SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing moderate to heavy right now. About 1" down already.

Yeah, was suprised to see it snowing pretty decently out this morning, it is still coming down nicely. Looks like a prolonged WSW flow for the next 1-2 days. Was surprised to see it accumulate so quickly, even on the roads. But I guess temperatures around 26 will do that even with the high sun angle.

Snow has been quite impressive here for this time of year. Currently +SN but only in burst. Its managed to accumulate a couple inches during the day today but the most impressive thing is at my work just 2 miles to my north has literally half if not less of the amount of snow I have at my house. This is an awesome little event.

Snow has been quite impressive here for this time of year. Currently +SN but only in burst. Its managed to accumulate a couple inches during the day today but the most impressive thing is at my work just 2 miles to my north has literally half if not less of the amount of snow I have at my house. This is an awesome little event.

I go into the gym at 5 and come out at like 7:30 and there is 2 inches on my car and near blizzard conditions. Freaking Awesome! Its extremely windy as well.

Surprised people arnt more pumped about this event east of Lake Ontario. 18-28" of lake effect at the end of March is pretty impressive.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

335 PM EDT TUE MAR 19 2013

NYZ006>008-200345-

/O.CON.KBUF.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-130320T0000Z/

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.W.0007.130320T0000Z-130321T2200Z/

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OSWEGO...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS

EVENING...

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS

EVENING TO 6 PM EDT THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...OSWEGO...JEFFERSON...AND LEWIS COUNTIES.

* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY EVENING.

* HAZARDS...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...AN INCH OR LESS THIS AFTERNOON...6 TO 10 INCHES

TONIGHT...WITH ADDITIONAL 12 TO 18 INCHES WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY

NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH

SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITY.

Surprised people arnt more pumped about this event east of Lake Ontario. 18-28" of lake effect at the end of March is pretty impressive.

NYZ006>008-200345-

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

EVENING...

NIGHT.

Wow 2 feet+ for those areas is crazy talk this late in March, especially from Lake Effect. A really nice band about to move through here the next 1-2 hours. Will probably be near whiteout conditions!

NYZ006>008-200345-

OSWEGO-JEFFERSON-LEWIS-

EVENING...

NIGHT.

The tug hill should do very well; I think the 4km nam has been showing between 2-3" LE of snow. I don't think I'll see too much accumulation when I get back to Oswego though.

9.4 inch total from this recent storm. That is cumulative over the 27 hour duration of the event. We are edging our way toward respectability with 66 inches now on the season.

Yeah, same up this way....I'm just over 100" on the season with this latest blast...so within 20 or so percent of normal........as of now......

f132.gif

I assume my normal snowfall here in the hills is around 80 inches...or so. A couple more events and we might make it.

The models seem to be converging on some kind of center-jump scenario for early next week. The Euro is still furthest south, but north of yesterday. Looking beyond the pattern just keeps going right into April...really no way for warmer weather to approach us. :)

Yeah, same up this way....I'm just over 100" on the season with this latest blast...so within 20 or so percent of normal........as of now......

f132.gif

That 30-40" was reported at Tuggers in Barnes Corners and Montague Inn... seen pics and it looks DEEP real DEEP.

Yeah....and it snowed up there pretty much all night....should be epic riding conditions for a decent size area of the Tug in a day or so once this all settles.

BTW, at the time of this post, look to my last post and note that there is now about 4' of snow on the ground up there!!!

I rode out of Turin yesterday and stayed south of the Lake Effect band and there still was easily 1' fresh from Tuesday night. Without hitting the real deep recent snow there is still a ton of snow up there. Snowmobile signs buried, roads signs about 3' off the top of snow, etc.  Around 6" in Turin overnight.

I have some pictures Flying MXZ sent yesterday but I don't know how to post them.  Any suggestions?

Gonna be taking a road trip to the tug hill tomorrow to see the snow. There at 5 feet now and its still snowing, its just something i gotta see. Ill be sure to take tons of pics and some video too!

Enjoy!!  Although, I bet it settles quite a bit (maybe back down to 4').....then again...they may get back into it (orographically for awhile) tonight.  And the best part is, is the fact that down in our area, we are looking to add another few inches or more tonight as winds shift.....nice little bang to end winter!!!

cam_2.jpg

If my old hydrological map of the Albany area is correct, yeah, you get around 80 or so.  About 12" here for the storm...I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't kept a complete daily winter log at my new location here this winter as I did in Rotterdam for 7 years, due to dealing with two young kids in a new home.  I hope to start again next winter. After this storm it feels more like a normal season, but still tough getting fringed storm after storm.

I assume my normal snowfall here in the hills is around 80 inches...or so. A couple more events and we might make it.

The models seem to be converging on some kind of center-jump scenario for early next week. The Euro is still furthest south, but north of yesterday. Looking beyond the pattern just keeps going right into April...really no way for warmer weather to approach us. :)

Just got back from the Tug Hill and I figure I'll let the pictures talk from themselves (I'm 6 foot 2, prob close to 6 foot 4 with my boots on for perspective). Absolutely AMAZING!!!!!

Most of these pictures are from the town of Worth,NY

dscn0374r.jpg

dscn0385l.jpg

dscn0390fq.jpg

dscn0398r.jpg

dscn0400x.jpg

dscn0401g.jpg

dscn0375e.jpg

dscn0413b.jpg

dscn0415z.jpg

dscn0418x.jpg

These are just some of the 96 photos I took today. Enjoy!

Archived