Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Your Top 10 Things you hate the most about weather

dmc76

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it was being caught off guard...but I would have killed for #5 yesterday. Roads were a disaster as road crews here did not salt until an inch of powder was already on the very cold pavement. Very hazardous on streets with high traffic volume.

But then as said, other times you will get like 0.1" of snow and you cant tell if its the dusting of snow or the salt on the road.

I noticed yesterday wherever they put salt down it only made things worse.  It was so cold that the untreated roads actually had reasonable traction if you didn't drive like an idiot.  Wherever they put the damn salt down it only half-melted the snow and was a slippery mess.  When it's this cold screw the salt. Sand is better.

I noticed yesterday wherever they put salt down it only made things worse. It was so cold that the untreated roads actually had reasonable traction if you didn't drive like an idiot. Wherever they put the damn salt down it only half-melted the snow and was a slippery mess. When it's this cold screw the salt. Sand is better.

Indeed. Sand was all they used where I lived in Canada. We lived in a frigid snowbelt, and not once did we have issues going off the road. A nice thin layer of sand on top of the snow is easy to drive on. It was like driving on a smooth dirt road. It filled in all the pot holes.

Now in PA, all they use is that stupid big rock salt. Any time you tried going up one of the many hills your tires just spin and shoot salt daggers all over the place.

Indeed. Sand was all they used where I lived in Canada. We lived in a frigid snowbelt, and not once did we have issues going off the road. A nice thin layer of sand on top of the snow is easy to drive on. It was like driving on a smooth dirt road. It filled in all the pot holes.

Now in PA, all they use is that stupid big rock salt. Any time you tried going up one of the many hills your tires just spin and shoot salt daggers all over the place.

A problem I notice around where I live is all the U-turns in place of turning left at an actual stop light.  When there's a lot of traffic it's hard to pull out and get up to speed quick enough without spinning your tires.  The more people spin their tires trying to get out quickly the more slippery it becomes.  Eventually someone will try to pull out without enough time, can't get any speed, and gets rear-ended by the person behind who locks their brakes on the same slippery patch.  I wish they would just make it legal to turn left at the light when it's snowy. 

A problem I notice around where I live is all the U-turns in place of turning left at an actual stop light.  When there's a lot of traffic it's hard to pull out and get up to speed quick enough without spinning your tires.  The more people spin their tires trying to get out quickly the more slippery it becomes.  Eventually someone will try to pull out without enough time, can't get any speed, and gets rear-ended by the person behind who locks their brakes on the same slippery patch.  I wish they would just make it legal to turn left at the light when it's snowy. 

Oh, yeah...the good ol' Michigan turn-around. I kind of find them similar to the traffic circles, in that they are supposed to help with traffic flow, but they just confuse drivers because people don't understand them and when to go.

Traffic roundabouts are going up all the area now. There used to only a couple 5 years ago, now there's at least a dozen within 10 miles of here! The few times it was slippery enough last winter, I noticed people fish tailing as they started to steer around them. I think the circles work fine if they're big enough. Get a semi going through a small circle when it's snowing out... :yikes: you might end up having to stop anyways until he can maneuver through! 

Traffic roundabouts are going up all the area now. There used to only a couple 5 years ago, now there's at least a dozen within 10 miles of here! The few times it was slippery enough last winter, I noticed people fish tailing as they started to steer around them. I think the circles work fine if they're big enough. Get a semi going through a small circle when it's snowing out... :yikes: you might end up having to stop anyways until he can maneuver through! 

Yeah, apparently they like them in snowy areas, as New England is infamous for them. When we were in Maine, it was like every intersection after another. They are starting to install them in this area too. My wife and I don't like them, but stats show they reduce the amount of fatal crashes.

Yeah, apparently they like them in snowy areas, as New England is infamous for them. When we were in Maine, it was like every intersection after another. They are starting to install them in this area too. My wife and I don't like them, but stats show they reduce the amount of fatal crashes.

Funny enough, I just read a study about traffic circles (REAL slow day at the office) showing that although the number of fatal crashes is reduced, property damage from these crashes are significantly higher. This study attributed this to an increased average speed of all vehicles within the circle and as such property damage to vehicles and nearby dwellings is increased. Additionally, so are multi-vehicle (3 or more) accidents. Its a product of having more cars in a single intersection at one time, and peoples general confusion as to how traffic moves through a traffic circle. I spent some time in DC working Sandy, and can certainly understand the confusion factor. That city is full of circles as no roads come together in a normal fasion. Talk about confusion when you are in a circle 6 lanes accross and lanes start peeling off as exit only...

I would link the study, however it is from an internal website and the company frowns on that...

1. Hot and dry. 

2. Snowstorms that miss

3. Thunderstorms that fizzle out before reaching MBY

4. Steel gray cloudy skies, with 35 degree temps, and no snow on the ground.

5. Severe storm forecast busts

6. Winter storm forecast busts.

7. Temps above 88 degrees.

8. Humidity

9. Cloudy nights during a decent meteor shower, or some other astronomical/celestial event....

10. Heat, humidity, and sticky summer nights.

Archived