SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 9th-11th Potential Significant Winter Storm

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet...at least in terms of a major winter storm. The potential exists for something decent, but both the chance for northern stream interference and the relatively high amplitude shortwave ridge ahead of the cutoff anomaly suggest thermals will be marginal except deep into the cold sector. Someone on the edge may get a sloppy mess of rain/snow. That said, probably the best threat in ages for much of the plains and portions of the Front Range.

I am not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet...at least in terms of a major winter storm. The potential exists for something decent, but both the chance for northern stream interference and the relatively high amplitude shortwave ridge ahead of the cutoff anomaly suggest thermals will be marginal except deep into the cold sector. Someone on the edge may get a sloppy mess of rain/snow. That said, probably the best threat in ages for much of the plains and portions of the Front Range.

I shouldn't have worded it as "major"  but it could be a significant storm for a large area, especially in terms of moisture...i don't think Nebraska has had anything worth a damn all winter. Right now, it looks like w/nc NE, e SD & wc/n MN has the best shot of the heaviest snow...mix cocktail for my area and rain se MN.

I shouldn't have worded it as "major"  but it could be a significant storm for a large area, especially in terms of moisture...i don't think Nebraska has had anything worth a damn all winter. Right now, it looks like w/nc NE, e SD & wc/n MN has the best shot of the heaviest snow...mix cocktail for my area and rain se MN.

Latest 00z GFS does not look bad...still a bit warm for you but would be an impressive event for portions of the High Plains into SD and ND.

Latest model suites keep shifting north.  Starting to get interesting for us here in Grand Forks if these trends stay consistent.  The deformation band looks to be a little unrealistically far away to the NW though at this point.  Still, something to follow!

Latest model suites keep shifting north.  Starting to get interesting for us here in Grand Forks if these trends stay consistent.  The deformation band looks to be a little unrealistically far away to the NW though at this point.  Still, something to follow!

I tend to agree. Deep PV ejection fro the Rockies almost always favor a farther S track than the models prog due to poor handling on terrain influences on PV stretching. That said, this is the first decent CO Low/leeside ejection we have seen all winter for the Northern Plains/High Plains.

I tend to agree. Deep PV ejection fro the Rockies almost always favor a farther S track than the models prog due to poor handling on terrain influences on PV stretching. That said, this is the first decent CO Low/leeside ejection we have seen all winter for the Northern Plains/High Plains.

It seems as if the northward trend has coincided with the models picking up on the development of the Nor'easter, though.  I think that the Nor'easter really bombing out and stalling/looping (by some of the models) up there in the NE is bringing the northern plains system further north and west also.  The Nor'easter seems to be helping to amplify the pattern perhaps... steering our system further north.

It seems as if the northward trend has coincided with the models picking up on the development of the Nor'easter, though.  I think that the Nor'easter really bombing out and stalling/looping (by some of the models) up there in the NE is bringing the northern plains system further north and west also.  The Nor'easter seems to be helping to amplify the pattern perhaps... steering our system further north.

I guess I will have to respectively disagree with you. EC bomb has been sufficiently well modeled for days now, the synoptic evolution of the ejecting PV anomaly is likely driven more by northern stream interaction.

I guess I will have to respectively disagree with you. EC bomb has been sufficiently well modeled for days now, the synoptic evolution of the ejecting PV anomaly is likely driven more by northern stream interaction.

MPX already issuing winter storm watches for my area...they also seem to think the EC bomb could affect the track of the weekend storm.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN

232 PM CST THU FEB 7 2013

.DISCUSSION...

THE MAIN FORECAST ISSUE IS OBVIOUSLY THE POTENTIAL FOR A

SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM ACROSS THE AREA OVER THE SECOND HALF OF

THE WEEKEND. LATEST WATER VAPOR IMAGERY AND RAP UPPER AIR ANALYSES

SHOW THE FEATURE OF INTEREST MOVING INTO THE WEST COAST AT THE

CURRENT TIME. THE OTHER FEATURES OF INTEREST IN THE BIG PICTURE

ARE THE UPPER WAVE CURRENTLY MOVING THROUGH OUR AREA... WHICH IS

HELPING TO GENERATE A SWATH OF PCPN OFF TO OUR SOUTHEAST... AND

THE SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE MOVING ALONG THE GULF COAST. THESE TWO

UPPER WAVES WILL PHASE OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST AND CREATE A

BLOCKBUSTER OF A WINTER STORM FOR FOLKS IN NEW ENGLAND OVER THE

NEXT 48 HOURS. THE EVOLUTION OF THAT SYSTEM WILL IMPACT HOW THE

WESTERN SHORTWAVE BEHAVES AS IT EJECTS NORTHEAST INTO OUR AREA

OVER THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEKEND. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE

EASTERN STORM BOTTLES UP THE FLOW WILL HELP DICTATE THE TRACK AND

AMPLITUDE OF THE UPPER PATTERN AHEAD OF OUR SYSTEM... WHICH IS

LIKELY PART OF WHY WE/RE STILL SEEING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF

SPREAD IN THE GUIDANCE AS TO HOW THINGS WILL UNFOLD ACROSS OUR

AREA. THE NAM AND GFS ARE FARTHEST WEST... ALONG WITH THE SREF...

WHILE THE ECMWF... GEM... AND FIM ARE FARTHER EAST. AT THIS

POINT... THE CONSENSUS OF THE GUIDANCE IS FAIRLY CLOSE TO THE

ECMWF EVOLUTION... SO WILL STICK SOMEWHAT CLOSE TO THAT WHILE

ALLOWING FOR A BIT MORE WARMING IN THE LOW LEVEL THERMAL PROFILES

IN ACCORDANCE WITH WHAT THE NAM AND GFS SUGGEST TO SOME EXTENT.

THIS WOULD CONTINUE TO SUGGEST A MIXED PCPN EVENT FOR A GOOD PART

OF THE AREA... WITH THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST PORTION OF THE AREA

HAVING THE GREATEST LIKELIHOOD OF REMAINING ALL SNOW. WITH THAT IN

MIND... WILL BE ISSUING A WINTER STORM WATCH THAT INCLUDES THE

NORTHERN AND WESTERN PORTION OF THE AREA FROM SATURDAY NIGHT

THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE WATCH MAY NEED TO BE

EXTENDED SOUTH/EAST IN AREA DEPENDING UPON HOW EXPECTATIONS

EVOLVE... BUT FOR NOW DECIDED TO FOCUS ON WHERE CONFIDENCE IS

HIGHEST THAT 6-8 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOW WILL OCCUR... ALONG WITH

STRONG WINDS.

Disagreeing is fine! :)  And you have way more experience than me in your career and especially in this region.  I am more just postulating on possible reasons for the northern trend in the American models... just possibilities that were running through my head, thinking out loud almost.

Not sure how many of you guys remember this storm [it links to NWS Grand Forks news article]. Now back to the present - Rapid City, Aberdeen, and Chanahassen have posted watches as of this afternoon. The storm from last year indicated at about this far out that most of eastern North Dakota was going to get walloped with 12"+ of snow. In the storm totals map we see that the heaviest snow was confined to SE ND, NE SD, and western MN.  I bet the folks at FGF are holding back for another 12-24 hours or so just to make sure the models don't flip-flop-and flip again on them like they did in February 2012.

Not sure how many of you guys remember this storm [it links to NWS Grand Forks news article]. Now back to the present - Rapid City, Aberdeen, and Chanahassen have posted watches as of this afternoon. The storm from last year indicated at about this far out that most of eastern North Dakota was going to get walloped with 12"+ of snow. In the storm totals map we see that the heaviest snow was confined to SE ND, NE SD, and western MN.  I bet the folks at FGF are holding back for another 12-24 hours or so just to make sure the models don't flip-flop-and flip again on them like they did in February 2012.

I remember that storm...got 6" from it and was the biggest storm of the 2011-2012 season for my area.

I will be wishing you guys more luck than me on this system. Looks like there will be some chance of freezing rain accumulation in SD and MN. There's also a chance for over 1.2" of liquid equivalent in the snow area. Even if that GFS QPF is overdone, the snow/rain ratio could get you 9-13" by Aberdeen. I hate worrying about the ice storm factor.

post-1182-0-30724200-1360279451_thumb.gi

I posted this in the UND-ATMOS storm disco page...

Models are notoriously bad at simulating leeside ejections, especially those without sufficient vertical resolution to properly resolve the Rocky mountain system and the effects it has on the synoptic evolution as the PV anomaly ejects. It is pretty common for these to ejects substantially farther south than modeled. I have little to zero confidence (in my humble opinion of course) the NAM has any shot of verifying. The SREFS also show this bias as they are limited in the vertical resolution department as well. Farther S ejection will tend to halt northward advancement as well...with substantial northern stream interference becoming a problem as the low begins its baroclinic development. ECMWF/RGEM/GFS are much better in the vertical resolution department."

Personally I think this will end well S of what the NAM is depicting, but it will be fun to watch.

I remember that storm...got 6" from it and was the biggest storm of the 2011-2012 season for my area.

I remember that storm vividly...it was the top storm of the year while I was in North Platte during last winters debacle. I wrote a paper on it mostly discussing PV effects and latent heat release. Different setup completely, but the southern ejection applies here, and the ECMWF, IMHO, depicts what typically happens to an ejecting low in the low levels owing to PV stretching across the Rockies.

I do think its clear that the NAM is an outlier at this point... but I still want to dream that it verifies... over an inch of QPF for the Forks... but I understand its not likely.  But I'd say it IS possible.  The trough isn't even over land yet... we should know more when it gets sampled better with the upper air data.

I do think its clear that the NAM is an outlier at this point... but I still want to dream that it verifies... over an inch of QPF for the Forks... but I understand its not likely.  But I'd say it IS possible.  The trough isn't even over land yet... we should know more when it gets sampled better with the upper air data.

I still give it basically no shot at verifying. just seen this too much, and the NAM, oddly enough, it the most limited model when it comes to vertical resolution...which is so important for leeside ejections.

euro does nail nc NE, e SD, se ND & w half of MN with the heaviest qpf....maybe a ECM/GFS compromise as the GFS has been steady too.

I think the GFS is too far N too, but it is a viable solution. Canadian still looks odd with the very southern track, but will need to watch northern stream...as that can put a huge kabash on northward advancement real quickly with poorly resolved shortwaves.

Archived