• Created
  • Last Reply

...LAMOILLE COUNTY...

SMUGGLERS NOTCH 16.0 330 PM 12/27 SKI RESORT

STOWE 11.5 400 PM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 SW JEFFERSONVILLE 9.5 630 PM 12/27 TRAINED SPOTTER

CAMBRIDGE 9.5 433 PM 12/27 PUBLIC

MOUNT MANSFIELD 5.5 400 PM 12/27 CO-OP OBSERVER

Ok, someone please explain to me how that Mansfield total works. I mean...why so low??

Its their collection method. I could write a paper about it and now have enough pictures of my snow board from storms to pretty much prove that they report about 1/2 of annual actual snowfall.

They use an 8-inch diameter rain gauge and measure the snow that falls into that can. Now the thing is situated on wind-swept rock near the summit, so its not surprising that flakes moving sideways at 60mph fail to fall straight down into a rain gauge.

I've recorded easily 3 times the amount they have, by using a snow board in a sheltered location down 1,000ft from the ridge. My snowpack is the same as the stake, but my snowfall is much higher than where they measure.

It is important to note... where they measure DEPTH is not the same as where they measure NEW. Depth is in a sheltered spot where snowfall is likely accurate, but they measure the new snow up on rocks at the summit. It is not a surprise they are so low because there's never any snow up there. It all blows somewhere else.

Had 7.5" here as of 6:00pm , And then got into some wraparound from the low in the GOM and picked up an additional 2.5" for a total of 10.0" here

Might have gotten 1/2" from that, and the 0.1" overnight makes my total 7.1" from 0.69" LE. 12-13" at the stake and all looks great. However, totals from other places indicate that the Rt 2 snow shield (Franklin-Somerset only) appears to be working (slightly) again this year.

Event totals: 15.5” Snow/1.15” L.E.

There was 0.1” of final accumulation from the front side of the system after 6:00 P.M. yesterday, and an additional 0.4” of back side snow overnight to tack on 0.5” to the snow to the storm total.

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches
New Liquid: 0.04 inches
Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5
Snow Density: 8.0% H2O
Temperature: 24.2 F
Sky: Cloudy
Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

Only a dusting got added overnight. The "grand" total was only about 6 inches. It seemed like more but I didn't measure more than that anywhere. Really had only about a tenth of an inch after 2:30 pm, no wrap around and with the storm going more E-W we never got into upslope that comes to me with a low that is more to the north than this ended up. In the 4 winters here in the house, our biggest storm is still the 14 inches on April 27/28 2010 storm. I really have to go back and look at the track of that storm because most big storms seem to disappoint here. Oh well modified expectations.

Only a dusting got added overnight. The "grand" total was only about 6 inches. It seemed like more but I didn't measure more than that anywhere. Really had only about a tenth of an inch after 2:30 pm, no wrap around and with the storm going more E-W we never got into upslope that comes to me with a low that is more to the north than this ended up.

Yes, an underperformer although still beautiful. I am somewhere around 8". No more after 3p yesterday.

These NWS guys know where the fun is at...unfortunately the snow growth region sounds to be too high, we are getting that mixture of freezing fog/mist on Mansfield. Riming things up quickly, but can lead to some visibility issues on the higher terrain due to goggle freezing fog/mist. Not affecting snow surfaces though.

The 1-2" we picked up on the mountain last night was surprisingly dense...made up of very small flakes (like a snow drizzle). It's one of those situations where if snow growth was good in that 4-8kft range, we probably would've ended up with an additional 6" last night.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 930 AM EST FRIDAY...QUICK UPDATE TO FCST TO LOWER POPS ACRS

THE FA AND MENTION SOME PATCHY FREEZING DRIZZLE. SOUNDINGS SHOW

PLENTY OF LLVL MOISTURE THIS MORNING...BUT VERY LIMITED RH IN THE

FAVORABLE SNOW GROWTH REGION...THEREFORE EXPECT SOME PATCHY FREEZING

DRIZZLE...ESPECIALLY ABOVE 2000 FT. JUST HEARD BACK FROM A NWS

WORKER WHO IS ENJOYING THE SNOW IN THE MTNS TODAY AND REPORTS SOME

FREEZING DRIZZLE...ALONG WITH SOME LIGHT SNOW PELLETS. NOT

ANTICIPATING ANY SIGNIFICANT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION.

OTHERWISE...REST OF FCST IN GOOD SHAPE.

There were 0.1” of final accumulation from the front side of the system after 6:00 P.M. yesterday, and an additional 0.4” of back side snow overnight to tack on 0.5” to the snow to the storm total.

with that in the books, you're now on track to for average december at your spot, then?

I like the trends for the models for tomorrow afternoon/night. NAM now showing most of VT with 0.25-0.5" QPF once you factor in backside NW flow that lingers into Sunday.

I could see a nice 2-4/3-6" refresh event.

I can see that. This pattern wants to make snow.

Pretty easy in times like this to get 3 or 4 inches of fluff on the mountains.

There were 0.1” of final accumulation from the front side of the system after 6:00 P.M. yesterday, and an additional 0.4” of back side snow overnight to tack on 0.5” to the snow to the storm total.

I was just looking at the CoCoRAHS data and we must've had some bad snow growth in Stowe or something. The CoCoRAHS observer came in with a 2-day total of 11.8" while I measured 12.5". The liquid equiv here in Stowe came out to be 1.10" which is actually in line with areas just to the south of here, but for some reason we came out with a pretty standard 11:1 ratio.

Areas in Waterbury Center and I-89 area definitely picked up an additional 3-6" so I wonder if there was just a bit better snow growth down there or something.

I was just looking at the CoCoRAHS data and we must've had some bad snow growth in Stowe or something. The CoCoRAHS observer came in with a 2-day total of 11.8" while I measured 12.5". The liquid equiv here in Stowe came out to be 1.10" which is actually in line with areas just to the south of here, but for some reason we came out with a pretty standard 11:1 ratio.

Areas in Waterbury Center and I-89 area definitely picked up an additional 3-6" so I wonder if there was just a bit better snow growth down there or something.

I had another 0.3" last night for a storm total of 17.2". I wonder if the lower elevation allowed for a little more growth...

Well it looks like we have more snow coming... synoptic 2-4" followed by another 2-4" from upslope.

BTV map shows a general 4-8" amounts for towns on east and west side of the Spine, but looks like they are favoring the west side for the highest totals.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO 1 PM

EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO

1 PM EST SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS MOUNTAINS IN NEW YORK...WESTERN

SLOPES OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS...INCLUDING PORTIONS OF NORTH

CENTRAL VERMONT...AND PARTS OF THE EASTERN CHAMPLAIN VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW...WITH LOCALIZED 6 TO 8

INCHES FROM NEAR JAY PEAK TO UNDERHILL TO RIPTON TO KILLINGTON.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL DEVELOP BY MID MORNING SATURDAY AND

BECOME BRIEFLY HEAVY AT TIMES SATURDAY AFTERNOON...BEFORE

TAPERING OFF TO OCCASIONAL UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS SATURDAY NIGHT INTO

SUNDAY.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED.

* WINDS...NORTH 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS 18 TO 25. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE.

* VISIBILITIES...BELOW ONE MILE AT TIMES ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND

SATURDAY NIGHT.

Zone forecast for Lamoille County:

Saturday: Snow...mainly in the afternoon. Snow accumulation a dusting to 2 inches. Highs in the mid 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Saturday Night: Snow until midnight...then occasional snow showers after midnight. Additional snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Lows around 11. Light and variable winds. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Sunday: Snow showers likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Highs around 14. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Archived