SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting at 41 degrees here in Asheville near the airport. Down from 46 just two hours ago. Anxiously awaiting whatever may come. Also, it's illegal to buy beer before 6AM here. Little did I know, I was just trying to get stocked up before the mad dash that's coming later in the day. Here's to hoping everyone gets pummeled! 

Just to track temps throughout the day today since they are so crucial latter this evening. Also I wanted a refernce point to look back on.  I would have loved to found this info in the old March 2009 eastern obs thread, may come in handy again one day.

At 7:00a.m. about 8-12 hours before the changeover is forecatsed in western NC

Sugar Mtn:

summit 38.1 (was46.1@midnight)

Base 40.6 (was46.7 @ midnight)

PTI(Greensboro) 48

Soil temps are in mid 40's in Triad and most of NW NC, while around low 50's Triangle down east.

Boy does the radar look downright discouraging, doesn't look like much of anything.  Half the precip is already passed and it's still 43 and rain even in Boone.  I'd love to be wrong but this is looking like a smaller and smaller event with this radar look.

Whoa, there!  Even in Boone, no changeover was to be expected until mid afternoon.  The deepest precip is still developing.  This storm will produce heavy precipitation this afternoon and evening.  Patience...

Boy does the radar look downright discouraging, doesn't look like much of anything.  Half the precip is already passed and it's still 43 and rain even in Boone.  I'd love to be wrong but this is looking like a smaller and smaller event with this radar look.

Check out the latest 12Z hi-res NAM simulated radar for this evening.  Tonight between 6 and 10 PM are still putting out a ton of precip over the whole of WNC.  No worries.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam4km/12zNAM4kmreflectivity_SE.html

Archived