Newest Member
    joxey
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you

rev, that was just luck, prob wont happen again.

as far as the monday nite deal, i'm actually looking fwd to it @ my locale in NE mass. I think the euro gives me a couple inches. dentrite mentioned .25 into ne mass so that would be one of the few 2-3 inch snow fall this year. I am definitely looking forward to it and i hope we can squeez out a tad more qpf.

NAM schooled Euro last event but I doubt it does back to back and belly to belly

NAM and SREFs wiped out everything else last time. 

Meanwhile the GEFS had 5 members with a low on the front in PA to varying degrees (does nothing for us)

3 members develop the clipper into anything we'd care about and that's primarily eastern/SE New England in those 3.

Kevin I can't say if we will get 50" of snow, I can only say the overall look is pretty good. If people want to cry about it, have at it. Nobody with any skill can say if we will get 5 or 50" of snow. Nobody. Yea there is a flag or two, but as Spock said....the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few....

Last half of Feb looks banging with plenty of S/W's though. I gave you guys my forecast through Feb.11 last Sunday. I will write a more indepth forecast and POP of the last 3 weeks on Monday or something. But it looks like Feb 11-13 will be another 5-10 degree warm up ahead of a S/W arriving the 14 or 15th with colder air behind it for Feb 15-17.

Strat. analogs are showing 4 storms in a week and a half period for the second half of Feb. I'm waiting for more GWO data though before I confirm and jump on the bandwagon for such an active pattern. Although this would jive with the thoughts of a snowy pattern for the Plains/upper MS valley and the NE still ending up with about normal snowfall while at the same time having above normal temps for the month....just plenty of opportunities to score while getting screwed on others.

Kevin I can't say if we will get 50" of snow, I can only say the overall look is pretty good. If people want to cry about it, have at it. Nobody with any skill can say if we will get 5 or 50" of snow. Nobody. Yea there is a flag or two, but as Spock said....the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few....

That is deeply disturbing

1) that you would post that

2) that you have it memorized

Well yeah it's not the Green Mountains but its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

ahh the greens...........ya no it's not even 1/4 of the greens snowfall but i digress.

i mean for se mass(raynham /taunton SE) and cape i think it is as bad as i make it out to be, but i mean that is an individual opinion, we have different measures for what makes a winter "solid". i wasn't saying we always get 15 inches of snow, but i'm just saying that climo wise it's not that snowy of an area on ave. I admit that is a broad statement and subject to individual perception . We cash in every now and again on a monster coastal, and also on like nice wintery patterns that may occur every few years, but it's meh for me, and not likely to produce in that area. I mean when i moved back from FL after 10 years i would have taken a winter like this year and cherished it. But being a snow lover, it is something i deal with until i move to a snowier place. it just really stating my opinion, and to an extent reality of the climo we live in, as wxniss said , sort of the gamblers mentality if your in bos as a snow lover. i mean ask rev what he thinks of cape winter or the prospect of a SE new england winter or will, they will be depressed if they had to spend winter there.

that being said i am def looking fwd to monday pm/eve event in NE mass. i think we could do decently. I was pretty excited for the potential of the norlun last week, and i wasn't devestated when that peter'd out.

ya kev that map was just pointing out boston screw zone pretty much.

Well yeah it's not the Green Mountains but its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

ahh the greens...........ya no it's not even 1/4 of the greens snowfall but i digress.

i mean for se mass(raynham /taunton SE) and cape i think it is as bad as i make it out to be, but i mean that is an individual opinion, we have different measures for what makes a winter "solid". i wasn't saying we always get 15 inches of snow, but i'm just saying that climo wise it's not that snowy of an area on ave. I admit that is a broad statement and subject to individual perception . We cash in every now and again on a monster coastal, and also on like nice wintery patterns that may occur every few years, but it's meh for me, and not likely to produce in that area. I mean when i moved back from FL after 10 years i would have taken a winter like this year and cherished it. But being a snow lover, it is something i deal with until i move to a snowier place. it just really stating my opinion, and to an extent reality of the climo we live in, as wxniss said , sort of the gamblers mentality if your in bos as a snow lover. i mean ask rev what he thinks of cape winter or the prospect of a SE new england winter or will, they will be depressed.

that being said i am def looking fwd to monday pm/eve event in NE mass. i think we could do decently. I was pretty excited for the potential of the norlun last week, and i wasn't devestated when that peter'd out.

Fair enough. My position is always the same: I like snow & cold a lot but more than that I like storms / weather. I'm actually looking forward to the cutter :lol:

Honesty Ryan et al....was there a need for mass suicides?

lol

i think were just sniffing out a pattern that will most likely be active with more coastal rain and adding that up with this years snow YTD , some pessimism is warranted. Nothing extreme. Nothing bridge jump worthy. Just a liklihood IMO of more of a crap pattern in E ma. w/ storm track more often than not going west. QV vectorman was pretty much hinting at this. It's not lock'd in but there's really nothing wrong with not sugar coating the future pattern, if i'm  wrong or off, i sincerely apologize. Im not trying to act jaded, i'm pretty unbiased and i just think the signs are there were setting up for bootleg pattern part 2 from mid feb on. With maybe a steeper than ave gradient for NW elevated new england. But that is just a loose guess.

no it isn't born out of the last year and a half only. i can think critically.

i grew up in se mass till i was 18 , i remember the winters, and the cape is worse. it's mostly meh and it's not that snowy of a place. every now and again we get a good winter but it's less than 50% in bos/ se mass / cape.

Yes 9" isn't a number the CP typically gets lol, but i mean 25-30 doesn't do it for me either. I mean i like snow, alot. I drive hundreds of miles to get to it. I want it. i'm just saying more times than not winters are meh on the coast.

BOS averages 43 long term. For major American cities that's snowy. We just happen to be in a. 2 year rut. The early 70s had at least one spectacular ratter. The 80s had several as did the 90s, 2000s and 2/3 so far of 2010s. But the mean snowfall for BOS suggests its snowy enough. It rivals MSP, bigger than ORD, similar to MKE and DTW. All relatively snowy places. Facts are simply facts.

BOS averages 43 long term. For major American cities that's snowy. We just happen to be in a. 2 year rut. The early 79s had at least one spectacular ratter. The 80s had several as did the 90s, 2000s and 2/3 so far of 2010s. But the mean snowfall for BOS suggests its snowy enough. It rivals MSP, bigger than ORD, similar to MKE and DTW. All relatively snowy places. Facts are simply facts.

Yes i would not argue that point. The point is i dont' care how snowy we are compard to dc, philly (those are not snowy places ) and on ave bos is not snowy enough or wintery enuf with enough consistency for me. I guess if i was resigned to living in bos forever i would develop some sort of positive outlook on the climo if it kill'd me but it's meh to me.   i mean look if it didn't rain in boston a number of times during the winter and snow pack lasted on ave much more that 43" ave would "seem" more snowy to me but it is what it is. when i look outside in winter i want to see snow on the ground. i wonder what boston average for days with greater than 1 inch on ground 

Geez it's not like the upcoming pattern looks to feature jorts weather. We are cold enough for snow just need to get the balls to bounce the right way.

I mean nothing has changed since a few days ago unless you thought the cutter was going to magically uncut.

Hope for a miracle after the frontal passage, a Hail Mary on the clipper or perhaps a wilt chamberlain performance from a redeveloper. This pattern is like golf, : We're on the final hole. We're about 455 yards away, we're gonna hit about a 2 iron I think.

yes i would not argue that point. the point is i dont' care how snowy we are compard to dc, philly. (those are not snowy places ) and on ave bos is not snowy enough or wintery enuf with enough consistency for me. i guess if i was resigned to living in bos forever i would develop some sort of positive outlook on the climo if it kill'd me but it's meh to me.

The most snowy areas won't get the population centers because snow would probably impact life too much. But metro west averages plenty of snow and thre are millions living there. Same for NYC NW and n burbs especially exurban areas. Too much snow makes a large city's business more difficult. I'd prefer more snow too but I like the fact that I can walk everywhere and Boston's a pretty nice city. If anything, when I retire I'll go warmer because my body's ability to tolerate a long winter will likely not be what it is today. I will have the ability to travel to snow and the time to do it. A 10 day session to the tug would work well.

Archived