• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Friday February 8th Storm Potential

Edge Weather

Day 8 doesnt look too shabby either  , Man if you can get this one in the slot , and next weeks to  roll in , how would that be for the ultimate turn around.

I think HPC is smart to start here , , they have  days to nudge em up if need be  , Euro is on the top end of the range with SNE seeing  3.5 inches of frozen QPF ,  dont think that has ever happened so they have to see more than one run to go all in like that  .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...A RELATIVELY QUIET SET-UP ON THURSDAY LOOKS TO GIVE WAY TO MUCHMORE ACTIVE WEATHER BY FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY.STARTING ON THURSDAY...COLD HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE SHIFTING FARTHERNORTH AND EAST INTO CANADA...AS LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS ACROSS THEMIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES STATES. THE DAY LOOKS TO BE DRY...WITHHIGH TEMPS STAYING BELOW NORMAL AS 850 TEMPS RUN AROUND -6 TO -8C.BY THURSDAY NIGHT...INGREDIENTS START COMING TOGETHER FOR A BUSY ENDTO THE WEEK. A NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE WILL BE PROPAGATING TO THEEAST ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES...WHILE A SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE PUSHESTHROUGH THE SOUTHEAST US. THE 12Z GFS CONTINUED ITS TREND OF COMINGCLOSER TO THE ECMWF SOLUTION...BY SHOWING A DEEPER NORTHERN STREAMWAVE THAT ENHANCES PHASING WITH THE SOUTHERN WAVE ON FRIDAY.CONSIDERING A NUMBER OF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS ALSO ENHANCED THE PHASINGOVER PREVIOUS RUNS...AND THE CONSISTENCY OF THE ECMWF SOLUTIONOVER THE PAST FEW RUNS...IT APPEARS MORE LIKELY THAT STRONGSURFACE CYCLOGENESIS WILL OCCUR OFF THE EAST COAST FRIDAY INTOFRIDAY NIGHT. A MAJORITY OF THE DETERMINISTIC AND ENSEMBLESOLUTIONS MOVE THE DEEPENING SURFACE LOW NEAR OR JUST SOUTHEAST OFTHE 40/70 BENCHMARK FRIDAY NIGHT. THEREFORE...CONFIDENCE ISINCREASING IN THE AREA REALIZING HEAVIER PRECIP DURING THIS TIMEPERIOD. UPPED POPS TO LIKELY ON FRIDAY. NONETHELESS...HIGHUNCERTAINTY STILL EXISTS WITH THE EXACT EVOLUTION OF THE EVENT.AS FOR THE PRECIP TYPE...THERE IS ALSO A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OFUNCERTAINTY. DESPITE THE CENTER OF SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE PLACEDACROSS CANADA IN GOOD POSITION FOR COLD AIR DAMMING...THEWEAKENING SURFACE LOW NEAR THE GREAT LAKES KEEPS LOW-LEVEL WINDSFROM GAINING MORE OF A NORTHERLY COMPONENT DURING THE DAY FRIDAY.THEREFORE... EXPECT PRECIP TO START OFF AS SNOW ACROSS MOST OF THEAREA THURSDAY NIGHT...BEFORE TRANSITIONING TO RAIN ACROSS COASTALSECTIONS ON FRIDAY. USED ECMWF 1000-850MB THICKNESSES AS ASTARTING POINT AND THEN ADJUSTED P-TYPES FROM THERE. AFTER LOOKINGAT LOW-LEVEL WIND TRAJECTORIES...BELIEVE THE GFS CONTINUES TOOVERESTIMATE THE WAA ACROSS THE AREA ON FRIDAY...HOWEVER EVEN THECOOLER ECMWF THICKNESSES SUGGEST MIXING ACROSS A SIGNIFICANTPORTION OF THE AREA FRIDAY. WITH A DEEPENING OFFSHORE LOWHOWEVER... POTENTIAL EXISTS THAT DYNAMIC COOLING COULD ERODE THEWARM AIR QUICKER...BUT DID NOT GET TOO DETAILED AT THIS STAGE.COLDER AIR FILTERS IN BEHIND THE LOW FRIDAY NIGHT...WITH PRECIPTRANSITIONING BACK TO SNOW ACROSS THE AREA. POTENTIAL ALSO EXISTSFOR ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE DEPARTING LOWFRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. IN ADDITION TO THEPRECIP...THE STRONG PRESSURE GRADIENT WILL PRODUCE GUSTY EASTERLYWINDS ON FRIDAY...TURNING MORE NORTHERLY BY FRIDAY NIGHT.HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN BEHIND THE DEPARTING LOW OVER THEWEEKEND...WITH TEMPS SLOWLY WARMING. BY MONDAY...BUILDING HEIGHTSALOFT AND A SURFACE HIGH MOVING OFFSHORE WILL RESULT INTEMPERATURES WARMING ABOVE NORMAL. AN APPROACHING WAVE AND FRONTALSYSTEM WILL BRING OUR NEXT CHANCE FOR PRECIP ON MONDAY.

Hard to argue against that forecaster who did them though. 'Kocin' The one and only.

I agree. It was a great seminar when he came to Kean University a few years ago. I miss his winter storm coverages on The Weather Channel. Now the Weather Channel is a joke.

NWS going with rain here, odd.

Friday Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

I agree. It was a great seminar when he came to Kean University a few years ago. I miss his winter storm coverages on The Weather Channel. Now the Weather Channel is a joke.

NWS going with rain here, odd.

Friday Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

why is it odd ? Did you read their AFD ? Makes alot of sense  - they do leave the door open for some changes though - MT Holly does not they say all rain after snow to start thursday night

why is it odd ? Did you read their AFD ? Makes alot of sense  - they do leave the door open for some changes though - MT Holly does not they say all rain after snow to start thursday night

No I didn't get a chance to read it. I guess they are favoring the GFS/GGEM. But the Euro has been so consistent it's very hard to bet against. I'm pretty far inland here. The forecast for Ramsey out of Upton which is to my east is mostly snow.

No I didn't get a chance to read it. I guess they are favoring the GFS/GGEM. But the Euro has been so consistent it's very hard to bet against. I'm pretty far inland here. The forecast for Ramsey out of Upton which is to my east is mostly snow.

There's still time for a lot of this to change. We need a ton to go right for us to even have a shot at a real event here.

NOAA and the TV media all favor the GFS. That's why they are always backtracking on their forecasts. They will never learn.

Rossi

There's still time for a lot of this to change. We need a ton to go right for us to even have a shot at a real event here.

I disagree. This isn't one of those situations where if it tracks closer to the coast it's rain. A track closer to the coast and an earlier phase will help us increase snow amounts greatly.

NOAA and the TV media all favor the GFS. That's why they are always backtracking on their forecasts. They will never learn.

Rossi

I don't know about that. The GFS has probably scored slightly better than the Euro this winter. I tell you what, if the Euro doesn't even come close verifying, especially up in Boston, this will be one of its worst defeats ever.

Jeezus...

The 12z ECMWF EPS Control is absolutely insane. It's even more amped up and further west than the 12z ECM Operational. 

@ 78 hours there's a 998mb low off of the Delmarva

@ 84 hours there's a 986mb low due south of LI and the entire Tri-state is getting demolished

@ 90 hours there's a 978mb bomb SW of the BM with insane QPF from CNJ-BOS

@ 96 hours the low moves due east and the entire area is still seeing moderate to heavy snow. 

I would pay to have this verify. Easy MECS-HECS from NYC-BOS...

Jeezus...

The 12z ECMWF EPS Control is absolutely insane. It's even more amped up and further west than the 12z ECM Operational. 

@ 84 hours there's a 986mb low due south of LI and the entire Tri-state is getting demolished

@ 96 hours the low moves due east and the entire area is still seeing moderate to heavy snow. 

How I wish this was 24hrs out instead of 72-96hrs...

Rossi

Alan Kasper as of this morning is forecasting just snow or a wintry mix - haven't heard any updates from him during the day but after he saw all of todays guidance can't see how he could change his thinking yet

http://nj1015.com/weather/

Jeezus...

That impressive?

Honestly, he sleeps in the afternoon. Other than snoozing, there's not much going on right now.

Alan Kasper as of this morning is forecasting just snow or a wintry mix - haven't heard any updates from him during the day but after he saw all of todays guidance can't see how he could change his thinking yet

http://nj1015.com/weather/

Jeezus...

Yes, it is pretty crazy.  I just saw it too.  And I will tell you one thing.  The Euro Control run did better with the actual track and impact of the October 29, 2011 snowstorm here than even the operational run.  Already today, it was closer to the coast and quicker developing than the operational run on the 0z run and we saw the 12 operational run trend toward it.  I am guessing we will see the same thing with the 0z run tonight.  I honestly believe this storm may be historic here. 

Archived