joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17th-18th Winter Storm Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Def sounds like a lot of winners and a few losers. Congrats to all that are seeing snow. For those of us who aren't or didn't.......it's weather. :beer:

Yep, I've got a glass of Elijah Craig 12 year Single Batch I'm sipping on as the rain keeps pouring down, when I stop hearing it getting wind driven into the side of the house I'll know it's snowing.  Such a scientific way to record the weather don't you think? :P

Just a rain event in Shelby as back side of precip draws near. Maybe another hour or so of precip -- but temps stuck around 37 (just like the GFS said they would be EVERY SINGLE RUN in the past few days).

Three lessons (re)learned: 1) Cold chasing precip rarely works 2) The models are not oblivious to the effects of dynamic cooling -- if a powerhouse upper low is moving through and the models still don't show your location getting below freezing, they are probably right. 3) The RAP is a great tool within 12 hours of the event, if used properly -- two trends emerged this morning into this afternoon a) the 500 low tracked slightly farther north B) it weakened. Those two factors definitely affected the result of this storm.

Congrats to all who saw snow -- about to be 25 months and counting in Shelby.

Archived