joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29 Winter Storm OBS/Disco Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah amazing...a low a bit outside of benchmark track trending more towards what seems to be a better solution....and suddenly rain enters the picture lol. south and east equals a couple inches of snow....north and west trend equals good positioning of low, yet rain and still just a couple inches

We're probably going to be nail-biting until game time with this one. The Jan 2005 clipper was progged to be an interior NJ jackpot until the nowcasting period, when it was obvious the coastal was deepening quickly, with intense banding from CNJ to LI.

I'm not willing to guarantee anything w/ this event until it starts precipitating tomorrow.

Poor trends tonight, looks like another mostly interior-favored event. We coastal bums have to hope the precip starts earlier so that we don't warm up much after the morning lows, and that dynamics can somehow overcome a torched boundary layer. If those don't pan out, I would expect very little, other than maybe some slush at the end.

850s are -4C for NYC at 18 hours and -3C at 24 hours with precipitation falling both frames...looks fine to me.

0z GFS looks like a nice hit with close to .4" QPF in NYC metro.

The soundings for LGA are all boundary layer warmth, it tries to do that funny 925mb nose at 21Z but at that point the coastal is already well underway as fat as development. The GFS is having all sorts of problems with the boundary layer, by the wya the NAM MOS for LGA shows 35/26 at 06Z tonight, its already was 33/23. at 03Z.

850s are -4C for NYC at 18 hours and -3C at 24 hours with precipitation falling both frames...looks fine to me.

0z GFS looks like a nice hit with close to .4" QPF in NYC metro.

The surface low needs to intensify faster, plain and simple. Take a look at the 950-sfc level. For early afternoon in NYC, this is well above freezing if it's correct. Not going to stick with temps in the 35-37 degree range

2wfof3q.jpg

The problem isnt at 850hPa, it is below that...

Models are notorious for overdoing boundary layer warmth and not accounting for dynamic/evaporational cooling. I always look at the track of a storm to determine whether we're going to be snow, and as a secondary factor I look at temps and dewpoints. A low tracking from the VA Capes to just off the Benchmark in late December with dews in the 20s across the area equals snow to me.

Also, why are people looking at NAM/GFS temperatures? 12z ECM had a cold temperature profile that supported accumulating snowfall across the area. The ECM nailed the last storm with 2.5" snowfall here then significant sleet/freezing rain before the change to rain while the NAM/GFS had mostly rain in Westchester until the last minute. The ECM is the steady hand in this storm, showing 2-4" snowfall with cold temperatures. Why people would doubt the King is beyond me...

Archived