Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muccilli all over it at BTV...

&& Near term /until 8 am Wednesday morning/... as of 632 PM EST Tuesday...continuing to see some upslope snow showers across the Green Mountains of Vermont and to a lesser extent over the Adirondacks of New York...as weak cold air advection on westerly flow interacts with the higher terrain and lingering low level moisture. Much like earlier today...the flow remains unblocked with Froude numbers between 1 and 2 for this evening and through the first half of tonight. This will continue to favor The Spine of the Green Mountains and just downstream from Waterbury to Stowe to Jay Peak and into portions of the Northeast Kingdom for the most concentrated areas of snow showers. Middle level moisture will be decreasing throughout the night so quantitative precipitation forecast and additional snowfall amounts should remain fairly light. After 06z or so...a vorticity maximum now located over the Great Lakes will press eastward into the area...possibly keeping lingering snow showers into the early morning hours...however moisture will be continuing to decrease. As westerly flow weakens and inversion develops at ridge-top height...the flow does become blocked (forecast Froude numbers 0.6-1.0) which would allow for any lingering snow showers to favor The Spine of the Green Mountains and the western slopes after 06z. However moisture will be severely limited so any accumulations will be very light. From 7pm to 7am an additional 1 to 2 inches of snow (locally 3 inches in the higher elevations)...is possible along The Spine of the Green Mountains and just east from Jay Peak to Stowe...and a dusting to 1 inch along the western slopes...Northeast Kingdom...and Adirondacks. No accumulations are expected elsewhere. Otherwise...a mostly cloudy night is anticipated with lows from the upper teens to the middle 20s. &&

Still snowing at spruce base as I enjoy a cigar. :)

Nice evening out there eh? Relatively mild but cold enough to snow and that's all that matters. Staying at Stowe Mountain Lodge I presume?

Yes yes

Amazing night for a walk. The groomers are the only light in the sky which is always good for my skiers who dream of first tracks in powder..

Waterbury event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.09” L.E.

Once temperatures came down yesterday evening, 0.7” of snow accumulated at our location through the overnight period.  It was just cloudy at observations time at the house this morning, although I did encounter a little snow still falling off to the east toward the center of Waterbury.

The snow totals continue to climb in the higher elevations, with Jay Peak reporting a foot and a half for the event.  I grabbed the latest ~48-72 hr/storm total snow accumulations reported by the Vermont ski areas, and the north to south listing is below; the focus continues to be the Northern Greens:

Jay Peak: 18”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 0”

Bromley: T”

Stratton: 0”