Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the long range thread in the Philly subforum. The models are kind of useless in the mid-long range due to the complicated pattern that has set up and that cuts both ways - don't get your hopes up if you see a storm and don't get too discouraged if you don't see anything. 

Yeah, that thread has been excellent between tombo, HM and Ventrice.  I just wish I had a clue with about half the stuff they talk about.  :(

Yeah, that thread has been excellent between tombo, HM and Ventrice.  I just wish I had a clue with about half the stuff they talk about.  :(

I have picked up on a few things, like general ideas of what is good and what is bad. Like I am gathering that SSW are going to be hard to call going forward rest of winter and are messing up the models. But much of it I am all "deeerrrrr" while reading it. 

Uhhh...did the UNV ASOS just wonk out? It is most assuredly not 45.

it looks like the M is missing from the 07 degree C temperature reading in the metar code... 7C is 45F while M7 would be 19F

KUNV is actually an AWOS but there is not a significant difference from other ASOS in the area other than it only records temperature in Celsius and not Fahrenheit and is unable to identify precip types

The thing with clipper systems like it looks we will have one after another over the next few days is sometimes they can become quite a surprise.  The system this morning did produce reports in the 4-6" range for northern delaware/southern nj.  Even when the models do not show much qpf it is possible for the system to overperform based on what was modeled...

Advisories are up for all of NWS Pit's CWA for 4-6, with 6-10 amounts possible in their Laurel's county sections (Fayette/Westmoreland ridges). CTP has issued new advisories in Cambria/Somerset for 3-5 to match. I wouldn't be surprised if the western 1/3 of CTP's counties ended up in a lower end advisory as well. Those two Laurels counties might end up matching Pit's 4-6 range overall, with perhaps the extreme western portions and highest elevations maybe sneaking 6-8 here and there. I think from say west of a Lock Haven-Huntingdon-Breezewood line could see 2-5" (best amounts farther west), with the rest seeing more of a 1-3" snowfall.. where lightest amounts are in the lower Sus Valley below the Turnpike. This is likely one of those setups where snow gets eaten up some by the time it gets across the Laurels and central Ridge and Valley. Looks to be a fairly drawn out event, or perhaps even coming in two parts.. with snow beginning in the west tomorrow afternoon and lasting thru Sunday. 

I know lol, but when I say were getting an inch I get reprimanded and told 1 to 3. Its my bad though, I can be a bit much, so after this I am sticking to obs. for awhile.

Edit: Do I get a get out of jail free card...guy writing ctp afd called pattern repetitive, boring and dull. lol

What happened to your "taking a break" post you made last night? ;)

Dude, it's not just that. Not only are your posts constantly negative, the majority of them are not true. I mean, don't you notice that? For example, after that 6-9 storm in December when you said "back edge approaching this is over lol" and then the snow kept coming and coming - THREE TIMES you did that and it happened - didn't that make you think "hey, I'm looking kind of silly, maybe I should stop."? Meaning, after the first two times. Although I have to give you, you gave me one of the best laughs because it was like Mother Nature was loling at you along with us.

It's like you look for anything that can go wrong and honestly, it gets to the point where sometimes I think you are trolling. But all that said, I think you're a great guy, seriously....there are way worst posters here - like the guys in some subforums who are the opposite to negative to the point where they try to harangue other posters into upping their reported snow totals. And you are most certainly not mean-spirited, that's a plus and boy there's enough of that **** around this board.

Punxsutawney Phil predicts early spring.

Looks like a snowy and cold 24 hours coming up. Even if we only get a couple inches.

Edit: NWS forecast discussion made laugh.. OL PHIL WILL

PROBABLY HAVE FLAKES FALLING SHORTLY AFTER HE GETS DRAGGED OUT OF

THE KNOB. MOST IF NOT ALL PLACES IN CENTRAL PA WILL HAVE SNOWFALL

TODAY...WITH AT LEAST A DUSTING EVEN IN THE SRN TIER.

Punxsutawney Phil predicts early spring.

Looks like a snowy and cold 24 hours coming up. Even if we only get a couple inches.

Edit: NWS forecast discussion made laugh.. OL PHIL WILL

PROBABLY HAVE FLAKES FALLING SHORTLY AFTER HE GETS DRAGGED OUT OF

THE KNOB. MOST IF NOT ALL PLACES IN CENTRAL PA WILL HAVE SNOWFALL

TODAY...WITH AT LEAST A DUSTING EVEN IN THE SRN TIER.

That dumb varmint doesn't even know his own climo - 6 more weeks of winter from today IS an early spring.

Funny story, I was working at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for a part-time job while in college, and one of my jobs was clearing the photo wires. Back then, photos were sent over teletype and you would grab them, divide them up into the typical categories like sports/features/news/breaking etc.

Well, Feb 2 in the morning there were lots and lots of Gobbler Knob shots, and one of them caught my eye, along with one of the reporters there. It was from the AP and was a close up of Phil being held up for the world to see, more or less upside down, and let's just say that it was very very very VERY obvious that, well, Phil was more Phillette. Yeah, got us a girl groundhog.

About 10 minutes later, we got a kill message that read, not kidding: KILL PHOTO 34223 REASON PHOTO MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO SOME READERS AS IT LOOKS LIKE WE CAUGHT EVIDENCE THAT PHIL ISN'T A BOY GOPHER AND BESIDES FACT NO ONE NEEDS TO FEMALE GOPHER GENITALIA CLOSE UP WE SHOULD ALSO LET THIS BE PHILS LITTLE SECRET.

That one was on the bulletin board when my time there ended and likely still is.

Archived