Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Contest - February Snowfall at DCA-IAD-BWI

Bob Chill

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what is funny is that everyone thinks DCA numbers will be low but the guys who live out towards BWI have their numbers highest and those of us near IAD have our numbers highest...funny...and the one Richmond dude...has Richmond pretty high although not the highest

Thanks for the contest. One suggestion for you and any other contest starter: we have many faithful posters here who don't live in the metro areas. Why not include other areas like Martinsburg. I believe they report climatic data do they not?

Just to clear anything confusion. Boundaries are the ma sub forum as defined by the board: Covering all of MD, WV, DC, Northern/Central VA, Central/Southern DE.

The entire state of VA is included though. Not just n-c. 

Just to clear anything confusion. Boundaries are the ma sub forum as defined by the board: Covering all of MD, WV, DC, Northern/Central VA, Central/Southern DE.

The entire state of VA is included though. Not just n-c.

That's true Bob and it just underscores my point. We never include any areas other than the DC/Balt metro area. Occasionally we throw Richmobd a bone. Let's bring in some of the others.

Anyway, thanks for the contest. I'm gonna win.

That's true Bob and it just underscores my point. We never include any areas other than the DC/Balt metro area. Occasionally we throw Richmobd a bone. Let's bring in some of the others.

MRB doesn't report snowfall any more.  Niether does HGR, OKV or any of the airports in our region.  So there would be no way to officially verify.

They stopped after the 2000 season, which is a drag.

I thought you were talking about people and not locations. I read too fast. I see what you're saying but the majors are the best for the group as a whole. Even people living 100+ miles from any major should have a good handle on climo @ the majors. But not really the other way around. 

I think what is funny is that everyone thinks DCA numbers will be low but the guys who live out towards BWI have their numbers highest and those of us near IAD have our numbers highest...funny...and the one Richmond dude...has Richmond pretty high although not the highest

BWI is the anti-DCA. They over measure almost every event. IAD tends slightly low.

BWI is the anti-DCA. They over measure almost every event. IAD tends slightly low.

I don't necessarily agree with that

I almost always get a bit more than them, and believe they are even too conservative considering what I measured

last week, they really did have 2" and I was as shocked as anyone

in a matter of 1 mile it went from 1" to 2"; I've never seen such a diff in such a short distance in my neck of the woods

I don't necessarily agree with that

I almost always get a bit more than them, and believe they are even too conservative considering what I measured

last week, they really did have 2" and I was as shocked as anyone

in a matter of 1 mile it went from 1" to 2"; I've never seen such a diff in such a short distance in my neck of the woods

Maybe it's fixed for good now, but it was indisputable BWI was over-measuring snow totals... all the way back to who-knows-when. It resulted in embarrassing downward adjustment of storm totals, but LWX could only do that for one season.

Archived