• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

BTV's updated maps...  I like the little bubble over Stowe/Morrisville area.  With almost 8" here and 9" so far in Morrisville, it makes sense.

I'm not sold on us getting all that much more tonight but who knows.  I think we may be just too far north.  At least we lucked out today with a solid snowy day.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.5" new since I left home this morning, 6.5" total so far. Different consistency than the fluff this morning. Flakes are smaller but it's still easy to move around. Coming down nicely. Earlier this week I told Ctsnowstorm that I would be happy with 6" and ecstatic with 8". Looks like I will be ecstatic :)

Nice accums here in NEK Vermont - prob up to 10" too lazy to go out and measure with fire going and Switchback Ale in hand

Well i just measured a rough 1 1/2 to 2 inches new since about 3 ish which would put us at 8.5 to 9 here in the village.

Finally a real "snowfall" haha.  It looks really nice around these parts tonight.  This snow fell with pretty much no wind at all and is stacking up nicely on every little branch and tree.

Sounds like some blocked flow on the eastern slopes with a SE wind. Wind was ripping down here on the western slopes all day with less accumulation than you on the other side.

Sounds like some blocked flow on the eastern slopes with a SE wind. Wind was ripping down here on the western slopes all day with less accumulation than you on the other side.

I always remember getting a little screwed in SE flow events in Jonesville. The trade off was occasionally really big wind. There was a huge tree that went down right by RT 2 on that property I rented (right next to the apartments) during one of those SE flow events. I actually enjoyed it a bit because high wind events can be pretty exciting, and will make up for less snow, haha.

I am at around 1450' on my farm what are you at KlW? I am guardedly optimistic we get another 6"+ tonight.

1288'- give or take.

The wind has picked up and the snow is blowing around but snow growth right now is poor but snow is consistent.

Mansfield stake went up 11" (from 44" to 55") in the last 24 hours and that sounds closer to

reality than the 8.0" of snow that found its way into their rain gauge.

Ratios felt about 15:1 to 20:1. Fluffy but not uber-fluff like upslope (30-40:1). You

could tell there was some liquid in that.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

649 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2013

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.67 11 -12 10 LIGHT SNOW 8.0 55

Mmmmmmmm Switchback. I believe that is now VT's unofficial-official beer overtaking Magic Hat. A few of those will set you straight.

Magic hat as VT's unofficial beer? never, i'd say.  Switchback is a go-to.  Long Trail is a classic, but nowadays, Alchemist and Hillstead Farm are pretty much the go-to's.  as well as a Warren-area beer that begins with an "L" - can't remember the exact name. 

coming from a beer snob.

I am at around 1450' on my farm what are you at KlW? I am guardedly optimistic we get another 6"+ tonight.

Well you get that lake enhancement coming off of Ewell Pond. :snowing:

I hope that I am wrong but it looks like with the ocean low moving up that the wind direction is shifting to shadow up a bit.  The stuff off to the west will dry up before coming our way.  I am assuming only a couple of more inches that will be so wind blown that I will have no chance at getting a great measurement come morning. 

Hope I am wrong though

I hope that I am wrong but it looks like with the ocean low moving up that the wind direction is shifting to shadow up a bit.  The stuff off to the west will dry up before coming our way.  I am assuming only a couple of more inches that will be so wind blown that I will have no chance at getting a great measurement come morning. 

Hope I am wrong though

Agreed. The coastal isn't making any more progress north at this longitude on radar and as you said, the leftovers from the primary are drying up pretty much where they are.

Looks like another 1.5" since I measured my 6.5" earlier, so I'm guessing about 8" here. Unless I get caught in a rogue band overnight I'd be surprised at even another inch. The disclaimer being I'm no met...lol

Magic hat as VT's unofficial beer? never, i'd say. Switchback is a go-to. Long Trail is a classic, but nowadays, Alchemist and Hillstead Farm are pretty much the go-to's. as well as a Warren-area beer that begins with an "L" - can't remember the exact name.

coming from a beer snob.

Back in the day before they were bought out, Magic Hat was like the Ben and Jerry's of beer in VT, local company with some success. Admittedly, I'm not much of a beer snob, I just remember when everyone seemed to be drinking No. 9. Switchback seems to be the go to now.

7" down so far here lads, as well as several Long Trails.  ;)

Been out plowing--it peels up from the icy underlayment nicely and still coming down at a healthy clip.  Haven't gotten shadowed yet.  It has to come NNE for that to happen here.

Switchback?  Too much sugar I say.  Only three will give me a headache the next morning.  :arrowhead:

Magic hat as VT's unofficial beer? never, i'd say.  Switchback is a go-to.  Long Trail is a classic, but nowadays, Alchemist and Hillstead Farm are pretty much the go-to's.  as well as a Warren-area beer that begins with an "L" - can't remember the exact name. 

coming from a beer snob.

Lawson's. Ill be having 2 of the kiwi ipa's (8.5% alc) with dinner after tomorrows ski day.

Snow growth is meh. Tiny crystals. 2-3" since 5 pm.

Event totals: 10.6” Snow/0.57” L.E.

It was really beautiful when I was leaving Burlington this evening.  The flag in front of Fletcher Allen was just sitting there limp in the dead calm while big flakes were pouring down.  The accumulation seemed quite substantial, and I see that the BTV NWS office came in with 8.8” as of 8:00 P.M.  Here at the house I drove up the driveway through what felt like a foot of snow – and indeed it was close.  I’ve got the intermediate snowfall, liquid, and snow density data for the storm below, which displays the interesting trend:

Snow Start – 6:00 A.M.:  1.9” Snow/0.09” L.E./Ratio 21.1/4.7% H2O

6:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.:  6.1” Snow/0.25” L.E./Ratio 24.4/4.1% H2O

1:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.:  2.6” Snow/0.23” L.E./Ratio 11.3/8.8% H2O

It’s immediately obvious when one sees that the 2.6” in the afternoon contained almost as much snow as the 6.1” from this morning, so the density went way up.  Something must have changed in the atmosphere at that point.  Unfortunately in terms of snow quality, that makes this an upside down event, but I don’t think folks will complain too much when they’re gliding through it on the slopes.  The radar shows a neat picture of the snow departing to the west and building in from the east:

08FEB13A.gif

It will be interesting to see how much additional snow builds into the area tonight; the point forecast still calls for some additional inches, but it will depend on how long the storm hangs around before pulling east.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.23 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.3

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 22.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

Well you get that lake enhancement coming off of Ewell Pond. :snowing:

I hope that I am wrong but it looks like with the ocean low moving up that the wind direction is shifting to shadow up a bit. The stuff off to the west will dry up before coming our way. I am assuming only a couple of more inches that will be so wind blown that I will have no chance at getting a great measurement come morning.

Hope I am wrong though

Yes you know it. Good call I think you may correct. Great day though for us. I'm happy.

I’ve added the latest advisories and snow total forecast maps below.  Winter Storm Warnings now cover everywhere but the NEK.  The current snow forecast map is quite a patchwork similar to the one PF posted above.  This area is in that 10-14” coloring, which seems to jive pretty nicely with my observations since we’ve had close to 11” so far.

08FEB13D.jpg

08FEB13E.jpg

Event totals: 12.5” Snow/0.68” L.E.

Indeed we did get a couple more inches overnight as the forecast suggested, pushing this event past the one foot mark and dropping us nicely in that 10-14” range that the BTV NWS had on their latest projected accumulations map.  The snow had dried out a bit as well, back down below 6% H2O.  This is likely due to the fact that the snowfall hasn’t been comprised of just those tiny grains, but some flakes up to 4 mm in diameter are in the mix now, and they’ve been able to contribute some loft.  Below I’ve updated my snow data for the various periods of collection during this event:

Snow Start – 6:00 A.M.:  1.9” Snow/0.09” L.E./Ratio 21.1/4.7% H2O

6:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.:  6.1” Snow/0.25” L.E./Ratio 24.4/4.1% H2O

1:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.:  2.6” Snow/0.23” L.E./Ratio 11.3/8.8% H2O

8:00 P.M. – 6:00 A.M.:  1.9” Snow/0.11” L.E./Ratio 17.3/5.8% H2O

There is another tenth of an inch of snow on the board now, but I can see from the radar that the snow is clearing out so it’s probably just about done here.

The next storm coming through appears to have the TWC name “Orko” – watching the models and forecasts over the past couple of days, it seems like we’re sort of flirting with the rain snow line up here, but it sure seems like there some snow potential with it – and this time it really looks like there could be some upslope snow on the back side.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.3

Snow Density: 5.8% H2O

Temperature: 12.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Archived