SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50.5F at 4300' on the MWN Autoroad right now. That 48F on MWN was interesting. They had a really dry layer move through the summit that spiked the temp up and the dp down. They had been running in the 30s with dps below freezing, but they had that brief spike to 48/8. Now they're back to 40/20s.

Got down to 33F here in the pea soup. Up to 37F now. The snowpack is soft and wet. Higher spots in the yard that experienced some BLSN in late Dec are beginning to show signs of bareness. That will really get eaten away over the next 24hrs.

34.7F  vis 1/8 fog.   Well as I expected the "torch" will barely ever arrive in my location.  Cold air seems to love this place.  I have not been above 35F yet this weekend.  No sun either so the snowpack is going to remain through this "warm" stretch.  Probably some bare spots on the south slopes but thats it unless the sun comes out this PM to any degree.

Newfound Lake is almost wide open.  Very impressive for mid January.  That will change later this week finally!

34.7F  vis 1/8 fog.   Well as I expected the "torch" will barely ever arrive in my location.  Cold air seems to love this place.  I have not been above 35F yet this weekend.  No sun either so the snowpack is going to remain through this "warm" stretch.  Probably some bare spots on the south slopes but thats it unless the sun comes out this PM to any degree.

Newfound Lake is almost wide open.  Very impressive for mid January.  That will change later this week finally!

Tonight into tomorrow will be the biggest hit. Once we mix out fully with the cold frontal passage we'll get a temp spike into the 40s/near 50 with sun. This is a weak sauce cold front though so we'll remain above normal until the end of the work week.

Freak, you oughtta do a time lapse. I always thought it'd be cool to take a pic at noon from the same spot every day for a year and then make a loop out of it.

Jayhawk,

I have a high resolution netcam and everyday  (but not at the same time)  I take a snapshot and place the jpeg in a folder.  So I can easily go back and compare pictures.  I don't know how to loop them however.  The picture is always at the same angle, except that this year I moved the camera slightly to it doesn't match exactly to 2012..  For instance here is todays and from Jan 14 2012

post-268-0-25175000-1358106455_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-30497500-1358106585_thumb.jpg

Jayhawk,

I have a high resolution netcam and everyday  (but not at the same time)  I take a snapshot and place the jpeg in a folder.  So I can easily go back and compare pictures.  I don't know how to loop them however.  The picture is always at the same angle, except that this year I moved the camera slightly to it doesn't match exactly to 2012..  For instance here is todays and from Jan 14 2012

Old article, but it still works.. Free software can create a movie from series of .jpg (or other format) images

http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=34

Jayhawk,

I have a high resolution netcam and everyday (but not at the same time) I take a snapshot and place the jpeg in a folder. So I can easily go back and compare pictures. I don't know how to loop them however. The picture is always at the same angle, except that this year I moved the camera slightly to it doesn't match exactly to 2012.. For instance here is todays and from Jan 14 2012

My photoshop program allows me to animate ... would be a neat idea I think. I completely forgot about your camera. Ideal setup!

Unbelievable inversion this morning...

I had 33F at my house at 750ft (snow depth 8.5", so -1.5" last 24 hours) and crusted snow... temp stayed pretty steady and dropped to 32F at 1,500ft base of the mountain with ice on trucks/railings, etc from freezing fog. 

Temp profile:

4,000ft...47F

3,600ft...42F

2,600ft...46F

1,500ft...32F

750ft...33F

The groomers say its been wild watching the thermometers in the snowcats tonight... you find that line low down on the mountain and they say within like a couple hundred feet the temp goes up like 10 degrees and you can feel the warm breeze.

What's awesome is I had no idea how tight a line that actually was when I posted this in the pre-dawn darkness. 

It was 32F and chilly down at 1,500ft in the base area, but literally like 100-200 feet higher it was 10F+ warmer and out of the fog.  This photo shows that inversion that is extremely tight to the base area... you entered the fog at the parking lot and all the sudden it felt really damp and cold.  Awesome stuff.

422301_10151171686972382_2122751040_n.jp

You should sign up for a wunderground webcams account.  You just give them the link to your image and tell them how often it updates.  They'll archive them and generate daily time lapse videos. 

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/signup.html

Mine:  http://wunderground.com/webcams/ScottNH/2/show.html

Still hovering between 35-36F, but the 40s are hovering right off the deck. The fog was ridic on my way home...at the top of my hill it was literally about 10ft.

Absolutely wild stuff here this morning... its warm but I find these temp set-ups fascinating.

37F at my house at 750ft (MVL was 37F at the same time, so I know its legit)...minimal snow loss continues on the whole down in the valley.  Yes its melting, but we may make it through only losing about 5-6" (from 12-13" to 6-7") in town.

Up at the mountain right now, the roar of water pouring through the streams is fairly unnerving. 

We have a 30-foot temp of 55F right now (high of 57F) but our temp at only a few feet off the snow surface is 40F.  I don't even know if that makes sense, but that's what I'm seeing.  Is it possible to have that much of a difference between near snow surface and a couple stories up?

You can see the 56F at this independent site here at 1800ft though I believe that is on a roof where the Redman's web cam is.  That is not a ski area site, but I can confirm other elevated sensors are showing the same thing.

Overall though, we are looking at about a 20F spread right now on RT 108 there from where it says "Stowe" (my house is near the "S") up to the 56F here.  Stowe Forks is where the road really starts to climb and goes over 1,000ft just past there.

What's awesome is I had no idea how tight a line that actually was when I posted this in the pre-dawn darkness.

It was 32F and chilly down at 1,500ft in the base area, but literally like 100-200 feet higher it was 10F+ warmer and out of the fog. This photo shows that inversion that is extremely tight to the base area... you entered the fog at the parking lot and all the sudden it felt really damp and cold. Awesome stuff.

I skied Middlebury Snowbowl yesterday and found the same amazing inversion. The car thermometer read 38F all the to elevation 1700, and then it jumped to 49F at the base lodge when we arrived there at 11:30. I rode the lift up at 12:00 and the warm breeze increased noticeably at around elevation 2200. I didn't have a thermometer (I should have checked with the ski patrol, d'oh!) but I suspect it was 60F on top the mountain. Remarkable.

Archived