SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Gibbs ends it after Valentines day, but that seems a little early.

Weeklies look like they build a monster -NAO for middle February that lingers late into the month. Could provide us with prolonged life even as the PAC breaks down....assuming its accurate of course.

What happens if the MJO decides to poop the sheets?

It looks like it will be a substantial wave. I'm sure it will weaken a bit at some point or perhaps loop back towards the IO, but as far a what happens....we probably would go back to the base state of this winter which is lower heights out west. However I think this wave means business and should ead towards favorable phases for us. One thing about the MJO is that it's difficult to forecast. One should never be highly confident in a forecast based on the MJO.

It looks like it will be a substantial wave. I'm sure it will weaken a bit at some point or perhaps loop back towards the IO, but as far a what happens....we probably would go back to the base state of this winter which is lower heights out west. However I think this wave means business and should ead towards favorable phases for us. One thing about the MJO is that it's difficult to forecast. One should never be highly confident in a forecast based on the MJO.

Thanks CoastalWx. Always nice to get your expert input on one of those confounding teleconnector's. Let's get Feb to be Fab!

This is what I was referring to earlier, and why I am not concerned about the medium range models.  HM from the Philly thread this afternoon:

"Thanks for bringing this to the forefront because I gave a pretty stern warning about poor modeling within the day 3-10 range (I think beyond 10 speaks for itself, haha). Times of poor NWP have to do with battling regimes, sudden changes in global AAM and stratospheric/solar disturbances.

There is no denying the amazing shift in GLAAM with values approaching winters with strong El Nino conditions in place. The MJO signal is clearly getting muted on the RMMs by the h2 battle but it is clear that the MJO kicked its ass and is propagating east (just slower than what the consensus thought 2 weeks ago). The jet has extended and the remnant h2 westerly over the equatorial region got shifted toward the SH / S. America. 

There is also no denying a downwelling -u anomaly from the 10-30mb layer to the tropopause over the North Pole. This will reach the troposphere as we start February and it will likely lead to even more blocking than what's being modeled.

There is a stronger than normal chance for a significant snowfall Feb 5-10 (yes I know climo says snow is most likely then). The storm being modeled beforehand is certainly possible; but with the PV displacement forecasted then, it is quite possible the "shunt" scenario is the best one. However, with the arrival of the STJ Feb 2-5, we certainly could get rolling in the snow department sooner than I have been saying."

This is what I was referring to earlier, and why I am not concerned about the medium range models.  HM from the Philly thread this afternoon:

"Thanks for bringing this to the forefront because I gave a pretty stern warning about poor modeling within the day 3-10 range (I think beyond 10 speaks for itself, haha). Times of poor NWP have to do with battling regimes, sudden changes in global AAM and stratospheric/solar disturbances.

There is no denying the amazing shift in GLAAM with values approaching winters with strong El Nino conditions in place. The MJO signal is clearly getting muted on the RMMs by the h2 battle but it is clear that the MJO kicked its ass and is propagating east (just slower than what the consensus thought 2 weeks ago). The jet has extended and the remnant h2 westerly over the equatorial region got shifted toward the SH / S. America. 

There is also no denying a downwelling -u anomaly from the 10-30mb layer to the tropopause over the North Pole. This will reach the troposphere as we start February and it will likely lead to even more blocking than what's being modeled.

There is a stronger than normal chance for a significant snowfall Feb 5-10 (yes I know climo says snow is most likely then). The storm being modeled beforehand is certainly possible; but with the PV displacement forecasted then, it is quite possible the "shunt" scenario is the best one. However, with the arrival of the STJ Feb 2-5, we certainly could get rolling in the snow department sooner than I have been saying."

I would counter by asking what will end this drought? Bone dry now and predominantly dry for a year or more. Yes a reaction to prior wet but a major concern going into this winter. We have the cold, snows no where to be found thanks to squish squash my car needs a wash....never do the skies open up...

Conditions have been right for a good snow now and 2 big chances shat the bed. Sooner or later or missed opportunities?

I would counter by asking what will end this drought? Bone dry now and predominantly dry for a year or more. Yes a reaction to prior wet but a major concern going into this winter. We have the cold, snows no where to be found thanks to squish squash my car needs a wash....never do the skies open up...

Conditions have been right for a good snow now and 2 big chances shat the bed. Sooner or later or missed opportunities?

Do you ever remember a time Jerry when it was this bad in terms of snow here and really nobody anywhere in the US is cashing in?  Everyone is dry.   Weird.

1/31 may work out for western and northern New England and who knows maybe even closer to the coast. I think there's going to be the post frontal system. The 3rd/4th keeps popping up, let's hope that's legit.

There's also the prefrontal snow and ice too. Let's hope the euro continues to limit the torch.

There's also the prefrontal snow and ice too. Let's hope the euro continues to limit the torch.

See I don't get the fascination with the torch. If its warm for a day or so it's not really mtong snowpack and will have no effect on ice etc. I figure the further north the warmth gets the stronger the first system is and the more dynamic things may be after.

The op gfs since December...when it has those systems like on the 3rd......have questions on that one as the split has been equal to misses vs clipper type deals as it approaches.

I've liked the post frontal deal just figuring we need something dynamic to help shake this up and a system that's doing some strong n-s with the cold may be just what we need.

And yep on the pre frontal, now we really are going back to the 80s when a lot of our snow was warm fronts...the bill Hovey days

See I don't get the fascination with the torch. If its warm for a day or so it's not really mtong snowpack and will have no effect on ice etc. I figure the further north the warmth gets the stronger the first system is and the more dynamic things may be after.

The op gfs since December...when it has those systems like on the 3rd......have questions on that one as the split has been equal to misses vs clipper type deals as it approaches.

I've liked the post frontal deal just figuring we need something dynamic to help shake this up and a system that's doing some strong n-s with the cold may be just what we need.

And yep on the pre frontal, now we really are going back to the 80s when a lot of our snow was warm fronts...the bill Hovey days

I'd rather just have it be cold an not this stupid mild crap, but that's just me.

The post frontal deal may be something, many times they don't work out but if the gfs is right then there is enough energy coming around the backside for this. I'd like to see the ensembles an euro show this too.

I'd rather just have it be cold an not this stupid mild crap, but that's just me.

The post frontal deal may be something, many times they don't work out but if the gfs is right then there is enough energy coming around the backside for this. I'd like to see the ensembles an euro show this too.

Op gfs has often had the right general idea... Somehow. We've had plenty of vortmaxs zipping along through the various s/w troughs...just no ability to get them to congeal into a meaningful system. Hoping this big front can help... Or alternately were seeing the gfs shift towards a much more se solution and instead of a big frontal passage it's actually a lead and follow up system. Either would work. Random thoughts.

Archived