-1 ratio or even a bit wetter. That would be hard to top.

Archived