• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Climate Change Banter

Jonger

Whatevz bro, you have no idea what is transpiring here and the deepness of the ignorance that persists in society. At least an effort was made.

Many of us understand whats going on with the climate nobody is ignoring it but lets not act like there aren't some things that still need to be debated etc.  That said you should try not to make false statements based on emotions as we try to keep this a fact based forum.

Many of us understand whats going on with the climate nobody is ignoring it but lets not act like there aren't some things that still need to be debated etc.  That said you should try not to make false statements based on emotions as we try to keep this a fact based forum.

They were not meant to be taken verbatim as fact. I was just discussing variables that could be possible and more relevant as we move forward. At the end of the day, we are emotional beings but I prefer to use logic to navigate the world and this forum.

I think you came to the wrong conclusions here, simply because ORH is a respectable person and moderator/meterologist here. 100% of my thoughts should not be rendered invalidated just because he disagrees.

TCs require very specific conditions to develop.  Warm SSTs, high TPW column, and low wind shear.  Any one of these three get messed with, it makes a big difference.  We have seen in the last two years in the Atlantic, a lot of dry air really negate things.

This doesn't always mean there are very low numbers of named storms, but the intense ones are much less likely.  So a warmer globe would lead to warmest SSTs, but that does not mean TPW and wind shear will become more favorable.  Either one of these becoming less favorable and your frequency of intense TCs decreases.  Yes, warmer SSTs would lead to some TCs to get more intense as other conditions by default are going to be favorable some of the time, but what is it in the end long term?  Just b/c you get more intense TCs once in awhile, if the overall frequency of intense TCs decreases, then net-net, it is the same overall.  The very presence of more intense TCs in a warmer global once in awhile is not cause for alarm.  We as a society can handle them, for better or worse.  Damage would be higher for individual TCs that do get very intense, but if the overall frequency of intense TCs decreases, again, it balances out more or less.

I have found too often there is focus on a single aspect of effects of a warmer globe, and that is on the negative.  That is

something we surely should take note of, but equally important are the positive and neutral effects, and these need to be taken

into account.  Otherwise, the cost/benefit ratio of the actions we take become very inefficient.

They were not meant to be taken verbatim as fact. I was just discussing variables that could be possible and more relevant as we move forward. At the end of the day, we are emotional beings but I prefer to use logic to navigate the world and this forum.

I think you came to the wrong conclusions here, simply because ORH is a respectable person and moderator/meterologist here. 100% of my thoughts should not be rendered invalidated just because he disagrees.

Well considering how long ORH has been around these forums i would take his thoughts pertaining to climate change over anyone else in this forum since he is well informed and knowledged in the scientific literature.

Compelling information about manipulation of temperature values.

Chicago to Boston historic snows which means that's global warming and if they were having a snow drought it would be global warming.

Speaking on THIS BOLDED POINT and THIS POINT...ONLY...not talking about, denying or agreeing with ANYTHING else.....not global temps, not local temps, not anything...(lol need to have a disclaimer before you post anything in this thread).

With but a few stinkers, we have been on an unprecedented run of snowy winters here in the southern Great Lakes (and the northeast as well) since the turn of this century. Its one thing to have a great year or two, but its a stretch unmatched in the local climate record, average is no longer "average". And I have heard numerous sources attribute it to AGW with numerous explanations as to why. And I have never before seen as many cold snowstorms as we have had recently (so none of this, ohhh its just cold enough to snow, so more moisture). Well in the 1990s and early 2000s I cant tell you how many stories I read state that local effects of AGW in this region would mean snowmobiling and winter recreation would become extinct, kids will grow up in the northern US and not know what winter is blah blah blah. My absolute FAVORITE, and yes Ive brought it up before, was from the late 1990s that by 2020 winters in MI would resemble 1990s KY. :lmao:

It's predominantly UHI. You're talking about an ~ 1.5F shift in the observed temperature baseline due to climate change over the measurement period. That's not nearly enough to account for the observed disparities.

There is no way to quantify that. The gloabl mean is held down by ocean regions. Land temperatures have always ran warmer. About 3.5-4F over the conus since 1960.

high-low-temps-figure3-2014.png

Speaking on THIS BOLDED POINT and THIS POINT...ONLY...not talking about, denying or agreeing with ANYTHING else.....not global temps, not local temps, not anything...(lol need to have a disclaimer before you post anything in this thread).

With but a few stinkers, we have been on an unprecedented run of snowy winters here in the southern Great Lakes (and the northeast as well) since the turn of this century. Its one thing to have a great year or two, but its a stretch unmatched in the local climate record, average is no longer "average". And I have heard numerous sources attribute it to AGW with numerous explanations as to why. And I have never before seen as many cold snowstorms as we have had recently (so none of this, ohhh its just cold enough to snow, so more moisture). Well in the 1990s and early 2000s I cant tell you how many stories I read state that local effects of AGW in this region would mean snowmobiling and winter recreation would become extinct, kids will grow up in the northern US and not know what winter is blah blah blah. My absolute FAVORITE, and yes Ive brought it up before, was from the late 1990s that by 2020 winters in MI would resemble 1990s KY. :lmao:

the bigger the weenie the more likely to be a denier

http://paulgilding.com/2015/02/23/the-year-the-dam-of-denial-breaks-ready-for-the-flood/

This is the year the “dam of denial” will break and the momentum for climate action will become an unstoppable flood. It will be messy, confusing and endlessly debated but with historical hindsight, 2015 will be the year. The year the world turned, primarily because the market woke up to the economic threat posed by climate change and the economic opportunity in the inevitable decline of fossil fuels. That shift will in turn unlock government policy and public opinion because the previous resistance to action argued on economic grounds, will reverse to favour action on economic grounds.

Before I argue for this conclusion, let me explain what I mean by the “dam of denial” and why the concept is so important to understanding what’s underway.

Anyone who “gets” the urgency of the climate issue and the scale of economic transformation it necessitates, is bewildered by those who don’t. How can so many otherwise intelligent and logical people – such as company executives, politicians and investment managers – not see the obvious urgency or the equally obvious economic risk? It is so illogical it can only be seen as denial.

This is not climate denial but an example of “implicatory denial”, the rather bizarre ability of humans to accept a risk but then stop processing the implications, just because those implications are so overwhelming. It is well covered in a study by Kari Marie Norgaard, described in her book “Living in Denial”.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2965385/Are-Siberia-s-mysterious-craters-caused-climate-change-Scientists-four-new-enormous-holes-northern-Russia.html

Four new mysterious giant craters have appeared in the Siberian permafrost in northern Russia, sparking fears that global warming may be causing gas to erupt from underground.

Scientists spotted the new holes, along with dozens of other smaller ones, in the same area as three other enormous craters that were spotted on the Yamal Peninsula last year.

The craters are thought to be caused by eruptions of methane gas from the permafrost as rising rising temperatures causes the frozen soil to melt.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2965385/Are-Siberia-s-mysterious-craters-caused-climate-change-Scientists-four-new-enormous-holes-northern-Russia.html#ixzz3Sba1h0t8 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"ISIS are tunnelling through to Russia from Libya, using the Big Bertha Tunnelling Machine that they found lying around in the desert. They had some Birmingham curry house waiters and some Bradford schoolgirls trained up to use it in a matter of weeks. The reason nobody has found them is that they're now tunnelling their way to Blackpool for a day out and when they get there they'll realise that "the pits" isn't what they've just come out of. Apparently, the cab of Bertha had to be modified to accommodate the 7' 6" warriors who had a right sulk when told they weren't going to the Pleasure Beach. DM, please. If you can't supply me with the propaganda I need, I'll go to Sky News."

:axe: 

Wow. What were you saying about college education earlier? Pretty darn ironic.

Most of what I post here is based on the peer reviewed literature. Climate science is mostly theory and hypothetical logic to begin with, so your argument makes no sense to me.

ORH is one of the most level-headed posters here, btw. Lumping him in with Weatherguy is lol worthy.

Just calm down with the personal attacks mang. Bacon is merely a concerned citizen.

nflwxman, on 24 Feb 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:snapback.png

Right.  I guess that was why I was suggesting we have a separate thread for the borderline sci-fi stuff, so it stays out of this thread which has a lot of factual data and little unsupported speculation.

Stated many times that it is a low probability event but we are screwed if it ever happens thus it is worth mentioning. Why people like Sam Carana are suggesting we use alpha waves and stuff to break up the methane gas in the atmosphere.

When I look at the Arctic all I see is chaos, who would of thought 2012 or 2013 would of ever happened? There has infact been a small uptick in methane release from the Arctic, hard to deny that and now we have more methane craters in Russia.

Several decades until the **** hits the fan? Seems kind of generous. It doesn't need to be in the Arctic tho, there are many other things that could go wrong.

the bigger the weenie the more likely to be a denier

The bigger the troll the more they look to start sh*t in a forum that apparently gets quite tense.

I rarely get into the subject because of how hardcore and nasty some of the "deniers" and "alarmists" are. I just love to point out ridiculous predictions about a certain region when they already fall by the wayside. People would take climate change more seriously if those ridiculous statememts werent made.

But whatever. Ive never been more happy with my climate than as it is right now. So I guess if that makes me a denier sobeit

Global warming 'hiatus' puts climate change scientists on the spot
Theories as to why Earth's average surface temperature hasn't risen in recent years include an idea that the Pacific Ocean goes through decades-long cycles of absorbing heat.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-global-warming-hiatus-20150226-story.html

What happened to Tacoman?  Haven't seen him around here in a while.  

This:

Gisstemp:

Sept: .81

Oct: .78

Nov: .64

Dec: .73

Jan: .75

Feb: projected to be .78C

If Feb comes in at .78C on GISS and March threw December is the same as it was in 2014 then 2015 would end up 0.72C+ on GISS for the year.

Mind you this is all happening without even a NINO.