Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

57F in Stowe Village and 53F at base of ski resort.

55/51 here on RT 108 (Mountain Rd) between the two.

I was in Morrisville yesterday afternoon, and driving back toward Waterbury I saw temperatures in the low to mid 40s F range on the car thermometer.  As I headed westward back in the direction of the house, I figured that the temperature would rise, since we’re generally a little more prone to warmth moving in from the Champlain Valley than places that are farther east of the spine.  The temperature actually dropped as I headed west though, and it was around 40 F at the house.

When I saw your post above yesterday evening, it seemed like it was just a matter of time before temperatures would jump up into the 50s F around our place, since temperatures had risen both west and east of the spine.  I guess we were sheltered from that though, because the temperature just hung around 40 F all night and it was at 41.4 F this morning at observations time.  During Roger Hill’s morning broadcast, he had the DJ check on the temperature at the WDEV studio in the center of Waterbury as he often does, and that came in at 39 F, so it was actually even colder there than what we had at the house.

In terms of the snowpack at our location, it was down about an inch this morning from where it stood before the latest snowstorm the other day.  Not surprisingly, that recent fluffy snow melted pretty quickly, but the base layer is much denser so it’s much more resistant to the warmth and rain.

Roger Hill made mention of multiple chances for accumulating snow showers all the way out through the beginning of next week, so that will be helpful in reinvigorating the snow pack, and eventually softening up the ski surfaces.  Our graphical point forecast is a lot wintrier looking now without the showers/rain icons sitting in there the way they’ve been the past few days:

31JAN13A.jpg

Got up to 46 sometime overnight for our max and cooling some now I suppose as it's dropped back to 43.

0.72" finally came--also overnight.

And yet, 7" survives at the stake and the fields across the way look still white in the early morning gloom.

Fugly though, no getting around that.

Yeah, I bounced around 46° - 49° all night.  There is snow remaining in my immediate area but as soon as you see the exposed hillside fields it's bare.  As you say, fugly. 

Up near 50 this morning, avg low for 1/31 is 3F.  8" glacier survivies, though I'm guessing it loses about 2" more today.  Major backpuff from the woodstove set off the smoke alarm in the loft this morning, just as I was finishing toweling off after shower.  Opened up the vent to get the fire hot so it would warm the chimney enough to avoid the smoke, but before it could, another gust drove more smoke into the LR and even the flames came 2" out the vent for a couple seconds.  Usual strong winds at my place blow crosswise to the long axis of the house, and backpuffs are rare and minor.  This morning they're hitting the southwest gable end and getting swirled enough to drive down the chimney on the northeast end.  At least it was warm enough so that opening the window to get rid of smoke didn't exhaust much heat.  Overnight precip 0.30", total since pre-dawn yest 0.53", and radar suggests less than another 1/4", so flooding shouldn't be an issue, unless the ice gets shifted on the Sandy.

Total bare ground (except for puddles) in AUG, and winds probably 10 mph stronger than at home (g50 vs 40).  I expect the strongest winds for the foothills after fropa.

Mansfield just went from 43F to 33F in 15 minutes and wind changed from SW to WNW.

Now down to 30F with snow at the summit.

Yeah, I’m not sure exactly when it started, but snow has been crashing out along the spine for probably the past hour as viewed from here at UVM.  We even had a quick, heavy bout of frozen precipitation (looked like sleet) down here in Burlington, so cold air has certainly moved into the area.  The colored Intellicast Radar is showing the changeover along the spine of the Greens:

31JAN13B.gif

Getting chunky wet snow in Stowe Village now...brief snow shower moving through and I've got 37F at home.  These are the first flakes I've seen at this elevation.  About to go see what the damage is up at the mountain.

Bare ground under all my big everygreens but the open lawn and field out back has 3-5" of snow left.  Looks lovely with standing water on top of the snow in spots.  If I had to go with a number for snow on the level, open areas its around 4".  Looks like that was exactly what the Stowe Village CoCoRAHS observer reported, too.

This is the current snow depth for Washington County but it shows Stowe Village (4" in southern Lamoille) and its pretty cool to see the west-east gradient after an event like this.  Champlain Valley and West Slopes (it looks bare even up at 1,500ft on the west slopes) have little to no snow left... then you get to the Spine and immediate east side where its more like 1-5"...but as you continue to move east away into the cold air damming, snow depth increases again to 5"<. 

Looks like we have a change-over through the ADK and now along the spine.

Wonder how much we can get. WRF is spitting out 2-4 thru the day. That's prob. about right.  At this point I'll take anything that makes it look like winter at least.

Of course the next clipper is going to redevelop to our s/e and leave us high and generally dry.

Oh well. Guess that's the trend for this winter.

Looks like we have a change-over through the ADK and now along the spine.

Wonder how much we can get. WRF is spitting out 2-4 thru the day. That's prob. about right. At this point I'll take anything that makes it look like winter at least.

Of course the next clipper is going to redevelop to our s/e and leave us high and generally dry.

2-4" ain't happening today...only a 1/4" right now at 3,000ft and occasional flurries of awful snow growth. It's more pellet or snow grains than anything.

Yup. Whiff, runner, whiff, whiff, runner, etc.etc.

Still time for a change; my snow season splits almost evenly 1/31-2/1, avg is 43-44" each side of the line. (Of course, 05-06 had only 15% of its meager snow after 1/31, while the next year it was 80% for 2/1 onward, aided by April's record snowfall.)

any remaining snow on the ground in Plymouth?

Yeah...it varies a lot, most of the campus is bare but houses still have a general 3-5" in their yards....protected areas that had close to 1' before still have plenty of snow. It looks like March out there though, hopefully the Sunday storm works out.

Down to 39.0F.

Archived