SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming from you, I assume that question is rhetorical.

No talk of the Euro 10-15 day here...through day 10 zero snow to speak of aside of the overrunning event.  Same for the GFS.  Just seems like we're looking at the day 10 period every day, day after day for hope.

We have pros bookmarking the end of winter towards the 12 or 14th...tick tock.

No talk of the Euro 10-15 day here...through day 10 zero snow to speak of aside of the overrunning event.  Same for the GFS.  Just seems like we're looking at the day 10 period every day, day after day for hope.

We have pros bookmarking the end of winter towards the 12 or 14th...tick tock.

I miss your radar gifs from 2005 while storms were crushing you down there... those were fun times.

There seems to be a weaker gradient being modeled in the upcoming cold snap...I think this bodes well.

Agreed...Feb wavelengths start to shorten a bit too which should allow for a bit more buckling in the shortwaves rather than a more overbearing longwave gradient.

Still, we will be at the mercy of the individual shortwaves as we are right now. But a little more margin for error can't hurt.

Agreed...Feb wavelengths start to shorten a bit too which should allow for a bit more buckling in the shortwaves rather than a more overbearing longwave gradient.

Still, we will be at the mercy of the individual shortwaves as we are right now. But a little more margin for error can't hurt.

how many different ways can the same people post they have not had much snow this year? Hey its dry, no sh it.

Tip's 500mb height gradient fetish sees Miami drop below 582dm after about day 7.

23% below norm is considered "slight"?

at the of the season probably not...but in the middle of the season...I'd say yeah.  Snow doesn't pile up exactly like the long term average would imply.  You don't get 1/2" a day etc....so you'll end up a snowstorm that puts you above average...then a week or two later you're below average again.

23% below norm is considered "slight"?

Not over a full season, but when you are talking about partial seasons, then the percentage matters a lot less since the average is lower. They dont call a 12" season in DCA a disaster even though is like 20% below average because its only 3" of snow.

If you start to fall 12-16" behind climo, then it becomes more worrisome. On Dec 24th, i was about 9" below climo...by Dec 29th, I was about 8" over climo. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. If you fall 12" below climo but a monster storm is in the forecast a couple days out, then you probably don't care that much as you will be back right near climo after the storm...but if it continues to look bleak, then that is a different picture.

Personally, I'd wait another 10-15 days before starting to really worry if we will finish significantly below climo. It might be a bit sooner in some other areas as they got screwed earlier this winter.

Probably the best thing about this time of year is that if you forget to tightly roll up a bag of chips or cereal, they never get soggy or stale.  With a RH of 9% I could probably make beef jerky by just laying it on the counter.

I made Italian soupressatta (soupy) Tuesday, 38 sticks worth. We always make it around the driest coldest time of the year for evaporative max effect, typically curing time is 4-6 weeks with the first 3 days being the key days.

Decent screw zone here

Yeah you are prob -9 or -10 right now. The Nov 7 event really screwed you and you missed the brunt of 12/29

Pretty rare for my area to be more than 6" ahead of you at this point in the season...we aren't that far apart.

Archived