• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

Phil may be on a hot streak. He was quick not to write this off like 5-6 days ago and he said Boston will hit and perhaps exceed climo snow before the end of winter is over. Im almost there.

I saw his tweet, his house is 52 degrees. Many of us believed in this storm. Euro Ens had this storm in some way or another for about 12 days. Epic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For New England, I think we've really only had one true "once in a lifetime" event recently and that was the October 2011 Snowstorm. This current storm is probably a once per 30 year type storm though so it was certainly rare, but most will see a storm like this more than once in their life.

We've def had our share of very big and impressive events as a whole though recently. Some very impressive snowstorms in just the past 3 years.

Yeah for ORH/BOS this was more of a 1 in 20 yr kinda storm but here in CT we've managed to pull out 2 once in a lifetime events lol.

Part of the reason for that is your climo has many more "big" 30+ events than we do. 

Was a good storm here, but Jan 11 and Oct 11 were better imby. I'm not a huge fan of wind with snowstorms, but it was cool nonetheless. Another 15-20 miles west with the deform band and I'd probably be singing a different tune. Regardless, there's a lot of snow out there and it found every nook and cranny to blow into. The BLSN has made it fairly dense so it should be around for awhile.

For New England, I think we've really only had one true "once in a lifetime" event recently and that was the October 2011 Snowstorm. This current storm is probably a once per 30 year type storm though so it was certainly rare, but most will see a storm like this more than once in their life.

We've def had our share of very big and impressive events as a whole though recently. Some very impressive snowstorms in just the past 3 years.

Yeah, it certainly feels like we've had an unusual frequency of anomalous events since 2011: Jan 2011 snowbanks, the Springfield long-track tornado, Irene, the Halloween snowstorm, winter 2011-12 near futility record / warmest winter on record, Sandy. It's a mixed bag, and obviously not reason to favor other anomalous events. But feels like an incredible stretch.

Yeah for ORH/BOS this was more of a 1 in 20 yr kinda storm but here in CT we've managed to pull out 2 once in a lifetime events lol.

Part of the reason for that is your climo has many more "big" 30+ events than we do. 

it's really crazy when you think about it,

i mean april 97 gave areas 30 inches in E MA  so did jan 05 , and now this drop'd nearly 30 in some town in E ma again. there is prolly a storm i'm forgetting as well. It just seems 30 in snow for EMA are now not as rare as they used to be, i think some of this is actually "new measuring technique / every 6 hours, instead of wandering out after compaction and sticking a ruler in" (can add at least 10-12% to storm total) but also i think we are in a more volitile pattern that is in a sense more "anomalous" and that goes for heat waves and "mid latitude cyclones IMO" speculation , but just seems more frequent in nature.

BTW anyone know what ORH/ BOS/KTAN had for qpf

i mean april 97 gave areas 30 inches in E MA  so did jan 05 , and now this drop'd nearly 30 in some town in E ma again. there is prolly a storm i'm forgetting as well. It just seems 30 in snow for EMA are now not as rare as they used to be, i think some of this is actually "new measuring technique / every 6 hours, instead of wandering out after compaction and sticking a ruler in" (can add at least 10-12% to storm total) but also i think we are in a more volitile pattern that is in a sense more "anomalous" and that goes for heat waves and "mid latitude cyclones IMO" speculation , but just seems more frequent in nature.

It may not matter since there had to be significant undercatch due to the winds. I had way more liquid than CON and PWM from my melted core cample. ORH only had 0.68" and BOS 0.50" from the ASOS, but it looks like BOX and GYX adjusted the amounts to 10:1 or worse.

Go here, choose your state and the date, you'll see what some people measured http://www.daculaweather.com/4_cocorahs_precip_map.php

Awsome map, Jayhawk.  That purple "bullseye" over central Orange Co., VT is my whopping 10.5".

CTBlizz--I can relate with the broken body.  The winter of 07/08 just about destroyed my body up here with 150" of snow and as much as 49" otg at one point.  That was a year of heavy heavy plowing, snowblowing and shoveling for me.  1700' long driveweay and all.  ;)

Great storm for you guys down yonder.  Not bad up here and was fun to watch from afar...

Seeing totals near 30" around here. Indeed I might be conservative with my guess, but shoveling would support the high amounts...jeez.

Can't stress how bad it is to my south. I'm seeing Facebook posts for people asking for help. Roads impassable still with trees everywhere...I mean everywhere. Now its near zero there. Bad.

Awsome map, Jayhawk.  That purple "bullseye" over central Orange Co., VT is my whopping 10.5".

CTBlizz--I can relate with the broken body.  The winter of 07/08 just about destroyed my body up here with 150" of snow and as much as 49" otg at one point.  That was a year of heavy heavy plowing, snowblowing and shoveling for me.  1700' long driveweay and all.  ;)

Great storm for you guys down yonder.  Not bad up here and was fun to watch from afar...

Yeah, 07/08 was our benchmark year ..I had 135"ish and my driveway-side snow piles were approaching 10' in height without Rev-inspired sculpting. Good times ... good times ...

Oh, should also note that map is only thru 10am yesterday, so that is far from a final image.

lost power @ 10 on the 8th as a trunk transmission line onto aquidneck island went down. got power back late yesterday PM. heated up the house a little extra and it held @ 52 most of yesterday. have a gen but it wasn't configured to heat the house, gonna have my brother in law's work place make me a power cord to back feed my panel through the dryer outlet. this is the 3rd time in last 15 months we've lost power for at least 24 hours

not a lot of snow, but its so heavy and wet it has my 60 of my 10' + wichita blue and yews on the ground. just a shrub and landscape mauler here. don't know officially but it seems we got out 2.5-3" of qpf in 15" of cement. cleaned up my place and my mother's yesterday. my father in law is today. drove to cranston last night saw caravans on power and light up and down 95 , one crew from reed city MI so they are out there. NE Grid in RI put more than 100,000 household back on line yesterday. can't thank those guys enough

some semblance of normalcy last night around here. went out about 530 foraging for food. roads are plowed but narrow. beautiful scene out there. stopped at stop and shop for a couple things. shelves were bare. about 50/50 with restaurants open.

Unfortunately big financial hit for a lot of resturants losing a friday and a saturday.

Archived