• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread II

dryslot

We need a meterological definition for a 'torch'. ;)

And I was really just commenting on how much cooler it's stayed today than earlier indications led us to believe....at least on this side of the mountains. Not that I mind in the slightest, mind you, ha-ha.

And we'll never get one...

My ill-considered opinion is:

--winter, 2 or more day streak of +10 (mean) or one day of +15.  For just daily maxima, add 5 to those numbers.

--Summer, somewhere in the +6-+8 range for multiple days, means or maxima, +10 for a single day. 

YM'will'V!

That line of precip has reached here, with SN beginning around 4:30.  An hour earlier, GYX had posted a snowsquall advisory.  Though the snow is coming down pretty good, it's also falling straight, and - to me - a snowsquall includes wind.  But any snow is good snow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see anything more than a few flurries today.

High at MVL looks like 31F at the moment...huge temp spreads around the area with the west slopes all above freezing. BTV and Montpelier in upper 30s...I'm surprised by the 39F at MPV while MVL and 1V4 are near 30F.

Didn't lose any snow today and still 12" at the stake at home.

Didn't see anything more than a few flurries today.

High at MVL looks like 31F at the moment...huge temp spreads around the area with the west slopes all above freezing. BTV and Montpelier in upper 30s...I'm surprised by the 39F at MPV while MVL and 1V4 are near 30F.

Didn't lose any snow today and still 12" at the stake at home.

Not sure whether it's the elevation at the airport in Berlin being a couple hundred feet higher and less sheltered than my house, but we never got above freezing IMBY until well after sunset. And as I type this the airport is reporting 41 and I'm at 35. I'm usually a degree or two warmer than KMPV.

Not sure whether it's the elevation at the airport in Berlin being a couple hundred feet higher and less sheltered than my house, but we never got above freezing IMBY until well after sunset. And as I type this the airport is reporting 41 and I'm at 35. I'm usually a degree or two warmer than KMPV.

I just looked at the thermometer and all the sudden it's in the low 40s! I thought it must be a mistake but it's gotten windy and we mustve mixed out.

MVL jumped from 31F at 6pm to 41F at 8pm!

What's even odder, is that the temp came up so fast but now it's snowing (more like grauple) at 41F.

We need a meterological definition for a 'torch'. ;)

And I was really just commenting on how much cooler it's stayed today than earlier indications led us to believe....at least on this side of the mountains. Not that I mind in the slightest, mind you, ha-ha.

Haha, yeah the cold shallow moist air just wouldn't scour out. For me, if I still have to wear my winter coat, it's not a torch!  :thumbsup:  :lol:

I just looked at the thermometer and all the sudden it's in the low 40s! I thought it must be a mistake but it's gotten windy and we mustve mixed out.

MVL jumped from 31F at 6pm to 41F at 8pm!

What's even odder, is that the temp came up so fast but now it's snowing (more like grauple) at 41F.

Yeah, I'm up to 38 now from 35 not half an hour ago...getting pretty darn breezy here too. It's like someone flushed the atmospheric toilet!

Snow pellets falling pretty moderately here, though it's still 35°. Winds were pretty strong but have slacked off the last half hour. Hey PF....how much snowpack do you think will be left after this weekend?...outside the ski resorts, I mean.

Edit: Wow that was quick, down to 33° now and regular snow ripping...already a coating.

Black ice fest on the way in to work.  Tractor trailer unable to negotiate a hill, a car that found  the ditch on both sides of the road.  Interestingly the small towns I pass through did a great job with treating the road surface; it was only the larger towns like Gorham and Scarborough that decided to save money.

Winds are ripping off the lake. Too bad it's 39F. Doesn't feel much like jan. I guess we'll be able to chaulk up a good week's worth of lost winter so far this month. Some say this winter is nothing like last winter. I'm not sure I'd agree and we've got 26" of snow to go to tie last years total. Doesn't seem like much, but winter's just seem to slip away anymore. I hope things change for the better, but it'll be feb before too long.

Black ice fest on the way in to work.  Tractor trailer unable to negotiate a hill, a car that found  the ditch on both sides of the road.  Interestingly the small towns I pass through did a great job with treating the road surface; it was only the larger towns like Gorham and Scarborough that decided to save money.

I'm just hearing about this now from some people getting to the office. Really surprised, considering temps are near 40, and were right there when the showers came through too.

Best I can come up with is either the roads remained below freezing (unlikely since it wasn't cold for THAT long last night) or the low dews and winds assisted in enough evaporational cooling to get road surfaces below freezing.

I'm just hearing about this now from some people getting to the office. Really surprised, considering temps are near 40, and were right there when the showers came through too.

Best I can come up with is either the roads remained below freezing (unlikely since it wasn't cold for THAT long last night) or the low dews and winds assisted in enough evaporational cooling to get road surfaces below freezing.

Road temps across Vermont this morning (courtesy of VTRANS) are 25-30F.

Yeah, I was surprised too.  My car  thermo read 36 or 37F the whole way in, but I did have a coating of ice on the windshield, so I was somewhat forewarned.

Air temp maybe above freezing but the asphalt temps are not after the amount of cold we have had

Black ice fest on the way in to work. Tractor trailer unable to negotiate a hill, a car that found the ditch on both sides of the road. Interestingly the small towns I pass through did a great job with treating the road surface; it was only the larger towns like Gorham and Scarborough that decided to save money.

No kidding! Weird morning all around between the mild temps, gusty winds and that black ice.

After almost sliding through 2 intersections and realizing I needed to take it slow, I had some jacka$$ come roaring up behind me on Rte. 9 in Scarborough (Pine Point Rd.) and aggressively tailgate before raoring past me and everyone else at the next interesection. Hopefully if he gets anyone killed it'll just be him.

Too late for a special statement at this point?

Air temp maybe above freezing but the asphalt temps are not after the amount of cold we have had

Initially that was my thought. We did have sun and got above freezing yesterday, so that should have really done a number to get the roads back close to freezing I would think (even after the cold morning yesterday). Then again these are the things that I tend to miss while I'm sleeping from dawn until dusk.

Initially that was my thought. We did have sun and got above freezing yesterday, so that should have really done a number to get the roads back close to freezing I would think (even after the cold morning yesterday). Then again these are the things that I tend to miss while I'm sleeping from dawn until dusk.

lol, We stayed MC skies here yesterday, When i left for work this am, There was a lot of moisture (sweat) coming to the surface of the asphalt so that looks to be the culprit for the blk ice earlier in the am

Archived