Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - 2012 wanes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to measure here but I measured 1.3 here. Last night driving to friends party over the ridge near Stormstown was kind of crazy....They seemed to have a bit more there, a few inches and the roads were a mess from drifting. They said if they get like 6 inches or so with wind, the road leading up is their place is really bad due to no snow fence and a big field to the west.

Holy crap, it looks like winter out there. Glad to get our long November over with for now.

JB's take on the 25-28th storm.

lets hope the new run of the gfs was a hiccup.

https://twitter.com/...er.com/R2cTBpYb

Just about every single storm we've ever had involved a GFS hiccup run. Every single storm had a freakout of some level similar to what I am seeing around the whole board.

In the just-as-silly category, we have a freaking snow map already from JB.

Man. That's such a bad idea at this point.

Just about every single storm we've ever had involved a GFS hiccup run. Every single storm had a freakout of some level similar to what I am seeing around the whole board.

In the just-as-silly category, we have a freaking snow map already from JB.

Man. That's such a bad idea at this point.

im curious to see what the new euro shows..

Really windy here. The lights keep flickering, hope we don't lose power. Today is on track to be windier than sandy. Had a wind run of 97 miles on Oct. 30th, we're already at 89.2 miles. Highest gust recorded here so far (30 mph) also exceeds the highest gust recorded here during Sandy (25 mph).

Experiencing periodic flurries as well.

Really windy here. The lights keep flickering, hope we don't lose power. Today is on track to be windier than sandy. Had a wind run of 97 miles on Oct. 30th, we're already at 89.2 miles. Highest gust recorded here so far (30 mph) also exceeds the highest gust recorded here during Sandy (25 mph).

Experiencing periodic flurries as well.

what do you mean by this?

sorry for my stupidity but i have no clue what your saying here (bolded part)?

what do you mean by this?

sorry for my stupidity but i have no clue what your saying here (bolded part)?

"A measurement of how much wind has passed a given point in a period of time. A wind blowing at three miles per hour for an entire hour would give a wind run of three miles.

Cumulus calculates wind run by noting the average wind speed every minute, and adding in a minute's worth of 'distance' corresponding to that speed. So the wind run for a particular period is effectively an indication of the average wind speed over that period. A wind run of 240 miles over the course of a day, for example, means that the average wind speed over the day was 10 mph."

It basically allows one to measure how windy a given period is, at least, that's what I use it for. You can divide wind run by the measurement period and determine average wind speed, including gusts, for said period:

Today (so far): 105 miles/ 13.5 hours = 7.8 mph

10/29/2012 (Period which registered Sandy's lowest pressure): 97.4 miles/24 hours = 4.05 mph

Mets might have another use, or might not use it at all. I had never heard of it until I started using Cumulus software for my PWS.

Archived