• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

Per chance, that wouldn't be a Ned "The Head" Ryerson reference, would it? :thumbsup:

If his is not a Groundhog Day reference...

We have had a pretty intense one move through tonight. I just saw a couple of flashes of lighting, which i have never heard associated with wake lows but saw several cloud to cloud flashes. This wave has lasted for the better part of thirty minutes.

philconnors has to be.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lolz. Gravity waves are "waves" that arise to re establish equilibrium when air is moved from its level of equilibrium. Not sure how to accurately state this without jargon, but it is similar to if you throw a rock in a calm lake, you will observe ripples moving outward once the rock hits the water. The ripples, so the speak, are a form of energy acting to disperse all of that added energy outward.

Gravity waves are everywhere all the time in weather, and very important in weather... What makes you ask?

No freakin way!  The true answer is that gravity waves are responsible for Al Gore and climate change!

That's dumb. Who thinks of this stuff? Can't predict weather 2 days out and people try to predict the end of the world 36 years out. BS. No life. No worse than Dec 21st though.

So BrierCreekWx was banned...lol :yikes:

Didn't realize this whole page has been recent posts, haha whoops. Anyway...I wanted to like the guy because 1) From NCSU, my alma mater  2) Lives in Brier Creek, 5 mins from my home in Northwest Raleigh...sigh oh well, he was a little extreme, which had nothing to do with his opinions but more with his attitude.

Thank you. Not sure how this guy got a red tag?

He has a red tag because he has a meteorology degree and he is very knowledgeable when it comes to winter weather. Just because he isn't telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean he is absolutely wrong.

Agreed with the putting of bollocks aside.

Here's a pic from a few years back of Cheryl Scott, a broadcast met who worked at the NBC station in Knoxville for a few years and is now in the Chicago market. 

cheryl11.jpg

I hope jmundie who frequents these forums sees this.  Historically, he always chimes in when 0Z trends wetter which it may do tonight.

Good times.

Jmundie, Jmundie!!! I don't know what he's going to play.

No it doesn't, but his insistence that everyone else is wrong except him is not right either. When he started in about the strat warming last year and "how did that work out for you?", he was being arrogant in his replies. Not only that, these are two very different strat events and the data from this one is radically different from last year. His whole demeanor when posting was antagonistic and defensive. It's one thing to discuss and even disagree, something I think the mets do very well up here. But there is always someone that knows more than anyone else, is never wrong, will argue just for the sake of arguing, and it creates tension. 

This is weather folks. It's ok to disagree, it's ok for met to disagree, hell, the models disagree. I started coming up here to learn more about the weather with all of these awesome meteorologist. You guys rock. But we can all keep it civil without getting into a pissing contest every time we disagree. Just remember, if you disagree, make sure you can back up what you're saying with factual information. Charts, graphs, examples. Almost every met up here does a great job of that and it makes all the difference, and I hope others will do the same.

Sorry... back to the storm discussion... 

I understand why he had a red tag and I assume the user asked the question because of the issue had and not the fact that anyone did not like him because he did not state what others wanted to hear. To bad he his problem not getting pissed off around here, I liked his thoughts.

He has a red tag because he has a meteorology degree and he is very knowledgeable when it comes to winter weather. Just because he isn't telling you what you want to hear doesn't mean he is absolutely wrong.

That's dumb. Who thinks of this stuff? Can't predict weather 2 days out and people try to predict the end of the world 36 years out. BS. No life. No worse than Dec 21st though.

This stuff isn't actually that hard compared to weather forecasting.  Getting decent data is the hard part*, but once you have that the math is relatively simple.  I did some work on this particular asteroid as part of my senior design project a few years ago--we had to design an unmanned spacecraft and plan a mission to go to Apophis (the asteroid in question) and take measurements.  I was the orbital mechanics guy, and my job was to plan the spacecraft trajectory, simulate measurements of the asteroid's position, and then forecast them forward.  The goal was to figure out the minimum number and duration of measurements sufficient to reduce the 2029 and 2036 forecast errors to a given level.

* Actually, the hardest part is finding the asteroids and comets in the first place.  Space is a pretty big place; asteroids are pretty small in comparison, and a lot of them are dark (which isn't good on a dark background).  We basically have to take lots of photos, and compare them to see what moved.

Also, keep in mind that these guys aren't crackpots with wild hair and pyramid trinkets.  They're engineers and scientists with JPL and the like.  They know what they're talking about.

No it doesn't, but his insistence that everyone else is wrong except him is not right either. When he started in about the strat warming last year and "how did that work out for you?", he was being arrogant in his replies. Not only that, these are two very different strat events and the data from this one is radically different from last year. His whole demeanor when posting was antagonistic and defensive. It's one thing to discuss and even disagree, something I think the mets do very well up here. But there is always someone that knows more than anyone else, is never wrong, will argue just for the sake of arguing, and it creates tension. 

This is weather folks. It's ok to disagree, it's ok for met to disagree, hell, the models disagree. I started coming up here to learn more about the weather with all of these awesome meteorologist. You guys rock. But we can all keep it civil without getting into a pissing contest every time we disagree. Just remember, if you disagree, make sure you can back up what you're saying with factual information. Charts, graphs, examples. Almost every met up here does a great job of that and it makes all the difference, and I hope others will do the same.

Sorry... back to the storm discussion... 

You nailed it Dacula!  I tried to throw out some points contradicting what he was saying earlier in the week and it was like talking to a brick wall. Oh well, I look forward to more model runs and more good discussions/debates for this upcoming pattern change.

You nailed it Dacula!  I tried to throw out some points contradicting what he was saying earlier in the week and it was like talking to a brick wall. Oh well, I look forward to more model runs and more good discussions/debates for this upcoming pattern change.

I hate it he left but I never understood why he got so defensive anyway. Coldrainstr8cashhomey wasn't attacking him in anyway. I originally thought it was a professional debate. Sometimes you just shake your head and say "oh well."

All that needs to happen is for everyone to stop arguing the future as if it were set in stone no matter what their opinion. In all the years I've been on this board, I can't remember a single winter storm where we were sure what was going to happen 10 hours before it began, much less 10 days.  I don't care what your degree is in or how much experience you have, 10 days out it's an opinion.

I agree on a 10-day forecast... there's no point in arguing it.  And, that's why I'm glad we were going back and forth on what has happened since December 1st and the strong SE ridge which has just taken a dominating role during the last couple of weeks.

Back in December, we were all primarily focused on the PDO (as we were last winter) and cold pool of water in the gulf of alaska.  We weren't focused on meager ridging south of us which is always present down in parts of the Caribbean and portions of the bahamas.  Back in December, those pacific maritime airmasses sent short wavelength after short wavelength followed by numerous kickers down ESE off the west coast.  These short wavelength patterns aren't what we want in winter because they lock the cold in Canada.  We needed a longer wavelength pattern.

Now, most of this board is seeing a longwave pattern materialize and a positive PNA pattern to our west is partly responsible.  Any ridging down to the south and east will get handled most likely.

Anyway, I'm not any more a fan of long-range forecasting than you all are.  We need a storm on the table so we can do some short-range.

Archived