• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

No kidding. My concern is that this will be a longitude storm. I don't mind it coming near the Cape, but if it moves wnw and stalls like the op run has, then I likely flip to a cold rain with those ne winds. We'll see, I had a feeling this could happen, but sometimes they tick east during the final 72 hours. The euro took a massive leap west over the last day.

:gun_bandana::lol:

does the mean still have that tight packing of isobars on the NW side of the low like it has had the last few days?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes no sense. it would only make sense if guidance had consistently shown a weak storm. there's been signals on every piece of output of a major low off the east coast. it's just been placement that's been in question. the ec OTS runs were still massive bombs.

what? you're kidding right? "No sense" eh, no here's how it works:

If data "assimilation" (look that up) is sending bad imputs, it will change the outcome of the storm handling down stream. Continuity becomes an issue in both position and intensity, and the variations suffered recently perfectly exemplifies that.

There's no debate.

Slightly OT, but you have to wonder if the NFL will take a hard look at re-scheduling the Sunday night Pats-Packers game if it appears by this time tomorrow that an epic storm is imminent. Normally I wouldn't have thought of it, but in the wake of the recent Giants-Vikings snowstorm-related travel debacle I could see the ever-image-conscious league erring on the side of caution so people don't get stranded. At least there's no inflatable dome to worry about. I personally LOVE snow games and think it would be great TV (if not in person), so I hope they end up playing in a MECS. (Of course, Belichick's Pats are 10-0 in snow games....)

As a Pats season ticket holder who lives in Eastern CT, I'm THRILLED I sold this game a few weeks ago!

Will - still wanna be on the Cape or Boston for this? Looking pretty good there in ORH. Good times dead ahead.

No, I think I'll stay right where I am, lol. I wanted to be in Boston yesterday, but now I'll stay here. A track near Block Island or near the benchmark will hammer my region regardless...but Boston would have some issues at some point with a Block Island track.

No, I think I'll stay right where I am, lol. I wanted to be in Boston yesterday, but now I'll stay here. A track near Block Island or near the benchmark will hammer my region regardless...but Boston would have some issues at some point with a Block Island track.

I'm incredibly pumped.This 24 hour turn around is amazing.

Wouldn't surprise me.

you dont want to be in chelmsford? really? hm. interesting

what? you're kidding right? "No sense" eh, no here's how it works:

If data "assimilation" (look that up) is sending bad imputs, it will change the outcome of the storm handling down stream. Continuity becomes an issue in both position and intensity, and the variations suffered recently perfectly exemplifies that.

There's no debate.

i'm not kidding at all. think about what you are saying. so then the GFS was just "lucky" for days on end when it had a low wrapping up underneath ACK? when the ukie had the bomb coming in toward BOS, it was just chance? no...they had the pattern close to right.

i'm not saying raobs (and thank you, i know the terminology) don't matter - i've said that repeatedly...but it's an overplayed card. if you don't trust me without my tag yet, that's fine. ask around, there are others who have said the same.

:gun_bandana::lol:

does the mean still have that tight packing of isobars on the NW side of the low like it has had the last few days?

It does, but it has a pretty decent center...not like a 200 miles wide 990mb isobar or anything. It actually has a little spread to the east at hr 96, but looks like pretty good agreement there.

i'm not kidding at all. think about what you are saying. so then the GFS was just "lucky" for days on end when it had a low wrapping up underneath ACK? when the ukie had the bomb coming in toward BOS, it was just chance? no...they had the pattern close to right.

i'm not saying raobs (and thank you, i know the terminology) don't matter - i've said that repeatedly...but it's an overplayed card. if you don't trust me without my tag yet, that's fine. ask around, there are others who have said the same.

Yeah...I don't think the issue is as bad as it used to be with all of the satellite data infused into the models now. It would be interesting to run a model w/ and w/o the RAOBs on the same run to see the differences.

Well given the rest of the guidance and ensembles from various models...I wouldn't be shocked if the Euro over trended a bit. We've certainly seen it do that before.

But I think you are looking fairly good at the moment. The Euro ens mean is a HECS for most of the eastern 2/3rds of New England.

Yeah I can't complain too much. It's just a concern I have. I'd take the ensembles in a heartbeat.

Archived