Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - 2012 wanes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow they closed 322 and PA 350 west of here. Just reopened.

Ugh, i bet those roads were nightmares. I guess Blair county has had issues too. It's hard to see the slush on the road and if your not really paying attention to the conditions you'll find yourself in trouble quick.

Not to get in the way of you guys about to get the region's first real snow, this is CTP's Harrisburg forecast next week. A week out and this wording is very unlike CTP.

Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Low of 30F with a windchill as low as 16F. Windy. Winds from the NE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 70% with heavy snow possible.

Thursday Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 39F with a windchill as low as 21F. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Not to get in the way of you guys about to get the region's first real snow, this is CTP's Harrisburg forecast next week. A week out and this wording is very unlike CTP.

You know, I see odd stuff like that sometimes. This is the Harrisburg forecast now: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.27533480732468&lon=-76.87820434570312

I'll see something weird in the forecast that will be there for like five minutes.

What exactly was the source of that forecast? I checked both Harrisburg's point-and-click as well as dauphin county forecasts and neither of them say anything like that.

Verbatim....entire suq. valley & central pa gets 2 to 4" of snow Christmas Eve night into wee-hours Christmas Day...then a 30-hour respite....then we get demolished with 10 to 15" more of snow. So, how does 12 to 19" of snow in less than 3 days sound?? Then temps get colder and colder through New Years with another big storm coming around the 2nd. WOW!

PS>>>Pressure has been falling very rapidly past four hours at a rate of 3.3mb / 0.10" Hg per hour. That's some cold front heading our way. As of 12:39am station pressure now down to 29.41" or 996mb. Gonna be some high winds out there when the front passes through.

Verbatim....entire suq. valley & central pa gets 2 to 4" of snow Christmas Eve night into wee-hours Christmas Day...then a 30-hour respite....then we get demolished with 10 to 15" more of snow. So, how does 12 to 19" of snow in less than 3 days sound?? Then temps get colder and colder through New Years with another big storm coming around the 2nd. WOW!

yeah the GFS sure does look nice tonight...

The precip last night is a good example of why it is bad to make forecasts solely on model output. The rain/sleet/snow/mix/etc moved through western and central PA nearly 9-12 hours faster than the models were projecting it to. This quick departure killed a number of forecasts that the rain would change to snow before ending during the overnight hours when it ended for a lot of places late last evening. The high for today for KMDT will go down as 50 degrees when temperatures will be much colder than that for the majority of the day. Now time to see what will develop from the lake effect potential.

As for the 0z GFS... it gives MDT nearly 2" of precip as snow through the end of next week... wow :-)

Wow what a fizzle. Went to bed 2-4" of snow predicted today,100% chance of snow. This morning POOF - 40% chance snow less than a 1/2" of snow today.

But we did pick up over an inch of rain.

Yep....I don't know. I sort of didn't have a good feeling with this one.

I just woke up and all I can say, Epic Fail!!! :lol:

Aren't you in Johnstown? You still are likely to get advisory totals.

The precip last night is a good example of why it is bad to make forecasts solely on model output. The rain/sleet/snow/mix/etc moved through western and central PA nearly 9-12 hours faster than the models were projecting it to. This quick departure killed a number of forecasts that the rain would change to snow before ending during the overnight hours when it ended for a lot of places late last evening. The high for today for KMDT will go down as 50 degrees when temperatures will be much colder than that for the majority of the day. Now time to see what will develop from the lake effect potential.

As for the 0z GFS... it gives MDT nearly 2" of precip as snow through the end of next week... wow :-)

The NAM nailed it but seemed to be ignored.

Archived