SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going in and out of moderate snow with low visibility, around a few hundred feet, on the southern edge of the band. The radar presentation is starting to look more impressive with single core of stronger reflectivity developing. It will be interesting to see conditions here in the next several hours as the band slowly moves to the south.

Latest Reports....LOL at the 1 inch in OP. Wonder who that is.

NEW YORK...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...   PERRYSBURG            15.0  1014 PM  1/31  CO-OP OBSERVER...ERIE COUNTY...   ORCHARD PARK           1.0   800 PM  1/31  FACEBOOK...LEWIS COUNTY...   1 NE PARKERS          21.0  1015 PM  1/31  FACEBOOK...OSWEGO COUNTY...   SANDY CREEK            5.0   742 PM  1/31  CO-OP OBSERVER...WYOMING COUNTY...   PERRY                  5.5  1030 PM  1/31  AT MONTAGUE INN

Someone is going to end up with 3 feet out of that Lake Ontario band by tomorrow evening. That thing is beautiful!

Much of central and northern Oswego county is getting hammered right now. Back to near whiteout conditions here, though it doesn't look like we have more than 2 inches on the ground. Hard to tell with the wind.

BREAKING DOWN THE DETAILS…

LAKE SNOWS WILL BE ONGOING EAST-NORTHEAST OF BOTH LAKES ON SATURDAY

AS H85 TEMPS OF -18C WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT GENEROUS AMOUNTS OF

LAKE INDUCED CONVECTION. WHILE A CAP IN THE VCNTY OF 8K FT WILL BE

SOMEWHAT OF A LIMITING FACTOR…THE FACT THAT THIS WILL BE A VERY

COLD AIRMASS WILL KEEP A FAVORABLY DEEP DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE IN

PLACE. THIS SHOULD SUPPORT AN ABUNDANCE OF LIGHT FLUFFY SNOW AS SNOW

TO WATER RATIOS WILL APPROACH 25:1. THIS MAY ENABLE ACCUMULATIONS TO

APPROACH WARNING CRITERIA (> 6″/12 HRS) ACROSS THE HEART OF ERIE

COUNTY (BUFFALO SOUTHTOWNS) AND FROM THE NORTHERN SLOPES OF THE TUG

HILL NORTH AND EAST TO WATERTOWN AND NORTHERN SECTIONS OF LEWIS

COUNTY…BUT GIVEN THE LOW CONFIDENCE WILL HOLD ONTO THE WATCH FOR

ONE MORE FORECAST PACKAGE. THE AREA OF SNOW EAST OF LK ONTARIO WILL

BE SOMEWHAT MORE BROADBRUSH IN NATURE AS A HIGHER SHEARED ENVIRONMENT

IS EXPECTED. OTHERWISE…WEAK LOW PRESSURE OVER THE MID WEST WILL

APPROACH OUR REGION AND SPREAD SOME LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS OVER THE

REMAINDER OF THE SRN TIER AND FINGER LAKES REGION. TEMPERATURES WILL

BE IN THE TEENS AND LOWER 20S. THESE VALUES WILL BE MORE THAN 10 DEG

F BELOW NORMAL.

that's always the "problem" about living on campus...half the snow that falls ends up blowing off campus into the city lol.

Measurements at SUNY Oswego are somewhat suspect because of this.

But most of the time, one can at least guage the accuracy by looking at some areas just inland, away from the wind.

BTW, what a trip in to work (at SU)!!!  3+"/hr. stuff...glad I just had new tires put on....lots of people having problems negotiating hills.

that's always the "problem" about living on campus...half the snow that falls ends up blowing off campus into the city lol.

Measurements at SUNY Oswego are somewhat suspect because of this.

Yeah, it seems to happen for many lake effect events although we got a few nice events in 2010-2011 with fairly light winds.

Is it normal to get events like that because I'm going to Oswego in the fall for meteorology and I want to be prepared.

I'd say that there is usually a decent amount of wind with the lake effect on campus. The wind will usually die down somewhat when we get into the center of an intense band and then pick up again once we are on the edges where there is stronger low-level inflow. That tends to blow most of the snow around anyway.

Is it normal to get events like that because I'm going to Oswego in the fall for meteorology and I want to be prepared.

Just keep your expectations in check...and keep in mind Oswego averages way more than the vast majority of people in this country and nearly everyone on this board.  But it has the "buffalo problem" where you average plenty...but locations near you get much more on average than you.  Oswego had 2 200" winters while I was there, but that's more the exception than the rule.

But most of the time, one can at least guage the accuracy by looking at some areas just inland, away from the wind.

BTW, what a trip in to work (at SU)!!!  3+"/hr. stuff...glad I just had new tires put on....lots of people having problems negotiating hills.

They ended up closing Rt. 81 in Tully for a 20 vehicle accident.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/I-81-shut-down-in-both-directions-from-LaFayette/ZYmJejFWxkynBxOKPsx5AQ.cspx

Yeah, I saw a car sliding backwards (in the wrong lane) on E. Colvin St. up near Manley Field House as I was coming in.  Many cars/SUV's had problems when they stopped on the hill going up....they couldn't get enough momentum to get going again without spinning.  I waited near the bottom, then never stopped, which proved to be the correct choice.

I love how the 12z ARW and NMM are worlds apart.  ARW gives BUF 2 to 3 ft...NMM probably about 6".

I'd probably go with a low end warning with 6 to 10"...but who knows.  Biggest variable is band strength imo.

Any thoughts on band placement?  I've read some discussion that the band could end up north of BUF most of tomorrow before swinging back through later in the day.  

I wouldn't be surprised if BUF goes with the advisory as opposed to the warning...lots of questions on the band strength.

Buffalo is going to go warning judging by there graphical 2-d software. They have Buffalo getting over to a foot by tomorrow night! ^_^

Think I might drive up to my parents house on Amherst/Cheektowaga border for this event.

At least at mid-afternoon, Don Paul was sticking to his story that the Erie Cty band would end up drifting too far north to bring likely warning criteria amounts to points N of the s-towns. He mentioned their RPM modeling.

Have gotten two quick bursts in N Buffalo in the last hour or so. Not adding up to much, 1/2" at most.

I don't think the band will get all that far north.  The sigma winds gets to about 250...even though the surface winds do come around to about 220.  The band placement is typically dictated by the mean cloud bearing layer.

I'd guess North Buffalo or so...but some models show it bodily into Niagara County which I don't see.

Archived